• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

November 2007 - Meeting Sun Nov 18-Thanks & Recap

Sometimes I think it feels that way! Somehow I got the feeling some obstacle is going to popup keeping me from doing the real big tank. It's a nagging feeling. The other stuff is a done deal without much thought involved. It's amazing how much grief it is to get permits from the city to expand your house and add a room. I'm already looking at "alternatives" like attached greenhouses, I mean sunrooms etc to get what I need to happen.

Carlo

Somehow, I alays thought that if you go for those mega tanks, the natural source of light should be natural Sun. Burning thousands of wats of halids, pcs or t5s seems to me a bit aout of sync with the whole idea.

I'm definitely thinking poly (glass like) roof. It would still need additional light however. I'm actually trying to find a digital PAR meter with computer interface that I can use with some programming to turn on/off lights based on the natural light available. I've thought the system out quite a bit. In many ways, I'm going to be doing what some public aquariums do. I've picked up a bunch of ideas from the consulting I've done at some of them.

The main problem I'm having is that in the town I live in you have to have X amount of land per square foot of building/house. Since I already have the basketball court, swimming pool, shed, cement patio, other patio etc they reduce the yard by those values. I'm trying to get a variance but it's been struck down 2 times so it looks like something or a couple of things need to go to exchange for the room. The basketball court and shed are easy to get rid off but it's not quite enough. If I were to remove the cement patio that could also work but then I'd have a different issue I'd have to address. It's crazy.

Carlo

Don't feel bad every town has regulations for building coverage and lot coverage. And they're only going to get more restrictive in the coming years.

Put the new greenhouse over the pool and throw some salt in and call it a day.

You don't know how many times I've thought about that.

Sure would make one big FO tank with little restriction on size of the fish. :)

Carlo

Carlo,

I have found a great idea for you:

The rest of their designs are really bad (aquascaping and stocking) but that one is really something with such enormous potentials ;D

I like that bottom tank alot. Reminds me of a couple of the tanks at Adventure Aquarium. Wouldn't be to bad to work on either.

That top tank would be a monster to work on!

Carlo