• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Ron's 240g build

Some updates:

Electric is run, I just need to setup the outlets and power panels. Two 20Amp circuits at the display and two down in the basement. After talking to a few people on the forum about backing things up, I figured it would be best to run some extra line.
2013_10_12_09_10_13_07_2.jpg

Here is the plumbing coming from the pump to the display:
2013_10_12_09_10_13_07_0.jpg

Here is the plumbing going from the overflow to the sump:
2013_10_12_09_10_13_07_1.jpg

Sorry, no picks from the basement yet. Its just too dark, and my phone isn't taking nice pics. Once I get the fish room sorted out, I will take some with the camera.

I am having difficulty settling on a pump. I have 12'-16' of head, and about 15 feet of horizontal line. Folks say pressure rated is a must, but I know people using a hammerhead from the basement. I also hear the Iwaki and Blueline HD are power hogs...though all of the pumps I am looking at appear to be in the 300+ Watt range.

I was considering using a lower power pump, and powerheads for flow, or using a high PSI pump with great flow but turning it off at night (lowering the water level below the overflow I assume) and using a small circulating pump in the sump to avoid stagnant water. Any ideas here are greatly appreciated.

The Pan Worlds/Blue Lines (pretty much the same pump) are great pumps. See what the flow curve is on a PS100, PS150 and PS200. See which you can live with. Personally, for that size tank, about 1,000-1,200 gph would be nice for flow through the sump. I use a PS200 on my skimmer and it draws 360 watts!!! But it is quiet and dependable. Having a return pump shut off and on by a timer is a weak link IMO. These pumps are design to run 24/7 for ever, but hate starting and stopping.

malulu

NJRC Member
rkaiser said:
Here is the plumbing going from the overflow to the sump:
2013_10_12_09_10_13_07_1.jpg

if possible, try to use these True Union Valve, it would save you so much work when you need to do some emergency repair/re-routing...
1aabcd5a8d1deb5ee7f7a3d0fb4e0be2.jpg

Have a few updates (sorry the pics aren't better) - I finished framing the equipment room in the basement: (roughly 15x14)
2013_13_12_09_10_40_10_1.jpg

Here is the new steel I-beam, we swapped out the 2 bolted 2x10's: (My Nephew was the only one that wanted to be in the picture)
2013_13_12_09_10_40_10_0.jpg

I picked up my 4-55g drums for water, mixing, auto top off, etc.: (also obtained a 55g fish tank and stand, which will be used for quarantine)
2013_13_12_09_10_40_10_2.jpg

I picked up my new Kati/Ani unit, no pics yet, will update later.

Did you put in the steel beam to support the weight of the tank? How do you determine what the floor can or cannot support?

jazzsam said:
Did you put in the steel beam to support the weight of the tank? How do you determine what the floor can or cannot support?

Aside from overkill, a good engineer is the best route. Steel beams are cool! But, leaning toward overkill. A few lolly cols with a micro lam or sistered 8 x 2 s would probably pass muster for an engineer.

Jazzsam, Yes I put in the steel beam to support the weight. As Baxreefs pointed out it is overkill. I originally had two jack stands and 2-2x10s bolted together with 1/2" ply. The reason why I went with the steel beam is 1. it was free (always the best), and two, it gave me the span I was looking to cover to properly frame out my basement in the future.

Thanks for the plumbing link Hawkeye, it seems like its taking forever to get this done. I have to sheetrock, paint, and put the fan in the basement to take care of the salty humid air. Once I get that done, I think the rest will go rather quickly. I am hoping to do a great deal this week.

rkaiser said:
I have to sheetrock, paint, and put the fan in the basement to take care of the salty humid air. Once I get that done, I think the rest will go rather quickly. I am hoping to do a great deal this week.

That makes two of us, tomorrow I'm framing the wall and then need to knock another one down and then paint.

This tank is going to be sick man GL

Okay, it has been a long few weeks, but this is what I have done so far.

Stand is done, just need final paint.

2013_04_01_10_11_33_46_0.jpg

2013_04_01_10_11_33_46_1.jpg

Basement room, done, just needs paint (sorry, no pics yet)

To Do:
Need to come up with a really good canopy design. Ideas are appreciated. I thought about sliding it along the beam on the ceiling, or mounting it to the beam/ceiling and using cabinet doors and a fold up.

what about an open top instead? Just have the lights hanging from above?

I was thinking it will make access to the display easier...

Thanks guys.

I thought this was cool and the components are not as expensive as I thought: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUlgd0WGQfU, though it may not work with this location.

I thought about going open top but my wife is concerned about how bright it will be in the room. The Reflectors will be up a little high when new bulbs are in so it may send light out a bit. I am thinking about putting T5's on instead, and mount low to the water. I was checking out Wendy's tank shots and they look great.

For starters, I will just get what I have running. I am anxious to get this thing filled, but I still have so much to do in the basement. The rock is fully cured, and I will figure out my aquascaping soon. I'll try and get more pics up soon.