• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Rodi system question

I just set up my RODI system that a fellow member gave me (thanks) and didn't realize that one of the carbon cartrages wasn't the refillable type. So right now I'm just running an empty one, sediment, carbon block, RO, DI. Is this going to be ok for now. Also where can I pick up a cartrage as I do have the carbon to fill it.

Thanks

Josh

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Did you check the TDS of the water coming out? If you are at 0 you should be good to go. Having sediment and carbon before the RO and DI helps keep the membranes running longer. I am sure extra carbon would help, but don't know if it is required. BTW I am pretty new to RODI units so I would wait for others to chime in, LOL.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The only thing that is "refillable" on a RO/DI system is the DI cartridge. Carbon is a solid block filter. Some people run dual sediment filters, some run dual carbon blocks and some run dual DI. Where is your "open space" in the series of filters?

As long as you have a sediment, carbon block, RO and DI you have everything you need and anything else would just be secondary.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I’ve never heard of a “refillable” cartrige on an RO unit. They are all fixed filters.

Typically it’s (in order of water flow), Sediment Filter --- Carbon Block --- RO Membrane --- DI resin

With RO units with a whole bunch of “stages,” you might have two sediment filters or two carbon blocks or a “polishing” carbon filter after the RO membrane. This final filter is not recommended for aquarium usage….just for drinking water.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I’ve never heard of a “refillable” cartrige on an RO unit. They are all fixed filters.

Typically it’s (in order of water flow), Sediment Filter --- Carbon Block --- RO Membrane --- DI resin

With RO units with a whole bunch of “stages,” you might have two sediment filters or two carbon blocks or a “polishing” carbon filter after the RO membrane. This final filter is not recommended for aquarium usage….just for drinking water.

Is there an echo in here??? :p ;)

some systems do use refillable carbon filters before the Ro filter have seen this before on some brs systems and I think it's the same cartridge as the refillable di one

When I ordered the replacement filter kit I got http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store...-chloramine-removal-one-cartridge-refill.html as part of the package and when I went on there website again it says I put it into http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/10-refillable-cartridge-for-catalytic-carbon.html Is there a compatable cartrige I can get from HomeDepot or Lowes. Just to full the spot.

Josh

On a side note. Say I wanted to change something around and take the cartriges out after they were wet, are they still good or do they need to be replaced once pulled.

I don't think home depot has anything like that. but you could try tb aquatics for a refillable cartridge
also if you need to move the filters around you can do so just make sure the seals at the ends stay in place

Under normal conditions, and unless you have chloramines in your water, there is not need for two carbon stages (other than to drain your wallet).

Use of standard GAC as a prefilter to systems used in this hobby should be avoided. This is a holdover from when drinking water RO systems with very slow membranes (e.g., 10 gpd) and very low demand used GAC. It's old technology and not appropriate for the fast membranes (e.g., 75 gpd) used in this hobby.

If you have chloramines, Catalytic GAC is another story...

Under normal conditions, and unless you have chloramines in your water, there is not need for two carbon stages (other than to drain your wallet).

Use of standard GAC as a prefilter to systems used in this hobby should be avoided. This is a holdover from when drinking water RO systems with very slow membranes (e.g., 10 gpd) and very low demand used GAC. It's old technology and not appropriate for the fast membranes (e.g., 75 gpd) used in this hobby.

If you have chloramines, Catalytic GAC is another story...

So just leaving the first cartrige area empty is fine, and using a sediment followed by a carbon, RO, and DI is also just as good?

in this hobby it's all about good water if your system has a place for an extra carbon block use it it's not a waste it's added protection for the more expensive membrane

Correct. As long as you change your carbon block on a regular basis, and use a good quality block, and don't have chloramines in your water, you are good to go with 1 carbon block (not GAC).

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If it is your first canister that is empty. Throw a 5 micron sediment followed by a 1 micron then a .6 micron carbon block. Sediment filters are cheap and you can replace them often if needed depending on your source water.

So my system is all set up and I seem to have some sort of problem. The water is cloudy for about 10-20 seconds. What could be causing this? Did I install something backwards or is my water just no good. I know my tap water foams up if its not used for a while but does clear up. Could this be something to do with it?

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Josh

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Did you flush the system or is this cloudy water the first time the system has been used?

Did you flush the system or is this cloudy water the first time the system has been used?

When I first set the system up I let it run for 10 min. Its been running for about 3 days now. It goes empty-sed-carbon-ro-di. No idea what I did. I even took it apart, washed all the glass holders, and re flushed for about 20+ min. Still didn't help at all.

Just annoyed that I have this system and still have to buy bottled water.

What size sed filter are you using? Are you running cold water/hot water through system? Have you just checked to see if the water is cloudy from your tap?(take a glass cup and pour yourself a cup of tap water.) if that cup isn't cloudy, then it must be something in your RODI that's causing it.

I suspect you just have air in your water.

Let the water flow into a drinking water glass. Let it sit there for a minute or two - is the cloudiness (bubbles) gone?

Russ

What size sed filter are you using? Are you running cold water/hot water through system? Have you just checked to see if the water is cloudy from your tap?(take a glass cup and pour yourself a cup of tap water.) if that cup isn't cloudy, then it must be something in your RODI that's causing it.
Cold and what ever sed filter that comes in the replacement kit from bulkreefsupply. First cup is cloudy second cup isn't.

I suspect you just have air in your water.

Let the water flow into a drinking water glass. Let it sit there for a minute or two - is the cloudiness (bubbles) gone?

Russ
I will give it a try and see what happens. I just have to let it sit a couple of minutes first. I'm just worried because my tap water foams up(like soapy water) if it sits to long without being used.