• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Rod's 75gal Mixed Reef

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
OK...

So I have been a member here since March or so and have never posted a picture of my tank... :-[

Well here it is...

75gal tank with about 120lbs of live rock. I use a remora hang on the back skimmer, an aqua clear modded refugium, and two 150 watts coralife pendants with 14K bulbs.

Circulation is handled with two MP10's running in oposite cycles with about 40 minutes of overlap.

Corals are many and are a mix of zoas, LPS, SPS, dendros, etc...

Fish...we will get to it...more to come...this tank has been running since March with livestock from my 125gal that I left in Philly.

enjoy!

Rod

Beautiful tank!. Are you happy with that skimmer? I was thinking about one for my 55. Also, what is that gold foil I see at the top of the pic?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Beautiful reef, Rod. I can certainly understand why you didn't have time to post a picture in the last 6 months! We've kept you pretty busy with MACNA! LOL!

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
OK...

the foil is just to allow for pictures, they come out after the shots.

the skimmer is good, not great, a bit noisy, easy to set and has a large chamber where I put carbon in.

It is actually one MP10 running at a time, so once ones goes on, the other goes off, witha 40 minute overlap to create a stir in the tank, in my experience and observations, the MP10 is more than sufficient to run the 75gal tank.

Hope this helps.

Rod

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Nice Tank Rod!ESPECIALLY since it has only been running since March and you were so busy with MACNA. Can't wait to see this one mature. Would you happen to have any shots of the tank in Philly?

Taz

Tank looks great Rod, I second great clam comment, and that dendro I spy in the front has great color. How are you liking the MP10s? Did you set them up on timers or program?
We added one to our 30G immediately after MACNA, love the varied current, but it seems to be annoying the bubble tip... he keeps moving around now.

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hi Nikki!

The MP10's rule! The one that runs daytime is on reefecrest mode at 100% power, right in front of my rose anemone, it loves it! Since I moved to the MP10's the anemone has been more open than ever and the movement is gorgeous!

The night time one is running at about 75% speed constant flow. I use timers to turn them on and off.

Rod

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I read that as he covers the lights with foil to stop the spillover from ruining the photos.

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
right on! I don't have a hood so a lot of light ruins taking pictures...the foil is just to block the light.

rod

I agree, big fan of the pump. The anem looks great, bubbled almost constantly, he just keeps wandering. What kind of pumps were your running before? I have to check with Mike to see what our mode is set on (so far the extent of my knowledge of the MP10 is how to put it on feeding mode). Our SPS growth seems to be better than it had been, any change for yours? We also started dosing with a new combination of britewell elemental and alk at the same time, not sure which is making the SPS happier.

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Nikki,

I had 2 koralias "3" and 1 "4" that left the tank.

I can't tell if growth has changed because of the pump or the new bulbs..

Measurable changes:

temperature dropped 1 full degree
cyano and hair algae gone
fish disposition much more active
overall tank health better!

The only thing I add is 1 capfull of purple up a week, the clams seem to love it!

Rod