• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

PC or T5

Audi0s said:
Yes, but what about heat, and cost to run? With 2 4 bulb fixtures running I only saw an increase of 15-20 per month max. And T5s have flexible color combos, although MHs does as well, depending on light temp correct?

Yeah for mh k determins the color, 10k white-20k blue. I just thought one of those cheap clip on 150w mh lights would be good for a frag tank. Operating cost arent that bad with 1 - 150 mh. If only for frags no need to worry about all the differ bulb combos you can have with t-5, it would only be to grow out frags so a 10, 12 or 14 k would be fine. As for heat a 150 watt prob wouldnt cause heat issues , if the frag tank is tied in to the main system like most are. if it did you could always do a reverse light period than the display. I think someone on here posted a 150 clip fix from amazon or somewhere for like a 100 or so.

Wow you t-5 people love hatin metal halide ;D Ill admit t-5 does make the corals look awesome, but you have to give the mh its due.

And salt4life , im not sayin mh is best choice either , just sayin its an option

No this was a clip on like the jbj viper in 150w. I think they were getting for a fuge or somethin. That viper light is sweet for a small tank... light, 2 speed fan, led moon light all in one small clip on fixture. I think the ballast is remote. Its like 300 though.

Thanks, I'm people have had no problems with their oddyssea but I'm not taking the chance after hearing people having fires.
Nick, I was about the buy that retro kit til i seen it didn't include the bulb lol

~Nick

Well i put the 20gal in the spot and it fits but it's alot bigger then i remember ::) I think i'm going to do a 10gal, at less for now.So i'm thinking ether a 2xt5 fixture (The Grim Reefer, From RC said i should be fine) or a MH, What would you do? Overall the T5 will be cheaper $75 fixture and replacement bulbs would be $40 while MH is like $175+ and 60 for replacement bulbs... What do you think about this? http://www.championlighting.com/product.php?productid=9000100&cat=715&page=1 I have never had MH, So i'm wondering if i hung it can i screw it into the pendant? Or do i have to make a housing for the pendent?

From personal experience w/ this fixture, the 2x18w T5 on a 10 gallon is probably enough for most softies and LPS but you're gonna have a hard time getting SPS to grow from it. For better growth, maybe consider getting 2 of the 2x18w fixtures and that should put you at a good spot for a frag tank!

Thanks,
I already have a frag rack but i ran out of room so thats why i though i would set up a frag tank.
The only problem with the 18w bulbs is i only found a few bulbs to choose from though.

Must be nice to run out of room for frags! If you have no heat issues now and the tank wil be tied in wit the display then you should be ok with the 150. Just put it 8-12 in above the tank