• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Reaquascaping for hours!!!

Hi prettyboy,

Your rockwork is actually quite nice. However, if you are a bit tired of the "end to end" wall sort of look, you might want to try removing some of the rock and going a bit asymetrical..That is, "justifying" the rockwork to one side of the tank, and leaving negative (empty) space on the other. This could create a unique look. However, some people don't like that look, inlcuding my girlfirend! I think it is cool, however! Or, you could open up the middle, as suggested above- this will create a more open look. If it were me, I'd make sure that NONE of the rock touches the back wall of the tank. This will create better flow patterns, room for your fishes to swim, and facilitate easier maintenence.

Try to think in terms of the way you intend to place inverts and corals on the rocks. Remember, that small Montipora frag will grow into a substantial colony over time, taking over considerable space. So be sure to leave some room for the corals to grow. In the end, you can get away with much less rock than you might think! You could even smash up some of the rock and make a rubble zone in the front, which will create an interesting and beneficial area for your fishes to forage among.

Good luck!

Regards,

Scott F.

algaeguy said:
Remember, that small Montipora frag will grow into a substantial colony over time, taking over considerable space. So be sure to leave some room for the corals to grow. In the end, you can get away with much less rock than you might think!

An excellent example of allowing room for growth can be seen in Rich Durso's tank. Look at what that Montipora frag grew into!
http://www.rl180reef.com/180/index.html

Ok well had a little time this morning to remove some rock from the center. Here is what we look like right now... what do you guys think, good/bad let me know.. Also as before the corals arent staying where they are, they are just moved off the rocks to allow for me to move the rock. once Im good with the rock, ill put the corals back up
DSC_1210.jpg

That's a keeper!

BTW, what kind of sand is that? Looks like that would provide an interesting effect under LED moonlights.

mfisher2112 said:
That's a keeper!

BTW, what kind of sand is that? Looks like that would provide an interesting effect under LED moonlights.

Not sure of the brand, but it is black sand. I had a BB but will at AO convinced me to go with a sand bed so I wanted to do it differently and go with black. It looks awesome. Havent had it under actinics or moonlights yet but soon...

Definitely post some pics of that when you do, if you can.

I'm going to be redoing my 90 gallon next month, I may consider that just for something different.

I like the second pic better . Are those rocks on the ends resting on the glass . If so it will be impossible to clean the glass . Make sure you leave enough space to get a magcleaner or whatever you prefer in there to clean. And not to nitpick,because it looks real good,but thta one little rock on top a little left seems to just be sitting there as if an afterthought. Just my 2 cents, it looks good.

I think it looks good.

I was gonna ask about the sand as well. Looks really cool.

Might have to switch mine out.. haha.

PrettyBoy said:
mfisher2112 said:
That's a keeper!

Not sure of the brand, but it is black sand. I had a BB but will at AO convinced me to go with a sand bed so I wanted to do it differently and go with black. It looks awesome. Havent had it under actinics or moonlights yet but soon...

Is that Caribsea Tahitian moon sand? I was doing some research on it. Just curious.