• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Oh no he didn't, oh yes he did 180 gal build

Found a good deal on a tank and stand and wanted to do a tank to keep angels and tangs. Going to be getting rid of my 60g and having the 180 fowlr and looking for a 14/28 g nano.

Here is a picture of the tank and stand. It is a 72 x 24 x 24 with a single overflow on the left side wall centered.

Plan is a bunch of angels and tangs with a few wrasses and smaller fish.

Any advice on running a fowlr is appreciated. I figure I'll run my 75g sump with an eheim 1262 return. Also plan on running carbon and gfo. Sump will be traditional with a large fuge.

Debating if I need a skimmer? I plan on doing approximately 180 lbs of rock total. If I do run a skimmer should I also run my biopellets? I was thinking a reef octopus xp3000.
Goal is to begin cycle end of October, need to figure out how and where to move my current display.

a6895891-c29d-8d71.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1345045175241.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1345045175241.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 1,004
  • uploadfromtaptalk1345045188377.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1345045188377.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 241
Thank you sir! How is the nano coming along?

I will get a skimmer then, I figured it is better to run one! Might even spring for a MP40 on one end of the tank to allow for no wires in it!

Stocking Plan so far is:
1. 2 - Sustainable Aquatics Black Ice clowns
2. Hippo Tang
3. Kole Eye Tang
4. Pink Spot Goby
5. Flame Angel
6. Tailspot Blenny
7. Chalk Basslet? - Have it, but might sell it
8. 3 Chromis
9. Queen Angel
10. Emperor Angel
11. Regal Angel - too many angels?
12. Yellow Tang - might fight w/ Kole so possibly not
13. Powder blue?
14. 3 Anthias
15. few wrasses - 2 or 3
16. I think that is it for now?

I would read up on introducing angels together for a while before I attempted that many angels in a 180. Check out John Coppolino "Copps" threads on RC for good info on angels.

The nano is progressing...slowly...but progressing.

Let me know if you need help moving or setting that thing up.

I would read up on introducing angels together for a while before I attempted that many angels in a 180. Check out John Coppolino "Copps" threads on RC for good info on angels.

Thanks! I think I'll be okay moving it, setting it up I am trying to figure out where the heck to put it. I can put it where my old tank is or I can try to build it in wall. The benefit of putting it where the old tank is I don't have to run electrical or build a wall. Benefit of in wall is well it'd be pretty.

I can't seem to find John's threads on angels :/.

Any recommendations on which skimmer to run? I was thinking a reef octopus Xp 3000

IMHO waay too many fish. You have 7 good size Tangs/Angels, I would hold that to 4. What kind of water change schedule are you planning.

IMHO waay too many fish. You have 7 good size Tangs/Angels, I would hold that to 4. What kind of water change schedule are you planning.

I have an updated list ill post. id say 30g every two weeks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

1. Sustainable Aquatics Black Ice Clown Pair (already have 2.5")
2. Flame Angel (already have 2")
3. Hippo Tang (already have 1.5") This fish really needs a larger (longer) tank
4. Kole Yellow Eye Tang (already have 3")
5. Pink Spot Goby (already have 3")
6. Single Blue Chromis (had 3, down to 1 that is 2")
7. Black Cap Basslet (already have 3", might get rid of it)
8. Carberryi Anthias x 5
9. Midas Blenny
10. 2 x Pakistan Butterflyfish
11. Green Mandarin
12. Magnificent Foxface
13. Emperor Angelfish - Juvenile
14. Powder Blue Tang (very last fish)
15. Orange-Back Fairy Wrasse x 3
16. Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
17. Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse
18. McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
19. Cleaner Shrimp (have)
20. Blood Shrimp (have)
21. Yellow tang

Updated list, I am open to suggestions as I would like to keep the tank peaceful, but prefer lots of swimming out in the open as opposed to just idle floating like clowns do.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Who made that tank? That sure ant no AGA or Deep Blue! :D

+1 to skimmer. Definitely run a skimmer, even if it is fish only. My skimmer pulls more junk out of my FO tank than my Reef tank.

Who made that tank? That sure ant no AGA or Deep Blue! :D

+1 to skimmer. Definitely run a skimmer, even if it is fish only. My skimmer pulls more junk out of my FO tank than my Reef tank.

Honestly not sure who made it :/, the person I bought it from said it was from a member of monster fish keeper's forum, but i cannot find anything.

I leaked tested it and it passed so far 24 hrs full of water, only things I need to replace are the bulkheads, 1 of them won't seal and since idk how old they are I figure better to be safe.

It appears the return lines are 3/4" and the drains are 1"! How much flow can this thing handle?

The amount of flow that is considered "safe" through a 1" bulkhead is 600 gph, but I know I'm doing around 700 without a problem. I have two overflow's with Mag 9's for the two returns.

Here are some progress pictures of the build thread. I need to take more of the finished room.

I was planning on ordering my rock, sand and do the plumbing this week, but my brother's dog got sick so those bills take priority :/.

Anyway here you go: http://imgur.com/a/DWy4p#25

The tank is plumbed! I repeat the tank is plumbed! thanks to my boy thirty5 he helped me out big time!

i decided to run my sump external to allow easy access to work on it and also to allow for an internal skimmer!

Now I am waiting on my order from reefrocks.net I ordered back on October 7th and still have not received it. May need to call my bank tomorrow as now he is non responsive to my messages.