• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

PC or T5

I assume the T5's are going to be the winner but doesn't hurt to ask.
Anyways, Some might remember my 20gal i had before i upgraded. Well I'm thinking about setting it back up but as a frag tank. So I'm wondering i have a dual 65w PC fixture that i used on it, But for new bulbs I'm looking at like 60bucks... So i looked at T5's since my 54w T5 bulbs only cost like 20bucks a piece... And a new dual individual reflector 24w t5 fixture with bulbs is only 70bucks and bulbs are $15. But what do you think would be better for a frag tank? Plus what bulb combo do you run on your frag tank?
Thanks guys,
~Nick

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Absolutely T5. I wouldn't purposely/knowingly put PC bulbs over any reef tank. Their short life span and dramatic spectrum shift make them unsuitable for our application. I have no idea why LFS recommend them at all.

Thanks,
Ya i like my T5's over the PC just wasn't sure. What bulbs would you go with on a frag tank?
Thanks Phyl,
I'm not sure. I don't remember hearing about T5's when i bought my PC's it was ether PC's or MH...

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Over our 20g tank we run a 5 bulb T5 fixture and get great growth. Before that we had a 4 bulb fixture and got pretty good growth too. I think you should get the 4 bulb if you want it to be a frag tank. A 2 bulb fixture is not that much light, especially if you want to have a SPS frag tank. If you are just doing zoas and softies, you might be ok with the 2 bulb. You can pick up a 4 bulb pretty cheap used, and I think you would be a lot happier.

As far as bulb combo, that is really up to you. ATI seems to be really popular around here and has the PAR to back that up, so does GE and Geismann as well. It really comes down to how many bulbs you are going to have and what types of frags you want.

Thanks,
I was trying to keep it cheap but i rather do it right, I'll have to look at some 4 bulb fixtures.
EDIT: Wow why are quad units so much more :eek: 230+ for 4 bulb fixture while a 2bulb fixture is $75 I guess if i'ma spend that much maybe i should look into MH ::)

saltwater4life said:
Thanks,
I was trying to keep it cheap but i rather do it right, I'll have to look at some 4 bulb fixtures.
EDIT: Wow why are quad units so much more :eek: 230+ for 4 bulb fixture while a 2bulb fixture is $75 I guess if i'ma spend that much maybe i should look into MH ::)

Exactly. You can get one of those cheap clip on 150w mh lights. You have to worry about one bulb thats it. Its only a frag tank, you put a 10, 12, or 14k on there and its fine

Yes, but what about heat, and cost to run? With 2 4 bulb fixtures running I only saw an increase of 15-20 per month max. And T5s have flexible color combos, although MHs does as well, depending on light temp correct?

if your going the cheapest route.  do yourself a favor and buy a used GOOD fixture.  if it isn't going over a display then you don't need to be all fancy.  i think you'd waste way too much money when someone elses loss could be your gain.

example

i got a brand new Tek 6bulb with upgraded bulbs for 350shipped. Retail for just the fixture is 350. then bulbs and then upgrading those bulbs.

money is tight. i would guess for everyone and i try to use mine as wisely as possible. though for this hobby it's almost impossible.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Don't forget eBay, you might be able to find a good fixture there cheap as well.

I've been checking ebay just seems like everything i see is junk,
Thanks for the ad,
The only thing is trying to squeze 2 fixtures on one tank ::) I'll keep it in mind though!