• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Saving Fish with Velvet

Unfortunately I was busy with work this week and was not able to check on the fish on a daily basis. Two nights ago, I noticed the purple tang's side was not healing properly but actually getting worse. I examined him and his fins had eroded more. His behavior was still normal though there seemed to be a mass hunger strike ever since copper treatment was started (pretty normal though). The side where he had a bacterial infection began to have a cottony growth. I started adding ampicillin which unfortunately is a weak antibiotic but what I had available. I remembered Bill gave me some Maracyn Two so poured that in. Unfotunately there was about half a capful of it and the dosage was 1 capful per 10 gallons. Don't think half a capful in about 70G of water is gonna cut it. Alas, the purple tang did not make it. He appears to be velvet free but succumbed to the secondary infection. Coupled with the copper and lack of nutrition, these all contributed to his demise. Bill is coming over tomorrow with two tanks to prepare the remaining 4 fish to be QT'd in the absense of copper. Hopefully they can begin eating normally again in there.

Sorry Bill....I was afraid to use antibiotics earlier for fear of my biological filter was not prepared for it. I think I could've saved him had I taken the chance on using it a few days earlier.

Hi Nathan,

Did you do the switch from the stock tank to the breeders? Just curious on how they look now that you can see the entire fish. Let me know. Thanks

Sorry for the long hiatus without the update. Bill came over with 2 40L breeders. I started filling one with saltwater and set it at 1.023 SG, 78 degrees. With the evaporation over the last few weeks, the copper tank had reached 1.024 SG. I took some bacteria seeded LR from my other QT (which was used as a hypo tank) and just in case added a dose of Seachem Prime. As the water was very similar, I did a pretty fast acclimation (15 mins) and moved them over. The hippo and large maroon are not eating very well (after I found out from Bill they don't eat pellets but prefer flakes). The small maroon gobbled a bit of flakes as well. I cannot tell if the wrasse is eating. I don't actually see him eating food but he makes snacthing motions. I have them on a regular light schedule and initially was going to split up the wrasse and hippo to two tanks but decided to just put all fish in one. All are swimming regularly except for the hippo who is using whatever rocks he can as his hiding spot. Not concerned about it as he eats very heartily at this point. These 4 fish should now be completely crypto and velvet free and can be returned to Bill whenever he feels his tank is disease free. I'll post a picture of them in their new living arrangements when I get some more time.

BTW, if anyone wants 70G of copper water (roughly 0.40 ppm) at SG 1.024, send me a PM. I put another fish in there for the time being but in 2-3 weeks, I probably will be dumping it all.

Awesome.....Thanks Nathan. They would eat all kinds of stuff when I had them. Mysis, Brine, Flake and my homemade stuff. Hopefully they continue to improve and start eating like pigs again. Not sure when I should put them back in. My original thought was like June. What do you think??? I was thinking 3 months.

The earliest would be end of March/first week of April and you probably have a 95% CI (confidence interval) that velvet is out of your system. You could do it stepwise if you like (ie introduce clowns first as they are more resistant cause of their slime coat etc.). June is being ultra conservative (maybe even too safe if there is such a thing). They don't bother me down in the basement so it's up to you but of the 4 remaining, the wrasse is the one I worry about since I don't have ideal conditions for him and I am not sure if he's eating enough. The fact he's a jumper doesn't help either. Remember I have 2 very curious kids who like to see the "sick" fish down there.

calaxa said:
The hippo and large maroon are not eating very well (after I found out from Bill they don't eat pellets but prefer flakes).

Oops...I meant they are NOW eating very well.....sorry if I scared you Bill. The wrasse is only one I don't know if he's eating or not. I'll give him some fresh squid/scallops and see if that entices him.

I scared about putting them back in just yet. We can figure something out. There is no chance that they could have picked up ich right? The only reason I am concerned is I will be getting all new fish from Dr. Jim. I am 100% confident that any fish that comes from him will be disease and parasite free. If there is any way that my fish could still have ich I defeated the purpose of leaving the tank fishless and getting all my fish disease/parasite free. I also will not know if the parasite came from my fish or was still in my tank. What are your thoughts????