• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

October 31 Days Photos

Day 19 The trumpet coral is my second LPS coral. It looked more yellow when I got it as a single head with a few palys on it. The palys disappeared quickly so I epoxied around the dase for future stability. It is one of the hardest corals to get good pictures of as it fluoresces all the time. Below is a picture of it eating after it had divided.
Day 19 Trumpet coral new.JPG

Day 19 Trumpet Coral  old.JPG

Great Pics !!!!!!!
I like the yellow tangs myself, I have 3 of them but ma. Can they be territorial and aggressive. Always harasse new fish I am planing on getting rid of 2 of them soon,

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Day 18 The Orchid Dottyback is supposed to be one of the calmer Dottybacks. Mine chased my Royal Gramma and my Yellow Wrasse when I first put them in. I distracted it with 2 mirrors on the side of the tank. I think this is a great fish for a smaller rock dominated tank like mine. The first is when I put it in. You can see some tail fin damage. The second picture shows the tail repaired. This fish is difficult to get a good picture of.
View attachment 14262 View attachment 14263
Beautiful fish, I have always seen them but have steered away cuz of the agreesion

Day 21 Night time is a great time to view the tank. As the lights go down, some corals are open and fluoresce. Fish hide, color fades, or patterns help them hide. Snails, crabs, shrimp, worms, amphipods and things I haven't identified come out. The first shows a hermit in an unusual shell near a zoanthid as the light fades.
Day 21 Night photo hermit.JPG
In this one, the clown fish reflect some UV light but the orange appears black. You can see a partial reflection of the UV flashlight on the left. Getting enough light for a picture at night is hard. The mushroom is normally brown.
Day 21 Night photo.JPG

Day 22 Many people hate Xenias. The pictures below show why as they show branches that hit and attached to rock nearby separating for the main colony. They can over run a tank. But for me, they were half the reason for starting a softie reef tank to get the gentle sway and movement. The picture below shows 2 branched that have separated and the base is moving to the attachment point.
Day 22 Xenia resplitting.JPG
This picture shows the last thread of connection to the main coral.
Day 22 Xenia splitting.JPG

Day 23 Another soft coral many do not like is the green star polyps. I have mine on a rock in the sand to help keep it from spreading. So far mine has not spread. It does tend to fluoresce under UV. The first picture is a close-up of the tentacles. The second is a top down shot with some blue mushrooms and at least 3 colors coralline algae.

Day 23 Green Star Polyps close.JPG Day 23 Green Star Polyps top.JPG

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Day 23 Another soft coral many do not like is the green star polyps. I have mine on a rock in the sand to help keep it from spreading. So far mine has not spread. It does tend to fluoresce under UV. The first picture is a close-up of the tentacles. The second is a top down shot with some blue mushrooms and at least 3 colors coralline algae.

View attachment 14294 View attachment 14295

I agree GSP most people don't like but I have two 'island' just for my GSP. I love how they flow and look inside the tank.

Day 24 The Toadstool mushroom is one of the most recognizable corals with quite a bit of diversity. Mine is still young. It turns more bluish when shedding its skin. These photos are from present to when I got it. It was not attached to anything when I got it so I had to block it in to keep it vertical.
Day 24 Toadstool current.JPG Day 24 Toadstool new.JPG

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member

View attachment 14294 View attachment 14295
That's a nice photo

Day 26 When I first got this fire shrimp, he stayed at the top of the tank. It would even climb up my hand to take food.
Day 26 Fire Shrimp.JPG
Now it stays near the bottom of the tank and partially comes out when I feed my fish. Early on I found some shells it left behind to score me, and it wasn't even Halloween. My Wife Pati has seen my yellow tang come over to his cleaning spot 3 times already and let the fire shrimp crawl on it. I haven't seen it yet. Hopefully it is getting the pests from the Royal Gramma and Orchid Dottyback.
Day 26 Fire shrimp low.JPG

Day 27 I have one rock with Acans on then that I hope eventually gets covered. The green started with one polyp, the green center Acan I won at a NJRC raffle, and the orange one now has 4 or more new polyps since these photos. The first picture is how I usually see them on top of the rock.
Day 27 Acan mixed side.JPG
By the way, the hermit no longer has a shiny new shell. I am surprised by the center polyp on the green spot Acan. I don't know yet if it will eventually spread out.
Day 27 Acan mixed top.JPG