• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Power Heads Who is best?

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Not looking to start (or feed) a war either, but just thought I would add a couple points to the wonderful breakdown Nick did on the Vortechs.

Not sure exactly what the difference is between Lagoon Mode and Reef Crest Mode, but they are both options where you set a max speed and the controller randomly adjusts the speed to simulate a constant-changing flow. I think Reef Crest mode is like a pre-programmed Short Pulse and the Lagoon is like a pre-programmed Long Pulse, except that the rate/speed changes are different every time as opposed to the constant settings you create in the "Pulse" modes.

The Long and Short pulse modes are something that I think need some more explanation here. These are both options where you set a max speed (anywhere from 30% - 100%) by turning a knob, and then program the intervals in which the controller bounces between 100% and 30% of the speed you chose. This makes these pumps extremely customizeable where you could do something like have fast bursts of slower speeds, or slow bursts of faster speeds, or any specific speed/rate you desire. Short pulse will be a more rapid change (0.3 secs to 2.0 secs.), where some nice agitating currents can be achieved. The Long pulse is basically the same thing, except the changes in speed are more gradual (2.0 secs. to 60 secs.) and can make more fluid currents.

In addition to the individual customization, the wireless controller will let you sync or anti-sync. Sync is when the pulses are the same speed at the same time, anti-sync is when one is pulsing the 100%, the other is pulsing at 30% at the same time, which can simulate tidal currents. So, depending on whether you sync/anti-sync them, or run them individually... you can really create a specific flow pattern for the needs of your tank.

Here's another bonus! You can program one controller to be a master and others to be a slave. Now, since they are wireless, you can install the slaves on an entirely different tank, and the master will still control the slave. So, if you have a couple tanks all running Vortechs, you can just hit the feed mode button on the master and it will put all the slaves in feed mode too. Add an auto-feeder to the slave tanks and start at the correct time and you just saved yourself some work. There are many possibilities where this can be a great incentive to have a Vortech.

I agree with Richie though. The only negative I can think of with the Vortechs is you can't point them at different angles. They only mount flat against the glass wall and push flow straight outwards. However, the design of these things is really great in that it's a very broad stream that these create. It's not a fast small tunnel of water that is created. The outflow is a very wide area push and (at least in my tank) you can notice ripples across the full width of the tank when you first turn it on. The propeller design will also suck up from the bottom of nearly any tank depth and can even cause an undertow effect from the draw it creates.

Again, I can't say boo about the Tunze because I started out with the Vortech on my first tank. But I can't see how any other pump can get much better than these.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I have never used a Tunze, but I fall into the Vortech camp as well. I had two Koralias in my tank and they took up so much room, with the votechs you have much more space. When we upgrade, I will not buy other pumps, just the Vortechs. (We are running the mp10 and the mp20 right now)

Also IIRC, I believe that juice44 was selling vortechs to go to tunze. I can't find the thread, it might have been in the FS/FT thread that is now gone. You might want to ask him his opinion since he has run both.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Technically, you can hookup a generic battery backup system (UPS) to any pump. You just need to have it setup and plug all your equipment into it.

However, the Vortech is a self-contained battery/charger unit that is only 9" x 7" x 3.25".

The Tunze version looks to be a small device (the safety connector itself) which I can't find any dimensions on... but in addition to that you will need to have a 12v or 24v battery + a charger too.

Both options are probably in the same price range after getting everything required for each. So basically it would come down to if you need it to take up less space or if you need it to have a longer backup time.

IMO, if you want the longer backup time and have plenty of space for the equipment, you may as well just get a heavy duty UPS system for your entire tank, and have all your equipment protected on the backup.

Did someone make up a team roster yet? LOl

I think both pumps are too pricey though. And I totally agree with the vortech not being directional, it would be another great feature to their list

Nickjr000 said:
Did someone make up a team roster yet? LOl

I think both pumps are too pricey though. And I totally agree with the vortech not being directional, it would be another great feature to their list

I bet if someone came out with a directional flow cover for the Vortech (or even modified one), i'm sure that it would settle this. ;D Now that would be some DIY.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
A little demonstration of setting the pulse feature. It almost looks like the tank is going to rock off the stand! :

http://vimeo.com/2214844

There are some other interesting Vortech demonstration vids on the right side too, check them all out!

While I agree that no directional flow option is the main negative about the Vortech, most people seem to agree that with such a wide flow and wave making capability, it's usually not needed. I could understand if you have a larger tank, like a 200+ gallon cube or something, then it might be an issue. But any tank under 24" wide shouldn't have to worry about pointing the flow because it should span across the entire width easily.

TanksNStuff said:
A little demonstration of setting the pulse feature. It almost looks like the tank is going to rock off the stand! :

There are some other interesting Vortech demonstration vids on the right side too, check them all out!

While I agree that no directional flow option is the main negative about the Vortech, most people seem to agree that with such a wide flow and wave making capability, it's usually not needed. I could understand if you have a larger tank, like a 200+ gallon cube or something, then it might be an issue. But any tank under 24" wide shouldn't have to worry about pointing the flow because it should span across the entire width easily.

WOW!! I didn't know my Vortechs could do that....I think I'm going to have to go play!!

I love how towards the end of the vid, the whole table that the tank is resting on moves. What size tank was that? Had to be small.

9supratt4 said:
TanksNStuff said:

WOW!! I didn't know my Vortechs could do that....I think I'm going to have to go play!!

Just get a bucket and mop ready for when the wave gets higher then the tank lol

SirFragalot said:
I love how towards the end of the vid, the whole table that the tank is resting on moves. What size tank was that? Had to be small.

That is one thing that worries me. The stress on the tank and stand from the wave like that!!

Speaking of the Vortech's Night Mode....why would you use night mode?? Does the ocean natural calm at night?? Wouldn't that be when you want to most flow since that is when all the polyps are extended?

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
9supratt4 said:
TanksNStuff said:

At MACNA EcoTech had that same wave action happening on a 90gal. Push the mode button until the light turns blue, adjust the pump speed to about %50 and then push the set button now adjust the pulse timing by turning the speed slowly each tank has a different frequency when you find it look out! Make sure your water is at least a inch from the top. ;) I have a AGA Tank and called them in compliance with the Vortechs Manual. They told me there is no prpblem with putting Vortech in wave mode on their tanks and that was a liability clause to protect EcoTech.

Bob

lol - well i am glad to see everyone loves their product. I thought there would be folks who could chime in on maxi-mods or enductors (not sure if i spelled that right).

They don't look much smaller, and I like how they cheat the pump down past the can in the one pic :) prob is once you add the mount to it the whole thing sticks so far out. They should work on a more flush mounting system. Nice they can be on a timer though, just have to hope they last longer than the previous models

radiata

NJRC Member
Here's an interesting slant from the seller of Tunze's currently available on RC:

2 Tunze 6000 Streams with 7095 controller and 2 magnet mounts

I ran these for almost 2 years. They were consistently given vinegar baths and kept in excellent condition. Run silent and are very reliable. Original cost was $840. The 6000 model is rated at 1,850 gallons/hour.

$425 shipped within 48 states.

Reason for selling: I have Vortech MP40w's. The Vortechs are certainly less reliable, very finicky, but I like the clean look, so I tolerate the extra hassle.

well, most people would say i am grossly underpowered.

i run two maxijet1200 with the sureflow mods in a 200gal DT.
this is enough to maintain a gyre flow with good velocity.
the fish like it, the corals i have like it. almost no dead spots,
and there is a variety of flow conditions.

it likely only works because i have a very open aquascape.

on the other hand, it only cost about $70.

quollster said:
it likely only works because i have a very open aquascape.

on the other hand, it only cost about $70.

The amount of rocks and shape of the structure will greatly effect the flow needed in your tank. And the 70$ is sweet too