• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Reefkeeper lite or apex jr ?

Looking to get a controller soon. I'm going to start with thier smaller units and expand as I needo to. I'm sure there's guys and gals here that use both, just wondering how you like them and your experiences with them.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Dollar for dollar, IMO the ReefKeeper is a better buy. You get get so much features for a fraction of the price compared to an apex. Although I have never used a RK, it's seems very user friendly.
I have an apex unit, a jr. and an eb8. The main thing I hate about apex is that you have to buy seperate modules in addition to the item itself to run certain features.

horseplay

NJRC Member
I use Apex Classic (Lite) and had no experience with PK. Apex Jr. is a good choice. For me it's very important to be able to monitor remotely and receive alerts for power outage and temperature. I also monitor PH level as a proxy for the alk level.

Make sure Apex Jr. works with Apex Fusion if you do go with it.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I don't know Apex and am partial to ReefKeeper, considering I have two old school ReefKeeper 2's running my tank. However.........

I'm a little surprised ReefKeeper Lite is still around considering the original Reefkeeper is GONE and replaced by Archon. I'm surprised they haven't come out with an Archon Lite. I actually heard rumblings that Digital Aquatics canned all the ReefKeeper people and brought in a totally new group to develop the Archon. I'm just thinking they're still offerring RK Lite to get rid of warehouse inventory. That being said, I don't think you'll find a better deal in controlling an aquarium.....relatively inexpensive and extremely easy to program....if I can do it, an idiot could do it!

Here's the bottom line.....take a look at what you want to control and evaluate these two controllers to see which one would do that job better.....and include expandability since that's one of your criteria. I know with the RK Lite you can add a second four plug energy bar.

That's what I've been trying to weight out. I think my skimmer is slightly to big for my tank so I would like to have it on a timer for an off period of say 4 hrs. I am also debating on dosing kalkwasser in ato, so ph prob nessacary, eventually a salinity prob, (ato is gravity feed but I don't really know how long eshopps float will hold up, looking at smart ato for future) maybe possible night lights so I have more programmability on my lighting. Possible doseing pump for mag in the future. I believe my jebao power heads (sw15) can be put to a controller as they now have a 10v input for one not sure if that's really nessacary. I do like the reefkeeper but the ethernet connectivity for apex seems amazing.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
You could always build you own like me ;) lol. As Paul said check to see which controller gives you what your looking for and more. You will always want to add on so find which system allows you to add on easily. Now if your more concern about schedule right now there cheap surage strips that have timers built into them (I ran one for my Christmas lights) where you can hook your skimmer to and/or night light. They are not as cool as a controller but ~$20 a pop aint bad deal.

I wish I had the skill set to build one. That would be pretty cool. I did see the timers you were talking about and that is an option. Right now skimmer production is good but one I reaquascape I feel I'll have a much lighter bioload then I'll need to adjust accordingly. I do want one that can grow as my tanks grow and one that will be around for some time. I originally thought the reefkeeper was the way to go but I'm thinking the apex may be the way in the end.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
................. Now if your more concern about schedule right now there cheap surage strips that have timers built into them (I ran one for my Christmas lights) where you can hook your skimmer to and/or night light. They are not as cool as a controller but ~$20 a pop aint bad deal.

Just stay away from Coralife / Zilla / GE powerstrips that look like this:

ZillaPowerStrip.jpg

They have been known to burn down houses. Check our sticky HERE.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Just stay away from Coralife / Zilla / GE powerstrips that look like this:

ZillaPowerStrip.jpg

They have been known to burn down houses. Check our sticky HERE.

I have a couple of units that look like this but don't believe its either brand; got them from Lowes. Now they are not running any of my fish stuff but my entertainment center is on one and like I started my Christmas lights were on some. But I will have to check to see what make I have.

Trio91 those are some nice controllers. [emoji106] I'll have to look further into them now.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Long time Apex user and seriously thinking about switching to the ProFiLux. I haven't found 1 really bad review where there was a complete failure. I had one with my Apex early this week. Many small ones throughout the years. One thing thou is Apex customer service is really good. I have first-hand experience, but I'm not sure that is a + or a -.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Have them both. I like the RK better for ease of use and cant beat the price. I've had Apex's since they first came out. Too hard to program them.

Lostinthedark

NJRC Member
Before you go spend a $1,000 on a controller with all the bells and whistles you should ask yourself if you really need it. Its nice to have everything controlled from one place but it also puts your entire tank in jeopardy if something goes wrong. I have my tank set up with timers for lights, an ATO switch, heaters with a controller and a doser. I am able to leave it alone for up to a week without any interaction on my part and that is only because the ATO reservoir needs to be refilled. I would love to have all my parameters displayed on my phone where ever I go but I never found it necessary.
I've read so many stories about controllers destroying tanks that I'm not sure its worth it. I'm sure there are stories where they have saved tanks with remote notices but they seem to balance out. Sometimes simpler is not only easier but better.(And cheaper)

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Have them both. I like the RK better for ease of use and cant beat the price. I've had Apex's since they first came out. Too hard to program them.

I use the apex fusion dashboard, not really any programming, just point and click with it, of course you can go into advanced mode but i haven't found a reason to at all. My wav unit is pick a setting, state a time and power and it works in a graph. same with my dos unit, moonlights, so on.

Lots of good info. Thanks guys I have been trying to read alot of reviews and so forth for them. I definitely feel the lite or Jr are going to be my top choices I don't need the bigger units. I would add a ph and salinity probe, and doseing pump, as for the rest I really could get away with timers. Bells an whistles are necessary but yes costly. I can get more at the same price point with the lite, but I don't have the interweb goodies....... it leaves more thought.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk