• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

RAP Ny

I decided not to go due to some of my SPS frags in my tank starting RTNing from the base up yesterday.
This tank is really driving me crazy, just when I thought my nightmare was over.

Attachments

• 1249496F-8ABA-426A-A2BB-9BAB723DEB9B.jpeg
    1249496F-8ABA-426A-A2BB-9BAB723DEB9B.jpeg
    756.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 0A2339DC-7572-44E3-847B-ED6A675F3989.jpeg
    0A2339DC-7572-44E3-847B-ED6A675F3989.jpeg
    769.9 KB · Views: 8
I decided not to go due to some of my SPS frags in my tank starting RTNing from the base up yesterday.
This tank is really driving me crazy, just when I thought my nightmare was over.
My ticket is available if anybody wants it for free, send me a PM for the picture.
first come first serve.

Kinda glad I decided not to go. Was really expecting a lot of regret. Hopefully the poor turnout doesnt become a 'death spiral' of the show (ie vendors decide not worth it which further reduces number of people showing up which lowers vendors...etc)

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Kinda glad I decided not to go. Was really expecting a lot of regret. Hopefully the poor turnout doesnt become a 'death spiral' of the show (ie vendors decide not worth it which further reduces number of people showing up which lowers vendors...etc)
Honestly that venue is too big. They only use 1/2 the space. They need to find another location. That is a better fit. I am sure it’s very expensive to rent that space. Then they have to pass the expenses to the vendors and a lot of vendor are saying it’s not worth it. They also had to increase the price to $30 a day.
I have more fun and a better Expirience at the coral show in Connecticut. (Farmers market)
it’s in a school so anyone can get a table and all the vendors go.

Honestly that venue is too big. They only use 1/2 the space. They need to find another location. That is a better fit. I am sure it’s very expensive to rent that space. Then they have to pass the expenses to the vendors and a lot of vendor are saying it’s not worth it. They also had to increase the price to $30 a day.
I have more fun and a better Expirience at the coral show in Connecticut. (Farmers market)
it’s in a school so anyone can get a table and all the vendors go.
That is a shame and yet predictable. Too many of these events accrue too much of the benefit to the organizers (granted they are taking the original risk). Would be nice if they had a small NJ expo like you mentioned happening in CT. Oh well, i gots me a live sale to attend. Hope anyone who went to RAP had a great time!!

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Got back a few hours ago and we had a great time. Got some frags from some of our favorites and a some from a few new vendors. Thank you to kschweer for the recommendation on the torch, we grabbed one from the same vendor. Always great to see some old vendors and of course some of the new. Also great to run into a few NJRC members and always good to see some familiar faces. Also cool to see some new tech in the exaqua photometer which will be very interesting to follow. Going on Sunday was nice again, not too crowded and got some nice deals at the end of the show. As far as new corals, not that much though. I think with a lot of the import bans, you see a lot of aquaculture which is really nice to see. However, that means you see a lot of the same things, which depending on what you are looking for can be a good or bad thing.

As far as the overall show, it was perfectly fine. Looking at the floorplan they had 6 empty booth and 1 no show (that I remember) and 89 total vendors which is pretty darn good. I spoke with the vendors that I am close with and they all basically said the same thing, good show, less than last year, but still a good overall show. Last year had the COVID build up so people were ready and raring to go. This year did not have that carryover, add in phenomonal weekend weather and high gas prices and yeah it was a little less. However, I would not be calling this the death of RAP NY, they will be back next year.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Got back a few hours ago and we had a great time. Got some frags from some of our favorites and a some from a few new vendors. Thank you to kschweer for the recommendation on the torch, we grabbed one from the same vendor. Always great to see some old vendors and of course some of the new. Also great to run into a few NJRC members and always good to see some familiar faces. Also cool to see some new tech in the exaqua photometer which will be very interesting to follow. Going on Sunday was nice again, not too crowded and got some nice deals at the end of the show. As far as new corals, not that much though. I think with a lot of the import bans, you see a lot of aquaculture which is really nice to see. However, that means you see a lot of the same things, which depending on what you are looking for can be a good or bad thing.

As far as the overall show, it was perfectly fine. Looking at the floorplan they had 6 empty booth and 1 no show (that I remember) and 89 total vendors which is pretty darn good. I spoke with the vendors that I am close with and they all basically said the same thing, good show, less than last year, but still a good overall show. Last year had the COVID build up so people were ready and raring to go. This year did not have that carryover, add in phenomonal weekend weather and high gas prices and yeah it was a little less. However, I would not be calling this the death of RAP NY, they will be back next year.
Nice! Glad it worked out. Those guys were really cool too.

erics210

NJRC Member
So for the first time since I started back in 2014 or 2015, the wife came with me.
We were there Saturday. Grabbed some freebies I knew they would have from Reef Nutrition as soon as I arrived. A few items from Reef 2 Reef, the. Started up and down all the isles.woukd have liked to see a vendor with fish. Also was looking for a harlequin shrimp. NADA. Only fish were either $5,000+ or clowns.

After about an hour and a half, we took a break and went to chilles for a real late breakfast/lunch. Came back recharged.
Bought a couple basic corals and then the wife found something SHE wanted.
The Jellyfish setups.
So we bought a bunch of raffle tickets and split them between all the nice to have items like Radio, AI, Exotech and the jellyfish. Walked away with a few eshopps frag racks and a spy glass values at what we spent. So not all bad.

Soooo...about to head home and as we were leaving I picked up a GMK zoanthids.
At that point we needed to go before we spent $400-$500 on the Jellyfish setup!

Last edited:

erics210

NJRC Member
It it was all she talked about on the ride home. A small $75 GMK zoanthids didn't excite her as much as me I guess.

So SumpnFish was heading over on Sunday and asked him to grab a full sheet for just the jellyfish drawing.

I owe him big time. Made my wife's day and she is sooo happy about it.

So RAP 2022 was a complete success and now my wife is kinda hands on. She will feed and ha e the fun stuff. I will ha e 50% weekly water changes on my end. Yeah....lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220627-114206.png
    Screenshot_20220627-114206.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Oh man we were gunning for that setup too, they are so nice. Funny story, we won a jellyfish setup back at the Colorado MACNA but we really didn't have the spot for it nor the time for it so we sold it. Now we have the perfect space and time for it and don't have one. Glad to see someone in the club got it, and good luck on the future water changes.