• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Orange Ricordea

C

concept3

Phyl said:
I think 40-50 would get you 2-3 polyps, generally speaking. The 100$ frag was for the whole thing so how many polyps was that? 1/2 of that would have been good.

How much are you paying for the Tunze? How much less would you pay for a barely used (but nicely decorated with coraline) one (with the magnet)? We're having second thoughts on ours. The fish don't seem to like it and with just one in there the flow isn't nearly chaotic enough, IMO...

Phyl, if you wanna get rid of the second Tunze, let me know.  SPS LOOOOOOVE  the flow, and I'm begging for balance, I guess it's the feng-shui kicking in   :)

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Lets get it!!!!! Im in for 50 plus I may get a ricordia or two. LKM if/when your going to place the order. Or we could ride up.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Depending on the timing I'd go for some 'can.

Miguel also PMd me to let me know that he'd do 20$ a can polyp and that he had some 1/2" rainbow frags for anyone who wanted to grow them out.

He's also got some new SPS & monti colonies as well as a cyphastrea colony that he was picking up.

If we're going to make this happen though (especially on the ric level) we're going to need more buy in than we've gotten thus far...

Can someone give some more info on Ricordea, how much water flow do they like? alot of light? in some of the pics i have seen they are usualy at the bottom of the tank, is it for a certain reason? Thank you in advance. Any info i can have would be appreciated.

C

concept3

Hey cris, Ricordea, along with most softies of the mushroom "type" prefer moderate light and slow flow. They are placed lower in the tanks because of their preferences. I have a 20 gallon nano in the bedroom that is lit only by 130watts of PC's (one bulb is a 50/50 and the other is actinic, so it is very blue) and it is the only way I could successfully raise my mushrooms. I used to have them in my main display which is bombarded by 500 watts of 10K halides and 220 watts of VHO actinics, and even when I had them all the way at the bottom of the tank, they didn't open up as much. They just didn't like the lights and the higher flow all my SPS's love.

Also, I've noticed that they open up larger in the 20 gallon tank which houses 4 Green Bubble Tip Anemones, a Maroon clown, a cleaner shrimp, a whole lotta hermits, snails, a brittle star, a diadema (long spine) urchin, 3 emeralds, 9 heads of frogspawn and a whole lotta other mushrooms. The tank is also skimmerless, and knock on wood, everything is doing great. I believe they are more forgiving when it comes to high nutrient levels in a tank. They are also a perfect coral for the unforgiving aquarist in my opinion.

THank you for the information..... I also have a 2og tank and thats what i want to put them in... I have some regular shrroms, blue and red ones, bubble tip, pulsing xenia, green star polyp (just a small piece) a marron clown, small hippo tang, a pistol shrimp, a harlenquin sgrimp, alot of hermits and some turbo snails, no skimmer (knock on wood) light is a 50/50 and a actinic, and so far so good...i just thought maybe the ricordea needed something special....again thanks for the help.