• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

October 31 Days Photos

Day 28 Sometimes new fish go into hiding or are a little shy when you put them in. My diamond or orange spot goby decided my tank needed re-sandscaping changing my flat bottom into piles of sand with holes under the rocks on his first day in the tank. When the goby was sifting through the sand, my yellow wrasse would stay nearby looking for pods escaping. He would get shown the mouth if he got too close.
Day 28 New Goby.JPG
Evidently it is not afraid of the tank mates as it posed for me.
Day 28 Goby in view.JPG

Day 29 Coraline algae. Conditions that are goof for coral are often good for coralline algae, whether you want it or not. I got rocks and sometimes corals for the coralline algae they have. I know I have at least 4 types. My favorite is the bluish purple alga that appears to grow from inside the rock and fill the pores. You can see it under the Duncan below. I also have a pinkish type that seams to cover the rock with a light colored growing tip. There is some dark red in the picture below near the blue mushrooms. It is newer and hasn't popped up in many places yet.
DSCN3419.JPG
This picture shows the bumpy nature of the pinkish coral (a little darker in this picture) and another uncommon one that lifts off the corals. When I look at some of the brighter tanks, I don't see as many types.IMG_3545.JPG

Day 30. As the month winds down, I thought I would share these last 2 photos. The first feels like it should be alien. It is a paly illuminated by UV as perceived by the camera.
Day 30 Palys under UV.JPG
In this last picture, my yellow tang decided to check out my new rock anemone. The anemone is attached to the jar in which I brought it back from the October Meeting at Mike's house. I am trying to get it to rest in the sand or on a rock, but have not been successful so far. The sand next to it was from the goby mentioned a few days ago, showing they can keep the sand clear that they can reach.
Day 30 Rock Anemone.JPG

Are there any volunteers for November? If so, be the first to post below. As a suggestion, take your pictures first and organize them into days for easy posting so you are not rushed each day. I will follow this tomorrow with 2 full tank shots and a few days after the photo contest ends with a few pictures related to it.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Day 30. As the month winds down, I thought I would share these last 2 photos. The first feels like it should be alien. It is a paly illuminated by UV as perceived by the camera.
View attachment 14347
In this last picture, my yellow tang decided to check out my new rock anemone. The anemone is attached to the jar in which I brought it back from the October Meeting at Mike's house. I am trying to get it to rest in the sand or on a rock, but have not been successful so far. The sand next to it was from the goby mentioned a few days ago, showing they can keep the sand clear that they can reach.
View attachment 14348

Are there any volunteers for November? If so, be the first to post below. As a suggestion, take your pictures first and organize them into days for easy posting so you are not rushed each day. I will follow this tomorrow with 2 full tank shots and a few days after the photo contest ends with a few pictures related to it.

Looks good @Mark Shelly Hopefully someone picks this up and does Nov.

Day 31 I figured I would keep the full tank shots for last. You can see from previous pictures that is it possible top keep fish, soft corals and some LPS in a tank without a refugium. This first picture is a shot first thing this morning under the blue only lighting. Many of the zoas and the Green Star Polyps weren't open yet. Can you spot the 5 fish that are out?
IMG_4110.JPG
The second picture is an hour later with all the lights on. Can you spot anything unusual?
IMG_4187.JPG
Did you spot my new goby pulling a yellow tang in the small jar?
IMG_4198.JPG
A few notes on my tank. It is a 65 gallon tank only visible from the front. It has over 100 pounds of rock for live rock. A few of the bottom pieces are Texas Holy Rock (Limestone with big holes in them). They provide many swim throughs even fore the tang, most of which are not visible. There is some base rock in the middle topped with previously used and cleaned live rock. This is not the most aesthetically pleasing open live rock landscaping, but was meant to both make up for no sump and provide hiding places for reef fish. Note that the rock is too close to the sides in a few places which interferes with magnetic cleaners. You have seen the fish. There is also an emerald crab and plenty of hitchhikers. I have an oversized Reef Octopus hang-on skimmer, an Aqueon power filter, an Eheim canister filter, and 2 heaters. For lighting, I have 2 Orbit marine strips, low light compared to most SPS and LPS tanks. These shine through a glass lid. I replaced a T8 kit bulb with an actinic as well. Lighting is not great and probably only provides 100 to 200 PAR at the top, but appears enough for the limited LPS I have as all have grown and divided. I was trying for redundancy with the system. The heaters alone are slightly undersized for the tank, but should not overheat it too much if they fail on. The canister filter pads act as filter socks, provide charcoal, and takes top surface water down. It is also hooked to a battery backup to keep the tank oxygenated. The tradeoff is that the pads need to be replaced more often in a mixed reef tank to avoid nitrate and phosphate spikes. I probably should disconnect the canister, but since it is working, I am hesitant to change it. regular cleaning of the canister is also required. Lastly, I change 5 gallons a week with LFS-purchased saltwater, so my maintenance costs are mainly water and filter pads. I am just starting to need to supplement for calcium, carbonate, and magnesium. I don't have a good technique yet, nor the room to automate or prepare my own RODI water.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Nice looking tank and thank you for sharing this month. Note about the RO/DI. I live in an apartment and do not hook my system up permit. I connect it to my sink, make my water, then disconnect the unit and store it in the closet; might be something that can work for you as well.

How the rock nem doing for you? Have you tried getting him out of the jar?

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Nice looking tank and thank you for sharing this month. Note about the RO/DI. I live in an apartment and do not hook my system up permit. I connect it to my sink, make my water, then disconnect the unit and store it in the closet; might be something that can work for you as well.

How the rock nem doing for you? Have you tried getting him out of the jar?
I tried several times but no luck so far. The last picture is from this morning and shows it is not attached to the side anymore. But it looks like it is stretching up. My guess it would take over an hour and 1/2 to do 5 gallons with most units so it does appear doable. And if you forget, it just goes in the drain.

Thanks for the info on the RODI units. I have been checking them out. I like the one video from aquatic life where they hooked up the output to a sink faucet (where you might keep a soap dispenser or extension spray). I didn't see RODI replacement canisters anywhere, but that may just be due to it being a new item.
Here it the last picture I mentioned. It is of Stomatella snails. The black kind is more common I think. But I have a few large ones that fluoresce and numerous small ones. I didn't notice the florescent lines until I did c close-up photo. I haven't seen other mention or photo of this before. I didn't post these pictures before due to the photo contest. the red lines showed up under UV. They look so fake.
Day 16 Sromatella florescent.JPG
I turned on the lights to get a photo before it could get away. It moves away from UV light. You can faintly see the red lines. They appear to be perpendicular to the growth rings.
Day 16 Stromatella.JPG
I took a picture of another one yesterday.
IMG_4219.JPG
Here is the normal black type.
IMG_4205.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4209.JPG
    IMG_4209.JPG
    8.4 MB · Views: 2