• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Small yellow tang

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
What size yellow tang could be the best option for a 45 jbj??

Thanks

you can buy a tank raised yellow biota tang they are Tiny.You can keep that fish in that tank for a few years.

they cost a little more but they are very hardy and don’t grow large. They have never seen the ocean so they are adapted to tank life.
when it gets to big for your tank you can sell it and buy another one .

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
When you ask the question like this, you'll always get an answer you want. Most tangs are incredibly hardy fish and very easy to keep alive---if that's what you mean by "successfully". Tangs are likely to live in a 55, but they will seldom ,if ever, thrive. There is a big difference.

As to fish in your tank; there are lots of beautiful wrasses, dwarf angels, clown-fish, gobies, even a couple of smaller butterfly fish and many others, that would do well. Check out Live Aquaria; their suggested tank sizes are quite good, for a retailer. Their site can give you some good suggestions. LA is also an outstanding dealer, IMO & IME.

Tangs are built to jet in and out of the rock-work and as they get bigger they need more space to do so. If not they get very jumpy and jittery and will crash into the glass due to a small confine.

There are always conflicting opinions especially on this topic. If they truly want to know the answers then the stickies will point the way. On the other hand if they want a bunch of I kept one in a (fill in the size) tank with no problems, Then that is here also. Ultimately it is up to the individual. But, What really irks me is in a short period of time there will be another "HELP MY TANG IS SICK" thread. :beatdeadhorse5:

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I got my yellow tang from Wilson.
wilson has the yellow tang in a small tank.
When the fish got big he rehomed it.
igot a good healthy fish and he had a tang in his tank for some time.
tank sizes on these sites are a suggestion.
100 gallon 4ft tank is not going to offer that much real estate than other 4ft tanks.
100gallon 6ft tank will give fish a happier home. The biota tangs are the size of a quarter when they are sold. Like I said they are tiny.That fish will be happy in that tank for a long time. Once it’s too big post it here and I am sure it can find a new home.
I wouldn’t buy the fish online.
Reefco has some and so does ACC go check them out.

Diana is correct with what she is saying the fish quality of life is important.

Agree with all the points made above including getting a tiny aquacultured one if possible, but still may have to rehome it eventually. The wild-caught ones don't come in as small. Absolutely Fish (Clifton) had a whole bunch of aquacultured tiny ones for awhile.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Agree with all the points made above including getting a tiny aquacultured one if possible, but still may have to rehome it eventually. The wild-caught ones don't come in as small. Absolutely Fish (Clifton) had a whole bunch of aquacultured tiny ones for awhile.

yeah absolutely fish is also a good option. They have a tank with just Biota fish for sale

Yellow coris wrasse has the striking color of a Yellow tang, interesting behavior as it prowls the rock work and burrows in the sand to sleep, and will stay the right size for e tank too. Other wrasses are attractive as well but if you like the yellow they are hardy and inexpensive.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Can’t find Captive bred captive bred yellow tang any where!!!! :(

manhattan aquariums always has a selection of small fish.
since they cater to the NYC market that’s mostly Nano tanks they always have a large selection of reef safe small fish.