• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Olivier 180gallon rebuild after the total Lost from Sandy Hurrican

Yesterday November 15, 2012, NJRC members stopped by and helped moving the tank and the stand out of the house for cleaning and preparation of resetup.

Today November 16, 2012, before leaving work, I checked the tank condition and found that top and bottom plastic rims were cracked due to temperature stress.

I need to replace the trim and I need to call Aquatic Obsession up.

I will clean the tank today after get back from work around 3pm.

PM Aquatic Obsession and Will didn't have the frame for my 180. his supplier does not carry them I guess.
I contact AGA and the person on the phone answer "we don't sell anything directly to end user". then I ask "where can I buy them" . answer "goto the website and type in your zipcode under store locator"

I then hang up and call Petmart, petco pet pet ever, non of them stock or carry them.

I AM SCREWED.

THIS MIGHT BE MY LAST AGA TANK.

my last resource is making an aluminum frame without center brace for the top and center brace on bottom frame. annondite them both. or power coating them both. not cost effective and time effective

I was going to order a top frame for my pentagon and the only two places I found that could order it was Tropiquarium (sponser)and Fish Factory in Bristol, PA. Try them. Im hard pressed to believe that someone can't get this.

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
Im sure any retailer will agree with me that the customer service from AGA over the past 5 years has gone down the crapper in a major way.....
They have this holier than thou attitude that in my opinion isnt warrented because even their tanks have fallen to just about the bottom of the quality chain,good luck in your search oliver.

howze01

NJRC Member
Hey Olivier, I think that Pets Pets Pets may be able to get it for you. I used to work there and we ordered them all the time for customers. It's pretty close too. Personally, I can't stand the place anymore but Howie (the owner) may be able to help you out.

Olivier

If AGA punks out on you and you can get the aluminum fabricated at work, I have guy up by me who powder coates at a reasonable fee.

Clean the tank yesterday. it is all well scrap and well coat with vinegar. rinse it 3x with garden hose.
while I cleaned the tank, I was thinking bout taking out the over on both side of the tank and drill the tank for glass-hole overflow two on the back.
anyone recommend this ? the current overflow in the AGA 180 is so big and blocking water circulation.

I will contact my aluminum welder at work and see if they can get me the frame. if I go with aluminum frame, I am thinking of no center brace. what do you guy think?
Olivier

Aluminum is strong, but not as stiff as most tend to think. The springboards in diving competitions are made of aluminum, it bends easily. I can see a bend in my lighting rig along the aluminum u-channel.

What I'm trying to say is: you probably need a center brace.

Also, make sure your rear glass isn't tempered. It might be on a tank that big.

I don't know if AGA180 is tempered glass on the back panel. I knew it is tempered on the bottom. how can I find this info ? last time I drill a 75 gallon tank with a method of using laptop screen to chekc for tempered glass, it didn't work out very well. I blew the panel of that 75 gallon tank.

another question, if I be able to drill the back of my 180 gallon tank, should I go with 2 1500gph glassholes overflow or just one? glasshole overflow box look big too.

I don't know if AGA180 is tempered glass on the back panel. I knew it is tempered on the bottom. how can I find this info ? last time I drill a 75 gallon tank with a method of using laptop screen to chekc for tempered glass, it didn't work out very well. I blew the panel of that 75 gallon tank.

another question, if I be able to drill the back of my 180 gallon tank, should I go with 2 1500gph glassholes overflow or just one? glasshole overflow box look big too.

I used the white laptop screen and polarized sunglasses. It has to be polarized.

Olivier just fyi those glassholes overflows are a bit loud. I had John's old 75g setup before the back panel busted out and the tank leaked on me and I wanted to tear my head off!

And as you know the Mrs will not hesitate to do that to you!

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I agree with Jason. Unless you are using thick, big “L” channel aluminum, it will flex with the glass. That is, you will need, at a minimum, a center brace.

As far a tempered glass, HERE is a simple way to determine tempered glass. I used a netbook with a pair of polarized sunglasses…..it works, just like in the link.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Olivier just fyi those glassholes overflows are a bit loud. I had John's old 75g setup before the back panel busted out and the tank leaked on me and I wanted to tear my head off!

I’m aging myself, but as Edith Ann would say, “PPTHHPTHPFFTHPPPT!!!....and that's the truth!:grin:

edith_ann.jpg

Paul,
I am using 1/4 inches aluminum 90degree angle bar. it is very strong. I don't know how it goes but yes, i can add bracket if needed. i like the open top like euro brace.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Olivier, if you drill the back for GH overflows... what will you do to plug the holes that the AGA overflow already used?

grink

NJRC Member
I would call again and go up the "ladder". Ask to speak with a supervisor and keep climbing the ladder until you get the right answer.
Can't hurt!