• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

No Name Powerhead

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
A grounding probe and GFCI are not a bad idea. I run a grounding probe in my sump to relieve any stray voltage that may be present in the tank due to the pumps and powerheads.

A grounding probe and GFCI are not a bad idea. I run a grounding probe in my sump to relieve any stray voltage that may be present in the tank due to the pumps and powerheads.

So I would need just one ground probe? Or do I need one in each the sump and tank? The GFCI is simple enough so I'll do that as well.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
one probe is enough, you can either place it in the main display or the sump.

If there are electrical devices in each, it would be best to have one in each, since there is no true circuit between them.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If there are electrical devices in each, it would be best to have one in each, since there is no true circuit between them.

There is a solid column of water in your return line....unless you've got something unconventional. That solid column is the path current will take between your DT and sump.

I'm also biting my tongue on my opinion about voltage and current and grounding probes. I've stated my opinion too many times.

There is a solid column of water in your return line....unless you've got something unconventional. That solid column is the path current will take between your DT and sump.

I'm also biting my tongue on my opinion about voltage and current and grounding probes. I've stated my opinion too many times.

What happens when you turn off the return pumps, i.e. for feeding?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Oh Jim, I’m trying to hold back…..I’m trying….I’m…..Oh crap! :grin:

There is voltage and there is current. And then there are those who think grounding probes are a good thing. :p

Voltage is like having a battery sitting in your junk draw in your kitchen. It just sits there and nothing happens. This is what happens with your tank if you have voltage leakage without a ground. That is, nothing! The voltage has nowhere to go.

Current in the flow of voltage. Ouch. It’s when that voltage now has a place to go…..when we stick our hands in the tank and you have a voltage leak, and you feel that tingle, that’s current finding a path to ground through your body. Up until you stuck your hand in the tank, everything was copacetic.

A grounding probe protects YOU and doesn’t let you know that you have a problem with your tank. It allows current to flow through your tank. The only reason you should put in a grounding probe in you tank is if it is in concert with a GFI where the current through the probe will kick the GFI.

I will step off my soapbox now….hopefully for the last time.

Oh Jim, I’m trying to hold back…..I’m trying….I’m…..Oh crap! :grin:

There is voltage and there is current. And then there are those who think grounding probes are a good thing. :p

Voltage is like having a battery sitting in your junk draw in your kitchen. It just sits there and nothing happens. This is what happens with your tank if you have voltage leakage without a ground. That is, nothing! The voltage has nowhere to go.

Current in the flow of voltage. Ouch. It’s when that voltage now has a place to go…..when we stick our hands in the tank and you have a voltage leak, and you feel that tingle, that’s current finding a path to ground through your body. Up until you stuck your hand in the tank, everything was copacetic.

A grounding probe protects YOU and doesn’t let you know that you have a problem with your tank. It allows current to flow through your tank. The only reason you should put in a grounding probe in you tank is if it is in concert with a GFI where the current through the probe will kick the GFI.

I will step off my soapbox now….hopefully for the last time.

It might be prudent to get a ground probe for both your DT and sump/fuge, and use a GFCI.

:confused: Isn't this exactly what I said in my original post????

So 2 happened to create to many bare spots in the sand and it looked like a some of the lps were not happy(bubble, acans) so I have them on timers rotating. Ones on and off with the lights and the other kicks on when its lights out. I'll probably put them on a 8 hr rotation once I pick up the digital timers.

Thanks for the idea Jim.