• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Seahorses and Zoa's 29 Gallon Build

This time i'll try to actually take and post pictures of progress unlike my 75 build. My goal for this tank is to create a crazy cool side project involving seahorses and zoas. My plan is to only put in high end crazy colorful zoos and palys (with the exception of what i'm moving in from my 75). I'd like to frag them as I go and sell/trade them here at good prices to continue to fund the build (and spread the love without bankrupting anyone). With the exception of livestock i'm working on a budget. My budget is as cheap as possible. I got the tank and stand for free from a family friend. The stand is steel and i'm using the bottom shelf fom my QT tank. The stand isn't level so i'm working on getting that taken care of. No pics tonight as there isn't anything really to take a picture of. Tomorrow the plan is to fill and rock the tank. More to follow.

Oh yea, I haven't bought my light yet so if anyone can chime in to how many watts per gallon i need for the reef portion, feel free to chime in and let me know.

Brian

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
What are the dimensions on the tank? If you can get a T5 fixture for it, that would be my recomendation for zoas.

If its shallow you could even get away with Pcs, and those fixtures are really cheap. Even 2xT5 would be enough right?

panmanmatt said:
If it's a standard 29 gallon tank then it is 30" long. I would go with this fixture myself. And with the upcoming PA group buy you could get a good deal on it.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...uct_Code=CU-USA01151&Category_Code=Current-T5

Yes you are correct. The dimensions are approx 30x12x18. I was originally hoping to get away with a 2xt5 but then i found out that 30" fixtures only have a 24" bulb in them leaving me a total of 48 watts which i'm worried won't be enough for the zoas to really take off and thrive.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The fixture I linked to is a 4x24w light for a total of 96w. Plenty for zoas since it uses individual reflectors.

Yea, I took a look. Thanks for the link. I'm going to look at it more in depth tomorrow. I just finished shimming and found out that i only have 3.5 inches from the top of the tank to a wall mounted cabinet. I thought i was going to have like 5 inches. Tomorrow i'm going to hacksaw the stand legs down 2 inches so i'll be able to fit a good fixture there.

The sundial is a great fixture for the price. I have the same on eover my 24NC and I was keeping sps up high. Zoos,rics, and acans thrived on the sand.

I'm actually leaning towards that one. I do have some acans and some chalices that I might try in the tank and a better light would definately make it possible.

JRWOHLER said:
+1 on that fixture.  Group buy hopefully will start in a week or so.  It will force you to take your time.

I agree.  My live rock came out of someones display a few days ago and is already cycled.  My plan is to rock the tank and get some snails in (of course assuming the water test numbers are good).  Get the light.  Start planting. Transfer the few zoas I have in my display (all hard coral).  Start getting pods going.  Get some new zoas.  Once I'm 100% sure it's stable, then i'll introduct a horse.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
njhcnwk said:
panmanmatt said:
Any idea what species of seahorse you're gonna get and where from?

That decision has yet to be finalized yet. Recommendations?
I was thinking 2 or 3 pairs...

Well since you asked, lol.
You have a few options as far as species go.

Erectus- a great beginner species, very hardy and of medium size. Typically 6-7 inches as adults with some up to 8-9. 1-2 pairs max for a 29 gallon.

Reidi- great species also, but can be a little more finicky when it comes to eating. If gotten from a reputable source than this usually isn't an issue. I don't consider the LFS a reputable source no matter how good they are. Little larger in size, typically 8-9 inches with some reaching 12 or more. 1 pair for a 29 gallon.

Fuscus- awesome seahorses. Not readily available all the time. Smaller seahorse with typical size being 4-6 inches. Could do 3 pair in a 29 gallon.

As for where to get them. www.SeahorseSource.com is where I get all mine from. They are a family run seahorse breeding business so you are buy direct from the breeder. This alleviates a lot of problems and costs. Their customer service is top notch and all their seahorses are healthy and eating great.

Still playing around with the rockwork to get it the way I want it. Wow, 35ish pounds of live rock really doesn't look like that much at all (i have 135 in my 75). Tested the water that the LR was curing in for the last week.
Ammonia:.25
Nitrite:<.25
Nitrate:10-20
Pretty happy that it doesn't look like i'm going to have to wait for a full cycle.

I wanted to leave the front open for viewing the coral so the plants will be on the sides. Maybe put a few items in front for them to hitch on. Thats my qt tank underneath.

tank.jpg

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What temperature are you running the tank at? Most seahorse tanks don't need a heater as you want them in the 72-74 degree range.

Running at 75. I read I think on seahorse.org that that was the optimum temp. I know the setup is pretty basic but what do you think? Between 20lbs live sand, 35 pounds LR, and the HOB (put polymedia instead of biomedia) do you think that im set filtrationwise?