• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Riddle's Anyone?

Rupples are the currency of my Realm.

Carlo - the value of the pen knife is at the time of the trade is all that matters.

if anyone wants the answer, let me know.. I can PM you or post it here.

Eric
Emperor of the Known Universe

I get what you're saying but still feel the proper answer is 4 not 2. Suppose you purchased a car today for $20K. 3 years from now you owe me $10K and I agree to take the car. The car is worth $10K not $20K. So what I'm saying is the penknife was purchased originally for $8 but it's value is now $4. Just change dollars to rupples.

Depending on how you are looking at it past or present value it could be either 2 or 4. Now if the question was "how much is the pen knife worth, NEW?" then the answer is clear. :)

Carlo

Somebody post another one.

This one is coming from a friend:
(I myself still don't know the answer but i'll get the answer soon)

There are 5 houses in 5 different colors in a row. In each house lives a person with a different nationality. The 5 owners drink a certain type of beverage, smoke a certain brand of cigar, and keep a certain pet. No owners have the same pet, smoke the same brand of cigar, or drink the same beverage. Other facts:
1. The Brit lives in the red house.
2. The Swede keeps dogs as pets.
3. The Dane drinks tea.
4. The green house is on the immediate left of the white house.
5. The green house's owner drinks coffee.
6. The owner who smokes Pall Mall rears birds.
7. The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhill.
8. The owner living in the center house drinks milk.
9. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
10. The owner who smokes Blends lives next to the one who keeps cats.
11. The owner who keeps the horse lives next to the one who smokes Dunhill.
12. The owner who smokes Bluemasters drinks beer.
13. The German smokes Prince.
14. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
15. The owner who smokes Blends lives next to the one who drinks water.

The question is: WHO OWNS THE FISH?

I'm going to say the German owns the fish.

Here's the breakdown on the houses:
1st house is yellow, owned by the Norwegian, drinks water, smokes Dunhill, has cats
2nd house is blue, owned by the Dane, drinks tea, smokes Blends, has a horse
3rd house is red, owned by the Brit, drinks milk, smokes Pall Malls, has birds
4th House is green, owned by the German, drinks coffee, smokes Prince, has fish
5th house is white, owned by the Swede, drinks beer, smokes Bluemasters, has dogs

Carlo

Back in my home town the local bar owner used to have a friday night "Einstein Challenge" with vodka or gin martinis. The game went like this. He would pose a riddle similar to the above and give you one piece of paper and 5 minutes to solve it. If you got it right, you got the drink for free, if not then you pay triple the cost on the 2 drinks you have and double after the first two.

The catch was 2 or more people had to play at the same time. Only the first person with the right answer could win as long as it was within the 5 minutes or everyone looses. If 3 or more people played it was only "double charge" regardless of your drink count. Prices even when you lost were cheaper then some other place's normal prices.

If you do the math you'll notice he was making more playing the game then without it. He eventually had to stop offering the challenge as it violated some ABC (Alcohol Beverage Commission) rule or something. But it was fun.

I could usually get a solid 4 or 5 drinks in before it would cost me. Personal best was 9 martinis with correct answers (didn't get to the 10th cause I could hardly talk let alone think). Lucky for me the bar was only 1.5 blocks from the house and within crawling distance.

The good old head swirling days. :)

Carlo

Not an riddle per say but fun anyway to do with someone who is decent at math. Many of you have heard it and propably know it. Great to teach your kids so they can have fun with friends. Goes like this.

1) Pick a number from 1 to 10 (could actually be any number) but don't say the number out loud. This is your starting number so remember it.
2) Double your number
3) Add 8 to your number
4) Divide your number in half
5) Subtract your starting number

Then you can guess the number: 4

It's just simple math. If you always do double, add, divice, subtract in that order the "answer" will always be half of the number you told them to add (always use an even number). It's fun doing this to a group of people as they all start with different numbers but end with the same number.

You can of course elaborate on it and make up steps after 5 since you know the answer.

I had fun with a girl a couple of weeks ago. She didn't want to say her age and in talking it was apparent she was good at math (she was an accountant) so I figured what the heck. I did this with her but had her start with her age. After I told her the answer was 4 she exclaimed "how did you know I was 37 ?".

Carlo

Carlo said:
I had fun with a girl a couple of weeks ago. She didn't want to say her age and in talking it was apparent she was good at math (she was an accountant) so I figured what the heck. I did this with her but had her start with her age. After I told her the answer was 4 she exclaimed "how did you know I was 37 ?".

.... *giggle*

Yes, but it's like any good magic trick. A simple concept that, when you really think about it, is perfectly sensible. However, it's all muddled with misdirection.

Next thing you know, we're all going to be swapping "I'm Curious!" jokes. :p

As I was going to St. Ives,
I met a man with seven wives.
Every wife had seven sacks.
Every sack had seven cats.
Every cat had seven kittens.
Kittens, cats, sacksm, wivesm
How many were going to St. Ives.

..... bonus points if you caught the obvious movie reference!

kathainbowen said:
As I was going to St. Ives,
I met a man with seven wives.
Every wife had seven sacks.
Every sack had seven cats.
Every cat had seven kittens.
Kittens, cats, sacksm, wivesm
How many were going to St. Ives.

..... bonus points if you caught the obvious movie reference!

The answer is one and the movie was Die hard part 2

only the man was going to st Ives .. he met everyone and everything else on the way.

NapoliNewJersey said:
The answer is one and the movie was Die hard part 2

only the man was going to st Ives .. he met everyone and everything else on the way.

I'm so proud of you, especially for getting the bonus points!!! :-*

Carlo said:
Tripped me up bad! I got hung up in the math and thought I was "slick" for not counting the sacks. Doh

Carlo

Lol. It's the same concept as your mathematics one by confusing a simple question with loads of misdirection.

momof6kids

NJRC Member
Here's one for you: ;D

On a distant planet there are four forms of life, zadohs, pugwigs, kahoots, and zingzags. All zadohs are pugwigs. Some pugwigs are kahoots. All kahoots are zingzags. Which of the following statements must be true?

1. Some zadohs are zingzags.
2. Some kahoots are zadohs.
3. All kahoots are pugwigs.
4. Some zingzags are pugwigs.
5. All zingzags are zadohs.
6. Some zadohs are kahoots.

Erna

momof6kids said:
Here's one for you: ;D

On a distant planet there are four forms of life, zadohs, pugwigs, kahoots, and zingzags. All zadohs are pugwigs. Some pugwigs are kahoots. All kahoots are zingzags. Which of the following statements must be true?

1. Some zadohs are zingzags.
2. Some kahoots are zadohs.
3. All kahoots are pugwigs.
4. Some zingzags are pugwigs.
5. All zingzags are zadohs.
6. Some zadohs are kahoots.

Erna

7.) They're all really fun to say when you've just pulled an almost all nighter and haven't had coffee yet. ;D