• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Saving Fish with Velvet

Let's move this thread as I will try to provide updates on the progression:

Well as Rbu1 said, two fish did not make the trip back. When I arrived at Rbu1's place, I saw the large sailfin and there was no mistaking it as velvet. He was coated with white spots/flakes. This disease is awful. The puffer had no markings but it was obvious he was affected by his slow swimming and labored breathing. The hippo had markings of ich with slight velvet. The ich was probably a secondary reaction. We FW dipped the sailfin, puffer, hippo, and purple. The sailfin appeared to like the FW dip but upon return to the shipping container, his breathing was very labored (we'll understand why later). The puffer was neutral on the dip. The hippo was a bit feisty in the dip but he actually spent awhile in there. I saw a lot of dead tissue come off and many of the ich spots disappeared. The purple also appeared to like the dip. Before we packed up, the sailfin and the dwarf angel appeared to be in serious distress. I hoped that they could last the trip back to my place.

I drove back as fast as I could and unpacked as fast as possible. As I opened the container, I saw the sailfin gasp his dying breath. The dwarf angel had died in transit. The shipping water had reached about 71 from original tank temp of 79. That was surprising but actually good as my setup was 72.5. pH had fallen down to 7.6 which was disturbing but my setup was 7.8 so acclimation time would be minimal for temp and pH. Imeasured the SG and it was rather high at 1.029. I wanted to make sure it was not the container that was causing the high salinity so checked on the puffer in a separate bucket. His water measured 1.028. I saw he was also trying to gasp at the surface so he was suffocating. I decided it was best to put all in one container to drip acclimate. My stock tank is running at 1.021 and I am keeping the temp cool to keep more oxygen in there.

The puffer had changed colors and had gone into some type of hibernation. His eyes had closed and his breathing was rapid. As the salinity went down, his breathing became better but he was very unresponsive. The hippo, purple and clowns were very alert. The wrasse was troubled but his color looked good (we already saw when we caught him he likes to play dead by changing colors, stopping his breathing and bobbing upside down). I added some ampicillin to the drip container and the hippo complained. He thrashed and went pale. He played dead. However, his skin was actually looking better and eventually he responded nice again.

Three hours later, the SG was still not a match and the puffer was not going to hold up. I decided to accelerate the drip and introduce the specimens into the tank. The tangs and clowns looked to be fine in the tank whereas the puffer and wrasse laid on their sides. I prodded the wrasse and he was responsive so I left him alone. I prodded the puffer and he was not responsive at all. I basically could move him wherever I wanted. I decided I had to administer copper even though the puffer could die from it (I think he would've died if I did nothing). I gave a half dose of cupramine and hoped for the best. I gave them dim light for the rest of the night.

I checked on them before I headed out to work. The purple and hippo swam normal with controlled breathing. The clowns were not awake. The wrasse and puffer remained on their sides. Again I prodded them and wrasse was responsive. Puffer appeared to be dead. I saw no breathing and he was pushed very easily. His color had returned to normal though instead of the darkened state. This is one problem with treating in a stock tank. It is very hard to look at the specimens top down. I decided not to take him out yet since his color was good. The ammonia spike would be nominal if I left him until after work when I would have more time to look at him.

At this point, I will try to feed before going to full dosage of cupramine. I think that the tangs/clowns and wrasse should survive all this. They had minimal symptoms and breathing has normalized. I am pretty sure the puffer is dead but will hope for the best.

THanks for the update as upsetting as it is. I hope the puffer is alive. I feel a little better knowing that something was done and they were not just left in the tank to die. PEOPLE if you can learn something from this please do......If you are not going to QT fish make sure you are ready to experience this very bad circumstance. THanks again Nathan. BILL

So I am back from work and did a quick check on the fish. When I got into the basement where the stock tank is, it left no doubt there was something dead there. I feared the worst. The puffer was dead for sure and creating a smell. Thankfully, he was the only one. All fish except the small maroon were swimming happily in the dim tank. It took me awhile to find the small maroon but he was cringing in his new home. Pretty standard behavior for a non-dominant clown. I tested the copper but the API kit read zero so it was not the copper that killed the puffer. I double checked the reagent by adding one drop of cupramine in the tube and it gave max reading. I will go get a more sensitive tester tomorrow as there is obviously some copper in the tank and I want to be accurate when using this med. I fed a little brine and all but the small maroon ate which is a good sign. I believe that in a few weeks, all remaining fish should be velvet and ich free.

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear about the puffer. I had him for almost 2 years. That was the fish that my wife wanted. He actually came from one of NJ Reefers own BillyR. At least it sounds like you will be able to save most of them. That is better than what would have happened if I left them in the tank. Keep up the good work Nathan. If you need anything let me know. If you want me to send you some $ via Paypal to help pay for anything just say the word.

So we should still have the
Wrasse
Purple Tang
Hippo Tang
2- Clowns

Here are some of the pictures for reference:

This was taken about 10 minutes after the sailfin had died. Earlier in the day, he had all his skin and looked peppery. I would describe it as someone threw gray talcum powder on him. The cysts are much smaller than in ich. Ich cysts are fairly big. This is actually not a good picture of velvet but rather how quickly it can strike. The sailfin was eating (albeit very little) just earlier in the day. The angel looked good until we caught him.

DSC_0152.jpg

This next one was taken just after I added the puffer in with the other fish. I set up the drip line and removed the dead fish. You can see 4 of them were fairly alert and only the puffer and wrasse stressing. The puffer became darker and darker the more stressed he got. By the time he entered tank he was deep brown (no picture unfortunately)

DSC_0153.jpg

Here are two pictures of the puffer after he died.

DSC_0154.jpg

DSC_0155.jpg

This morning I wanted to get up close and examine each remaining fish. I had thought that all of these were relatively healthy. I was wrong. I captured each one and gave a FW bath lasting at least 3 minutes. Four of the fish appeared outwardly healthy. The one exception is the purple tang. He has classic case of velvet all over his body. I have included pictures so there will be no doubt for anyone as to what velvet looks like.

DSC_0156.jpg

DSC_0157.jpg

DSC_0158.jpg

I still cannot determine with certainty how much copper is in the tank. I have given what I believe is full dosage now (with slight margin of error on the lower side). I am sure the API kit is worthless for cupramine and will be grabbing a salifert tomorrow on way home. I made up a "full dose" in a 1 liter and the API kit barely shows a color. I had thought the purple was healthier but as you can see, this disease is very fast moving.

Oh Bill... This is terrible. I am so sorry this happened.

big props to calaxa for helping out and lets hope for the best with the clowns and wrasse.

I didn't feel the purple got a long enough dip so I caught him and gave him a second dip. He looked awful afterwards (didn't take a picture) and I actually thought I had killed him. He laid on his side for the rest of the day and I full expected to see a dead tang when I came home.

I came home last night with the salifert kit. It was slightly better than the API but not all that much. Qualitative kits are terrible. I could see I had copper in the water but much debate over the concentration. Most people I asked kept saying it was between 0.10 and 0.25. I thought it was between 0.25 and 0.50. I added 4ml of Cupramine and was surprised that the purple tang was swimming fine again. Guess FW dips do work (I was never a fan of them before this). I was too busy last night so left things till today.

I retested the Copper and again everyone said it was still between 0.10 and 0.25. I added 4 more ml of Cupramine and decided this was all I am gonna add otherwise I am in danger of copper poisoning. This time I retested and it was very clear to me it was between 0.25 and 0.50 and I would add no more. This level should be enough to kill any oodinium in the water column. I fed some bloodworms but no one was interested. Probably too stressed from the copper, dipping, bare tank, etc.

I dipped each fish for about 4-5 mins each. I took pictures of each of their sides so we can compare their progress.

Formosa

DSC_0159.jpg

DSC_0160.jpg

Large GSM

DSC_0161.jpg

DSC_0162.jpg

Hippo

DSC_0164.jpg

DSC_0165.jpg

Small GSM

DSC_0167.jpg

DSC_0168.jpg

Purple

DSC_0169.jpg

DSC_0170.jpg

Calaxa -

thanks for the pics. It's disturbing how quickly the disease spread. Big kudos to you for taking the time to do this. I know if I did it I'd probably mix up my equipment and contaminate my own tank somehow.

It looks to me like everyone is symptom free except for the purple. Comparing the pictures, he does seem to be less symptomatic and is getting better. He was very difficult to catch for FW dipping. Almost everyone else actually wanted me to catch them. The formosa was breathing very very nice in there. I am going to prepare my normal QT tank to house these fish after Copper treatment is over. Two weeks from now, I will remove them from Copper and see how they fare in normal QT setup. If all goes well, and they return to normal eating, we will have to decide what to do with the fish.

Hawkeye said:
Calaxa -

It's disturbing how quickly the disease spread. Big kudos to you for taking the time to do this. I know if I did it I'd probably mix up my equipment and contaminate my own tank somehow.

Phil,

Actually I was surprised how slow it spread in Bill's tank (until I found out it was a 300G). The stories I hear on velvet are tank crash within 48 hours. I share nothing with this tank or any of my QTs. Each has their seperate pippette, water container, net, etc. I only share the pH meter and that is wiped down and rinsed with bleach and peroxide between systems. I don't want velvet going into my tanks. I don't care about ich anymore. That is a nothing disease compared to this one.

I think I will perform one last FW dip on these guys on Sunday on Monday. By that time, either all oodinium would have been dislodged by me or dropped off naturally. This last dip, I did not see anything flake off like I did in the past (of course oodinium is not visible to naked eye), but no dead skin, little bits of dried blood, etc.

i was thinking that new device TbAquatics is selling would be really useful for all these dips/catch/releases.

Plastic Collander. $2 from the asian supermarket (and probably $6 from Whole Foods or something). Probably can find from the dollar store (except it would cost me $2 in gas to find one)

Thanks for all the info and pics you've provided. I hope all your fish survive this deadly parasite. This is exactly why I QT all new fish no matter what LFS i get a fish from. Last year i picked up some fish from an lfs and made the huge mistake of not QT. Within seven days i lost about three large angels, a trigger and two clowns. If a LFS tells you theres no need to QT then they are more concerned about their sales than about your tank . QT,QT, QT !!!

Pete,

That disease has velvet all over it. Velvet is the dreaded disease in this hobby. Ich is just herpes. Yeah, you don't want it and it can kill a fish that is not healthy to begin with but otherwise it's just an annoying disease. Velvet is a killer and the survival rate on it is not very good. I am surprised the purple is looking better and better. I was never a fan of FW dips before but am becoming a convert after this. It does actually do something and you do see odd things flake off the fish (ie saw bloody tissue come off the sailfin which told me he was too advanced to save).

Some of the fish actually like the dip process. They willingly go into the collander. Others still hate it and are very good at faking stress in there. I will warn that dipping does remove the fish slime coating which does make them more vulnerable if you are putting back into a diseased system. I hope there is not too much copper in the system now. If anyone knows a better test kit, one where I can actually titrate the sample, that would make me feel more comfortable.

I want to add a little note regarding the copper test kits. All of them suck but in actuality, it was not API's fault with the bad reading. Seachem's cupramine says add 16 drops per 10.5G of water for half dose and repeat. That makes 32 drops per 10.5G. Well, guess what? You cannot invert the bottle entirely to drip drops. It will come spilling out. A drop from the side is not a full drop and 16 will not make 1 ml. I used a pippette to deliver the copper and got MUCH better results. Both salifert and API kits show a concentration of between 0.25 - 0.50 ppm which is right where I want to be. The salifert kit is slightly easier to read since it's blue vs. the API yellow. Probably not worth the extra $3 unless you cannot see yellow well.

Everyone is on a hunger strike. No go on the brine (frozen/live) doesn't matter. No to pellets. No to bloodworms. Obviously they don't like copper in the tank. I think they will just have to starve for 2 weeks unfortunately. I'll try again in a few days but I don't want to risk overloading the sponge filter.

Hi Nathan,

I spoke to Dr. Jim and he feels you would have much better success using chloroquine instead of copper. I remember you saying something about that when you were here I was just curious why you don't like it. BILL