• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Power Heads Who is best?

You have a 90, is it 4' ? If so id go wit the mp40 not the 10. I have 2 in my 215 - 6' and could use 2 more. Great pump! Like it better than the tunze cause there is no cord in the water. Very pricey though :eek:

radiata

NJRC Member
Any reason why the Tunze you're looking at isn't controllable? The comparison is odd as the Vortechs are all controllable. I think the least expensive controllable Tunze is the 6055.

can't comment on the new versions - still using the old ones. :)

I use the tunze products due to reliability. I have 4 phs (stream one), the nano wavebox, the multicontroller and the ato. I once accidentally got water on my transformer box for the ph and tunze replaced it free of charge.

The ecotechs gen2 i've heard are excellent but I do not have first hard exp.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
radiata said:
Any reason why the Tunze you're looking at isn't controllable? The comparison is odd as the Vortechs are all controllable. I think the least expensive controllable Tunze is the 6055.

Thats just the one I clicked on. I'll looking into the controllable ones. Last I checked they were alot more $$.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I prefer the Tunzes over the Vortechs. I ran Vortechs for many years.
They both do the same thing, but the Tunze are better priced.

ED go with Tunze

a 6055 during a PA group buy is very enticing.

Im not a fan of the whole line up the pumps on each side of the tank and the pumps really arent wireless. Theres wires all over the controller and pump its self. They might not be in the tank but its still got wires.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm using an MP20 vortech on my 75g (4' long) and I think it's plenty for what I have in my tank.

If I had anything more powerful, I'd probably rip my corals off the rocks. :eek: At least the ones right in front of the vortech.

An MP40 would probably be perfect for a 90 though since it's deeper.

Also, thought I'd mention that since the motor is on the outside, there is no heat created by the pump in your tank. They are also highly customizeable as far as flow rates. There are options to program it for custom burst speeds and intervals, which can create naturalistic waves.

And someone else mentioned the wires are outside too. This is one less thing to worry about faulting down the road.

On the other hand, Tunze does have a great reputation for quality products and are cheaper, but I've never owned them to comment.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Ed

I have 2 MP40Ws on my 46 (looking to upgrade in future). Great wave action! First time I played with it I spilled about a gallon of water over the side! For me I couldn't have put 2 Tunzes in my tank (space limitations). EcoMarine also ahs excellent customer service.

Bob

Bob,

i think you are thinking of the tunze streams not the nano streams. Nano Streams are smaller then MP40w and push the same amount of water.

ReeferNets said:
Bob,

i think you are thinking of the tunze streams not the nano streams. Nano Streams are smaller then MP40w and push the same amount of water.

The nano's aren't even close to the Mp40, In fact the Mp10 smokes them! All around!

Nano 6055 is 2.7" - Mp10 2.5" Mp 10 width is smaller and way smaller the other way

Nano 6055 1,453gph - Mp10 1,575 gph Mp10 pushes more water

Nano 6055 is $ 227 just for the pump! Mp 10 is only $ 194 With the controler

9supratt4 said:
Look what you started Edward!! ;D

HAHAHA I thought that when I read his opening post ;D

I like tunze too but why is everyone saying they are cheaper?

2- 6055 + 1 multi controll = $ 666 2- Mp 10's = $ 388

Do you still have to buy the good magnet holder seperate for the tunze?

Magnets come with all the new tunze streams.

But you are not comparing apples to apples.
mp40 = a tunze 6105

The 7096 wavecontroller is totally different from what I understand the vortech controller does.

With my 7096 I can:

Sequentially launch my pumps one after the other
Interval - so that one set activates for a period of time - then the other set
Pulse - set them all on at the same time at either 100% or 30% power.

The multi controller allows has an optical sensor to detect when your light has dimmed. It then runs into night mode based on however long your night is. Basically you can sequence your lights to the pump.

Finally - with one push of a button I can shut-down all my tunze pumps to feed the tank.

Well i was just saying the tunze isn't any cheaper. And I don't want a war but your right, We do have to compare apples to apples........

Due to the beauty of the wireless controller...

( each pump has its own controller that wirelessly connects to the other pumps controller to make it a "slave" that is in sync or anti sync to the assigned master. Also you won't have a ton of wires going to one controller with all splitters or Y's looking like an octopus, which is nice if you like the neat - organized look :) hahaha )

You can activate one vortech after the other. They can run with each other or opposite.

You can set them to run at 30 - 100% of power, pulse, long, short, reef, lagoon mode, whatever you want

You can slow all pumps down with one button on any controller for feed mode, they come back to your settings in ten Min's.

They have a night mode, they slow down i think to 50% power of your settings for 10 hours. ( this is the only thing I wish you can program for longer but in the end it works out fine )

So that's the apples to apples, Here is where the vortech is a pear... ?

Each vortech has it's own controller so if one controller burns out the other pumps will still work, your whole system won't be down.

Vortech has no heat transfer to your water because the motor is external

Vortech has 0% chance of putting stray ac voltage in your tank, the tunze's ugly power wire can.

The vortech will shut down if it falls off the wall of your tank, The tunze could land on bottom and blow sand all over your corals or possibly cause tissue damage.

Tunze night time photo cell isn't included with all controllers, only the most expensive one. Every vortech comes standard with the night mode.

I have a ? Can you run the tunze from 30-100% or it will run at 30 or 100%

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I also have a EcoTech battery backup that will run both mp40s at %50 for about 15 hours or one pump for 30. Your turn. ;D

Bob

Well, I have both and I LOVE both. The only draw back that I have for each:

Tunze - To bulky
Vortech - You can't direct the flow to where you need it without moving the whole pump.