• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Red Sea ReefLED 90

momof6kids

NJRC Member
I just heard back from Red Sea. Since the light is more than 2 years old, they will not cover it under warranty. They said that they would pay for the shipping costs to them and would check it out and repair it if fixable. I would have to pay for the parts and the return shipping.

So, now the question is what to do.

Do I:
1. just buy another Red Sea 90
2. buy another Red Sea 90 and try to get the other one fixed so that I have a spare or put a 3rd light over the tank
3. try a totally different light. Radions? The G5's are on sale on some sites, since the G6 just came out. But I can't afford to do both lights right now, so I would have 2 different lights over the tank.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
First off, glad to see Doug is doing fine.

Here's what I'd do.....verify it's a power supply problem . I assume you have a second LED 90....use that power supply to verify that's the problem.

I'd now spec a new power supply from an electronics supplier....they are a fraction of the price of buying a Red Sea power supply. I'd guess it would cost 15-20-25 bucks. A quick look and it appears your current supply is 24V, 4A. Since these guys are known to run hot, I'd replace this with a 24V, 5A, but a 4A would still work. Here is but one example from Amazon. It's 24V, 5A with a 5.5 adapter, positive center. The adapter is the one thing I don't know. There are 4 common adapters. You just need to determine which one you have.

You might also wish to check out Mouser or Jameco.

momof6kids

NJRC Member
I tried unplugging the back of the power supply in the good light and plugged it into the bad light. It still did not work.

The power indicator light is lit on the bad light and the settings indicator light is kind of glitching on and off. Not a steady on and off like the good light.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I just heard back from Red Sea. Since the light is more than 2 years old, they will not cover it under warranty. They said that they would pay for the shipping costs to them and would check it out and repair it if fixable. I would have to pay for the parts and the return shipping.

So, now the question is what to do.

Do I:
1. just buy another Red Sea 90
2. buy another Red Sea 90 and try to get the other one fixed so that I have a spare or put a 3rd light over the tank
3. try a totally different light. Radions? The G5's are on sale on some sites, since the G6 just came out. But I can't afford to do both lights right now, so I would have 2 different lights over the tank.

I would do option 2 personally, would just make sense since you already have the other fixture if you were not trying to replace all the lights at once.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
If you're going to buy another Red Sea, call them first.
A lot of these places will offer a substantial 'loyalty discount' on a replacement for an out of warranty item.

Bot587

NJRC Member
I'm sure you have already tried this, but incase not:

Hold the back button for 15 s to factory reset it, then give it 5 minutes to boot. From here try to reconnect.

momof6kids

NJRC Member
Bot, yes, I had tried that. One of the first things that I saw online to try.

So, after much thought and frustration, I was at ReefCo to pick up my leopard wrasse that Brian had ordered for me, while there I spent some time talking with the Doug who works there. Not to be confused with Doug, my husband. ;) I ended up buying the Radion G5's at a discounted price. I will be cleaning up my ReefLED 90 and putting it up for sale. I have both mounts also.

Will probably not be at RAP, since I just broke the bank.