• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Reaquascaping for hours!!!

Well I have been reaquascaping since about 11this morning. The orginal new plan was to do 1 big center mountain with sloping sides, now it has turned into 2 mountains since Im out of rock. Anyway Im here to look for some advice, I hate the right side of the tank, I cant get anything to look good over there. I think the left side looks decent but maybe to congested. Anyone see some ideas out of the FTS? Im terrible at aquascaping so if anyone sees some ideas from the picture let me know, or if anyone is near hazlet and wants to lend a hand a make a few bucks let me know. Thanks!
DSC_1208.jpg

I'm by far, no expert but I wouldnt mind my tank looking like that. I tell you what, later on, I will post a pic of my rock set-up and I bet you will feel a lot better about yours! ;D

Live with it for a day or so.I NEVER like my rocks just after playing with them....uhh, wait...that didn't come out quite right.

It looks great to me. You've got nice hidey holes for the fish and plenty of good surfaces to add more stuff.

i think the problem is those corals down in front. i think if you let me take those corals off your hands you will forget about how do are not happy with your LR set up. just kidding, i think it looks good as is.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I agree leave it be for a while. I hate the right side of tank as well. But over time it grew on me and now i don't mind it so much. But I am alwys looking for a way to chnage it. If you need a hand let me know as I am a few towns over.

PrettyBoy.. Nice 180g tank :)! When I dabbled in model railroad setups I disliked a lot of my initial layouts.
Than I started to look at the layout in sections and tried to best adjust the sections, individually. With a lot of luck and a little imagination I was able to integrate each section into a total layout. Not always the ideal but it worked well most of the time. With that amount of area to aqua scape I think you could do the same. And, yes, I second giving it a day or two to look at it again!
just my 2 cents . . .

momof6kids

NJRC Member
Patriot76 said:
i think the problem is those corals down in front. i think if you let me take those corals off your hands you will forget about how do are not happy with your LR set up. just kidding, i think it looks good as is.

lol, nice try!!

I agree, give it a day or two. Your layout has a nice amount of caves for the fish, and over time as corals are stategically placed on both sides, it will look great. ;D

Thanks everyone, since the tank is so big I did kind of try to break it up into 3 sections. The corals right now are just kind of thrown in there since I was moving everything around. Im not going to bother placing them out until Im starting to like the way the rocks look. I have a TON of shelf rock sitting in my sump right now, probably a good 30lbs but they are all really big peices like 12"x12" flats so I dont have a lot of shelving anymore. Im going to let it sit, wait for some more replies and then maybe after a day or 2 work around with it again and try and pick up/trade some of my big LR for some smaller ones that I can build up with

Fragalot that looks fine, i like caves and stuff, are you keeping that FOWLR or you going to be adding some corals in

I wasnt going to get fish until I got the rock i needed but I couldnt pass up the Trigger, clown and coral beauty all for 55 bucks. Just got some halfway decent lighting. I want to put a little more rock in before I start adding beginner corals. Enough about me though. I would be proud of that rockwork you did. If you are not happy with the one side though, sketch out what you are trying to achieve and work from there.

wait a day or two as said, it may grow on you. One thing i see which i would do is just to the right of the clown i would take some of that rock out so it creates like a valley type of thing. That would break up the top, break up the line of the top if you know what i'm saying.

BobCReef said:
wait a day or two as said, it may grow on you. One thing i see which i would do is just to the right of the clown i would take some of that rock out so it creates like a valley type of thing. That would break up the top, break up the line of the top if you know what i'm saying.
right above the leather right in the middle correct? I wanted to make a valley there also, need to get some smaller peices so its not just drop off from the right side, Thanks~!

Thats right, behind the leather. There is flat piece with three small pieces on top. I would take those out and it looks like there may be one piece under the flat one. I'd take that out too. I think the sudden drop off it creates on the right side will look good and add some dimension to the landscape
Just my 2 cents

BobCReef said:
Thats right, behind the leather. There is flat piece with three small pieces on top. I would take those out and it looks like there may be one piece under the flat one. I'd take that out too. I think the sudden drop off it creates on the right side will look good and add some dimension to the landscape
Just my 2 cents
sounds good will give it a try tomorrow and post a pic. thanks bob

only thing is i will have to figure out what I can cram underneath the 2 rocks making the cave up on top to hold it up since the one rock is sitting on the flat piece

PrettyBoy said:
Well I have been reaquascaping since about 11this morning. The orginal new plan was to do 1 big center mountain with sloping sides, now it has turned into 2 mountains since Im out of rock. Anyway Im here to look for some advice, I hate the right side of the tank, I cant get anything to look good over there. I think the left side looks decent but maybe to congested. Anyone see some ideas out of the FTS? Im terrible at aquascaping so if anyone sees some ideas from the picture let me know, or if anyone is near hazlet and wants to lend a hand a make a few bucks let me know. Thanks!

I think it looks pretty nice, but there are actually some "guidelines" that might help you out. Scott Fellman is doing arather amusing presentation on this called "Aquascaping for the Aesthetically Challenged on October 11, 2008 in New Windsor, NY. More here:
http://reefstock.hvreef.org
There is something called the Golden Ratio that tends to make things pleasing to the eye which might help. More here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio
Scott might be able to give you some pointers. You can email him here: Algaeguy01@hotmail.com