• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

No Name Powerhead

Look like knock off Tunze pumps. Only issue I think would be the suction cups. They usually go bad after a bit and lose suction

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I am currently running one in my 90 gallon tank, it's the model with two propellers. Moving around 3600 GPH. I had two Koralia's but one of the magnetic shafts for the Koralia's broke so I needed a cheap replacement quick. I highly suggest the ones with the magnetic mounts, I heard too many stories about the suction cups not holding up and causing a sand storm. The only down side to these powerheads are the wattage they use up compared to a Koralia. They will most likely start up in reverse more often then you would like too. Other then those cons, they are pretty good powerheads for the price.

Also would 2 of these be good enough for a standard 75 gal? I figured I'd use 1 or both of the smaller ones I have to put behind the rockwork. Would that be to much flow at that point or should I still be okay?

if they both pump out 1300 gph you're looking at a ~34x turnover circulation rate :) plus your return & the little ones(how big are they?) should be great for an SPS tank. unless you're fish are having a prob swimming and you're not creating a sandstorm, I've seen some crazy flow going through some tanks.

if they both pump out 1300 gph you're looking at a ~34x turnover circulation rate :) plus your return & the little ones(how big are they?) should be great for an SPS tank. unless you're fish are having a prob swimming and you're not creating a sandstorm, I've seen some crazy flow going through some tanks.

I have 2 older Koralia 500 or 750. Not 100% though. They were given to me with my original tank.

So if I put them high up they would be okayish. Its a mixed tank so it would probably be overkill or not good for lps?

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
i say one would be good for your tank and you can use the 750 to supplement it. The 3600 gph i currently have creates amazing flow. better then i expected.

Well I have 2 of these on the way. I'll let you's know how they work out for me. I figured I'd put one of the smaller ones behind the rockwork.

Second Question is placement. I was thinking either one in the front one in the back midway up going strait across or up high facing opposite lower corners. What would be better. Also open to suggestions.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
how many power heads do you have? two? three? If only two, I would say mid back, facing opposite corners it will cause turbulence in the center of the tank which will create some random flow. I would also suggest pointing your output from your return to the surface to cause agitation. If you have three, I would put both mid way on opposite sides of tank and one on the back facing the front, pointed to the surface. You might have to adjust accordingly to prevent some sand pickup but sometimes it inevitable. lol

So these things work GREAT. I really like them. I ended up having to put them a little low and facing up so I didn't get a whirlpool affect. But all in all I like them so far.

Also they produce enough flow I didn't have to put a small guy behind the rock work.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
So these things work GREAT. I really like them. I ended up having to put them a little low and facing up so I didn't get a whirlpool affect. But all in all I like them so far.

Also they produce enough flow I didn't have to put a small guy behind the rock work.

glad they are working out for you!

I love no-name pumps.. they make my water move and that's all they are supposed to do. Don't take advice from HerbieK though..... His fish are abused by water movement devices to the point where many just drag themselves along the front glass cause they are unable to swim in the water stream. I think he never got ich because the spores were all like WTF.... I cant swim thru this crap to bite any fish..

On my 33L it was my first set-up with a sump. Having 2 drains and only one return i was told to get a pump that'll do at least 700GPH. So I bought this Odyssea rated at 712GPH and even at 3 1/2-4ft of lift I still had to dial it down alot. I dont think there is anything wrong with no name pumps or powerheads. I just couldn't see spending $90+ on a single return pump. I also bought one of those no name 800GPH powerheads to use in my salt mixing bucket. Works awesome and gets the salt broken down in no time.

http://www.aquatraders.com/Odyssea-WP700-Water-Pump-p/72012.htm