• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Spotter's long distance tank build...

but.. I will pay for shipping...

lol.

but, seriously that frag tank is beautiful, saw it personally at the NJ frag swap. great buy, steal for the price you got it for.

I will have to practice my shipping skills!

I was wondering if anyone had seen it. I'm looking forward to getting it and setting it up. I'm looking at lighting options now. As much as I love my mh's on the dt I will have to use LEDs on this tank. I have to watch the temps in my fish room. I'm looking at either the kessils or AI hydra's.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
as far as lighting goes, I would go with 2 Kessils 350s and supplement with 2 T5 bulbs to help with the shadows on the SPS frags.

the 350s right now are a great value for a frag tank.
grab a philips ballast off amazon for $50

should be good to go!

What I think you need to look into as a GEOTHERMAL Chiller. All it requires is a big hole.. couple feet of tubing and a Decent Pump. OR... Go Oldschool and simply build in an exhaust for your fish room. If you have central air.. ducting one of the Air Vent's directly into or above your sump can easilly mitigate ANY heat buildup.

I want LED's to work too.. Right now the ONLY thing I would remotely consider is replacing my Halides with 3 Fullspectrum LED fixtures like Radions.. with T'5 (At LEAST 4).

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Everything looks great. Loved the slide show. I was extremely tempted to buy one of those frag tanks at the swap and when they put them on r2r. Kinda kicking myself for not pulling the trigger. Can't wait to see it set up.

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
Those frag tanks are sweet. I remember drooling over an acanthophyllia at the swap that was in one. There's an incredible amount of flow growing through that tank with almost zero surface disturbance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Over due update......

Tank is doing amazingly well and has exceeded my expectations beyond belief. I owe a lot of the success to the natureef reactor and resisting the urge to tinker with the tank. I saved a bucket of coral skeletons from last tank when I was in NJ and whenever I think "what if I did this to the tank" I look at that bucket and walk away. I did break down and get a great camera and macro lens which has allowed me to take some amazing pictures.

Shots from the Display Tank...

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
Man. I really need to get a macro lens for the old dslr body I have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk