• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Sal's 75G build

Whats going on people!

OK. So I finally made up my mind and ended up going with a 75G Deep Blue rimless tank build over the Red See Reefer 250 I was first thinking of purchasing.
Thanks to TanksNstuff for great deal! I quickly acquired a Marineland stand as well as a 30G DIY sump that should hold up until I get one of those fancy trigger systems sumps. :single_eye:

Here is what I have so far:
- Jebao RW8 power head. (need to buy 1 more) :grey:
- Jebao DC 4000 Pump. 1100 GPH. (Originally purchased for the smaller Reefer 250) not too sure if it will be enough for a 75G.
- Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm 200W heater
- BRS Refractometer
- Maxpect R420R 160W LED light (another item purchased for the smaller 36" tank of the reefer 250) :(
- 30Lbs of BRS Pukani dry rock. (impulse buy) :p
- BRS RO/DI 4 Stage

Things I still need to purchase:
- Deep Blue rimless 75G tank (Just ordered it from Hidden Reef a few hours ago) Dance
- 2 x Kessil A360WE lights. (might take me a month or 2 to get the $$$$ for these)
- More Dry Rock. (Marco rock?)
- Skimmer. (Vertex 150/130 or something similar)

wow.... now that I think about it, I still have a lot more to purchase $$$$$

I will add pictures of the stand and other things shortly.
Thanks in advanced for all the help and comments you all will be providing. :p

Its been a long time since my last reef tank and I am very rusty.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I told him that too. As long as it's strictly a return pump, the DC4000 should be good. Sal, with all the stuff you now realize you need to spend money on... aren't you glad we talked you out of the fancy expensive one? That budget you were planning on spending on the tank alone can now be used for your upgraded equipment and if you're lucky for fish and corals too! :encouragement:

Again, good luck with the build and if you need any help setting it up let me know.

One RW-8 may also be enough for your build. I've read on Reef Central where 2 of them were more than enough for a 4-foot 120 gal tank.

Good luck with the build!

Thanks for the input guys.
Well, I think I should be ok with the gear I have so far then.
However, I do know I will be needing another light. :mad:

Here is a sketch of how the pluming will go. Please let me know what you all think or if there is anything else I should keep in mind.
Pluming.jpg

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Looks good to me. Only thing I would change personally would be to remove the check valve. Just keep your return line close to the waters surface and the siphon will break from the air drawn in. Only a small amount will make it back to the sump. Just make sure you leave some room in the sump for the little bit of excess water. You can calculate how much will go back very easily. Relying on a check valve can lead to a flood in my opinion it doesn't take much for them to fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks good to me. Only thing I would change personally would be to remove the check valve. Just keep your return line close to the waters surface and the siphon will break from the air drawn in. Only a small amount will make it back to the sump. Just make sure you leave some room in the sump for the little bit of excess water. You can calculate how much will go back very easily. Relying on a check valve can lead to a flood in my opinion it doesn't take much for them to fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1 on the check valve.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I was going to mention you don't need the check valve also... and Kevin explained it perfectly. Instead, I would just put your two unions around the gate valve. You may need to replace or clean that and/or your return pump on occasion, so having the ability to remove both of those without disturbing the rest of the plumbing is a good idea.

When I had that sump for my 75g, there was plenty of room leftover to accommodate the water that back drained after return pump cutoff. The way it was designed, the normal water level is when the skimmer and refugium heights are identical, just over the top of that baffle between them. So, when you set your return pump speed with the gate valve (or the pumps controller), just try to keep those 2 left chambers about 1/4" to 1/2" above the baffle between them and you should be set.

If you get that set right, the return chamber should have plenty of water in it to function properly. Also, you will then have all the space above the skimmer/fuge baffle to hold the back drain water after pump cutoff.

Hope that makes sense. Nice sketch by the way!

Nice start. Have you looked into the aquamaxx cone s skimmers? They seem to kick butt and have a nice small foot print because the pump is underneath the skimmer its self. I think u could get away with the cone s 1 if your not gonna stock the tank to heavy with fish. If not the cone s2 will give you plenty I'm pretty sure that's the skimmer i will go with if i ever get a sw tank going

WOW! That AquaMaxx ConeS CO-1 In-Sump Protein Skimmer has some very nice reviews everywhere you look. And the price is not that bad $289

Footprint: 6.3" x 8.7”

I might end up getting one of these. Thanks for the heads up!

Picked up the 75G tank yesterday from the Hidden Reef. Dance
I just noticed I might have to shim the stand a bit. Dang it, need to make a Lowes run tomorrow.
What type or shims do you all use? also, the Wiff just told me she would not be against the idea of me using part of the storage room in the basement as a fish room. :encouragement:
Hmmmm.... might have to think about that one. the idea of using a 75G tank or similar as a sump sounds intriguing.

falconut

NJRC Member
One RW-8 may also be enough for your build. I've read on Reef Central where 2 of them were more than enough for a 4-foot 120 gal tank.

I just got a RW-8 for my 90 gallon about a week ago. I figured one would be good based on the RC threads. I run mine 100% and it doesn't even come close to more than enough. Two are really needed for 4' tank. I'll stick with your plan of getting a 2nd.

Also, another nod for not using a check valve. I had one on mine when I started and after several years it stopped working. Flap got stuck in the open position. A siphon break works much better.

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
looks good now.Wait till you fill it up.if you need a hand let me know i'm close.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Looks very clean.

My one suggestion....get a pipe hanger on that drain line that's going left. All that pipe and water weight will put pressure on the bulkhead/glass interface....which could crack the bottom glass.

2ea8227a24436db217db74a6f78b8fa8.jpg

33d85c6cd14a85b06a129564bdc89a66.jpg

Wow.... Making 75+ gal of ro/di takes forever. [emoji35]