• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Saving Fish with Velvet

I'm a bit tired from work and don't really feel like doing a FW dip today. The only one that could benefit at this point would be the purple but yesterday he laid on his side for a few hours after so I will give him a break. All that amyloodinium must be leaving major wounds on his body. It's funny though....tonight I caught him and he went inside the collander. He was actually disappointed I didn't dip him. Guess I am his surrogate cleaner shrimp and he must have dead tissue to remove. Anyway, here is what he looks like tonight without the pale stressed color inside my collander. You can see some fin rot but all in all, not so bad. This guy was not looking so hot at Rbu1's place.

DSC_0167-1.jpg

DSC_0168-1.jpg

Slight improvement over this morning but basically the same. I feel I am at a crossroads with the other fish. They all look healthy and yet I'm slowly poisoning them with the copper treatment. Who knows what my ammonia/nitrite is like. I never got around to getting a kit that can distinguish free nitrogen from amide compounds. I also gave up maintaining pH as I am suspecting the sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) is absorbing copper. pH remains steady at around 7.7-7.8. I will prepare a bath and maybe give him a quick dip late tonight/early morning.

In the meantime, I wanted to show everyone the setup. If you didn't know, I am actually very new to the hobby. I started in May/June 2008 and went away on business from July-Oct. So true experience is not very long. Anyway, on to the setup.

I am using this as the current copper QT

DSC_0158-1.jpg

This is a 100G stock tank I bought off another member a few weeks ago. I was going to make this a 100G phyto or rotifer culture but never got around to it. In fact, I had about 20x1G milk cartons of phyto but got real lazy about it. About half have crashed now since I hadn't done anything with them in about a month. A QT doesn't even have to be this big but it definitely helped here as these fish came from a 300G and they are used to space.

Here is a picture of the fish swimming in the QT

DSC_0159-1.jpg

There's a maxijet 1200 and maxijet 400 providing flow. They don't suction to the plastic tank so they fell to the bottom. Also is a 200W heater, underspeced so I don't overheat. Now since the PHs are not breaking the surface tension and I have no overflow/sump for gas exchange, dissolved oxygen becomes an issue. I keep the tank at 74-75. It's in the basement so it is constant temp. And this is where my next equipment is handy.

Sponge Filter. This was sitting in my brine culture. It's rated for 80G. I bought this cause it was $9 and the one rated for 20G was $7. Figured why not just pay $2 more and get the largest. For those that don't know how it works, it basically is a piece of foam that air is blown into for circulation. The nitrifying bacteria colonize the foam and acts as the biological filter. That's it. Simple and not very high tech.

DSC_0160-1.jpg

The other half of the filter is the cheapo air pump. Think this was $15-$20. I have a whisper 100 driving my phyto which was about $25. This one is either a whisper 20 or 40 and is enough to provide air to the sponge and deliver enough oxygen for everyone.

DSC_0162-1.jpg

Here are some meds I am using for this:

DSC_0164-1.jpg

From left to right:
portable pH meter and therm
Salifert Cu Kit
API Cu Kit
Maracyn Plus (Antibiotic) - not dosing in the QT.....contains sulfur which can reduce the Cu++ to Cu+ killing all fish.
Ampicillin (Antibiotic) - adding 10-20 drops of this in the FW dip (not in QT as I am afraid of effects on filter) to try to hold off the fin rot. Looks like fish is recovering on own but I started the antibiotics so gotta finish it.
Cupramine - Seachem's protein complexed copper. The safest copper on market right now. That's like saying safest chemotherapy but hey...beggars can't be choosers.
Prime - chlorine/chloramine/ammonia/nitrite binder. I started adding this and smelled the sulfur and knew I couldn't rely on these things to prevent cycling of tank. Praying I have enough bacteria for 2 weeks.
Couple of disposable pippettes used only for this tank.

Finally my FW dip setup.

DSC_0153-1.jpg

Plastic Collander to catch the fish and put them in. Styrofoam container for the dip. I own a pinpoint wireless therm and that's the sensor you see there in the water. It's not that accurate (off about 1 degree depending on the temp) but it is precise (consistent for those who didn't take Quant Chem/Instrumental Analysis). Off to the side I have baking soda and vinegar. My RO comes in at about 8.5 pH so I need the vinegar to lower it. The baking soda is just in case I overshoot. I usually fill with 3 gallons of RO and then later I boil 1 gallon of RO and add till the temp is about 2 degrees higher than QT. Check pH several times and then dip and go.

So there is a simple QT setup for those who said it was too much trouble. The water in the tank is actually RODI WASTE water. I needed to make RODI anyway so I just tossed the waste line into the tank and let fill. I used a really cheap salt (MEI...$19 for $150 box.....yeah they don't even give you a bucket). It supposedly removes chlorines/chloramines and guess it does since none of them died from it. I have no lighting for them at all in this tank.

I did try to feed spirulina brine but no interest. If I decide to do anything, I might do the FW dip on the purple and will take some pictures of that.

Glad to see the progress is going good......Now the trick is to get them to eat again. Do you think they are not eating because of the copper? How long do the fish need to stay in the copper? Are there symptoms you will see on the fish if the amonnia level in the QT are getting high? I would hate for you to go thru all this work to have the fish die from the amonnia/nitrite.

great idea about the QT tank for those guys. I got the new foster & smith catalog yesterday and IO/Reef Crystals are now coming in Boxes of 200gal.. i guess they are going to stop selling so many plastic buckets

Rbu1 said:
Glad to see the progress is going good......Now the trick is to get them to eat again. Do you think they are not eating because of the copper? How long do the fish need to stay in the copper? Are there symptoms you will see on the fish if the amonnia level in the QT are getting high? I would hate for you to go thru all this work to have the fish die from the amonnia/nitrite.

Bill,

I can't confirm eating because I don't see it happening but the food is disappearing now. I have to shine a light on the tank when I observe them so that probably freaks them out. Most of the time they are in total darkness or only a small room light (remember this is unfinished part of my basement). Ammonia/nitrite poisoning do have signs but if I'm not home to see it, it can kill just as fast as MV which we have already seen to be in a few hours sometimes.

calaxa said:
Rbu1 said:

Bill,

I can't confirm eating because I don't see it happening but the food is disappearing now. I have to shine a light on the tank when I observe them so that probably freaks them out. Most of the time they are in total darkness or only a small room light (remember this is unfinished part of my basement). Ammonia/nitrite poisoning do have signs but if I'm not home to see it, it can kill just as fast as MV which we have already seen to be in a few hours sometimes.

OK well I think if you are still using that Prime that will detoxify the amonnia and nitrite.

I said it earlier and told you on phone but for others following the thread......Seachem Prime and stuff like Amquel/Amquel+ contain sulfur. This can potentially reduce Cu++ to Cu+ which is 10x as toxic to the fish. Prime reeks of sulfur....Amquel does not but I suspect it's in there too. There are no warning labels regarding mixing these two chemicals but a little research finds that Seachem says do not use Prime and Cupramine in combination. I believe they recommend adding live bacteria (forget their product name).

I think I will just get a Nessler reagent test kit that can distinguish the ammonia concentration and not the false reading from amides. Others have assured me that my filter should hold up as my feeding level is very light right now. I do have about 70G of water volume in the tank.

I can also add about 10-20G of new water thus giving a fair dilution of ammonia/nitrite in the system. If you remember, I have SG at 1.021 so it could stand to raise a point or two so it will be easier to match the second stage QT.

I do want to say that mixing Seachem's Prime and Cupramine will not necessarily form Cu+ ions. If I remember from my inorganic chemistry (which is not what I specialized in and was so long ago), it's not a reaction that is very favorable. I think that Seachem is doing more of a CYA when advising users not to mix. However, with that said, I would still not risk doing it since we made such progress in bringing these last 5 fish back from the brink of disaster. Just letting anyone else who might have a similar experience know that it's not as unsafe as I might have made it sound and if there was a dire emergency to remove ammonia/nitrite, Amquel/Amquel+ could probably be used (suggest over Seachem Prime as it is much more diluted). Of course, water changes should be the preferred method of removing them.

Back to the fish, though. I have a FW dip ready for when I go home. I will take a look at all of them and this time, I'm pretty sure will be my last dip on the fish. My second QT has matching SG but I am thinking of raising to about 1.023-1.024. There appears to be no food in the tank so someone is eating...just not while I am watching them. Guess they are self-conscious.

cal...you have me curious...what is it you do for a living?...you seem well versed in chemistry...if the question is too personal...no worries...you don't have to answer...

He went to college for chemistry......He is an einstein...... ;D His test is my fish....If he can save them he will be called the Fish Doctor.

I majored in biochem/chem and economics in college. Wanted a phd in chem but no way I was gonna be poor for so long so I sold out and went into banking. Couldn't stand it so switched careers to my hobby at the time (networking) which leads me to my specialty of network security architecture and design. I still remember my chem very well though especially orgo (yes I'll never forget a friedel-craft rxn or a grignard reagent), analytical and instrumental analysis. My P-chem is hazy though and I don't remember my quantum stuff all that well. On bio side I don't remember the stuff as well (cannot recite every piece of kreb cycle any more, etc.)

calaxa said:
I majored in biochem/chem and economics in college. Wanted a phd in chem but no way I was gonna be poor for so long so I sold out and went into banking. Couldn't stand it so switched careers to my hobby at the time (networking) which leads me to my specialty of network security architecture and design. I still remember my chem very well though especially orgo (yes I'll never forget a friedel-craft rxn or a grignard reagent), analytical and instrumental analysis. My P-chem is hazy though and I don't remember my quantum stuff all that well. On bio side I don't remember the stuff as well (cannot recite every piece of kreb cycle any more, etc.)

Yeah what he said ;D I told you Einstein.......

Thanks for the compliment Bill. I think the velvet has actually passed from the fish and we're almost in the clear. The treatment needs to last till the 20th though just to be sure. So we just have to hope the biological filter holds up. I'm going to add a second seeded sponge filter tomorrow night and that should hold us for the 9 days we have left. I'll also prepare with 20G of SW in case I need a water change (but with 2nd filter I think we're good). Everyone looked pretty good. I'm gonna do the last dip after I put the kids to bed so hopefully we get good shots of the purple. I'll dip everyone else but no need for pics on them. They have not a single dot at this point, not even the hippo.

calaxa said:
Thanks for the compliment Bill. I think the velvet has actually passed from the fish and we're almost in the clear. The treatment needs to last till the 20th though just to be sure. So we just have to hope the biological filter holds up. I'm going to add a second seeded sponge filter tomorrow night and that should hold us for the 9 days we have left. I'll also prepare with 20G of SW in case I need a water change (but with 2nd filter I think we're good). Everyone looked pretty good. I'm gonna do the last dip after I put the kids to bed so hopefully we get good shots of the purple. I'll dip everyone else but no need for pics on them. They have not a single dot at this point, not even the hippo.

Great work Nathan.

interesting...nods...and I agree...that's why I never went for my ph.d...just stopped at the masters...I was never any good at chemistry..laughs

Rbu...I'm glad you have him caring for your fish...it's a shame you had to experience this

Inquisitive said:
interesting...nods...and I agree...that's why I never went for my ph.d...just stopped at the masters...I was never any good at chemistry..laughs

Rbu...I'm glad you have him caring for your fish...it's a shame you had to experience this

I am also glad Nathan stepped up to help me out. I have been in the hobby for a good amount of years but do not have the experience treating fish and understanding the chemicals. It is definetlty a shame, and I hope no one has to go thru it. Its not easy losing half your livestock most of which have been around for several years.

Nothing new to report really. Gave last FW dip and here are pictures of purple tang (stressed color). Don't think he needs the dips anymore. Fed brine and again the food disappeared but no one ate in front me. I think once the copper treatment is over, the purple should heal up where his fin and skin has rotted. On another note, I actually had a power outage but it came back right after I got the battery air pump out.

DSC_0170-1.jpg

DSC_0171.jpg

DSC_0172.jpg

Yeah he doesnt look to good in that picture. Sorry about the power outage......I know they tried to force me to work last night. There was a great deal of wires down due to the wind.

Still alive.....nothing else to report. 5 more days before treatment of copper is over and then we'll start trying to get food into all of them.