• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

sps dies in one day

what would cause this frag to die literly in front of my eyes?

photo4-1.jpg

It doesn't look dead in the picture, Mike. Has it turned completely snow white overnight?
Check your alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, pH, etc. and please let us have the results so we can "try" and figure out what happened.

JerseyWendy said:
It doesn't look dead in the picture, Mike. Has it turned completely snow white overnight?
Check your alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, pH, etc. and please let us have the results so we can "try" and figure out what happened.

Hey wendy

if you look in the lower left corner of the picture you will see where it started to white out. now this morning it's all white, and you can see the ckin bubbling off. im gonna go test my water right now and will post my results

I've got more questions for you, too, Mike. Where was the frag located? What was the flow like? Are there any softies near it that could have come in contact with it? How are all your other stonies looking?

Mike that's RTN, list every test result including salt, nitrate, phos, ammo, temp and the ones Wendy listed. RTN can be caused by many differant things.

ok here we go

Nitrite=0
Calcium=360
Nitrate=0
Amonia=0
PH=8.0
Salt=1.024
Phosphate=0
Mag=1470
Alk=2.24
KH=7.0
Temp is at 78

Frag is by itself on the bottom of the tank

your calcium and alk is a little low, it needs to be stable cal. 400-450 and alk 8-9 that could have been just one reason, another could be chem war with your softies.

How are your other stonies looking? I agree with Tom about dKh and CA. They need to come up. If it's RTN (I suspect as much as well), then make sure the tissue that's coming off doesn't get in contact with your other stonies.

Use a 2 part solution or Tropic marin bio calcium ( I like the trop marin the best out of all the other calcium additives.

I'm betting its the Alk. I had issues with corals bleaching from the bottom up. Read a post on RC which suggested low Alk. Raised my alk and have not had an issue since

make sure it's not chem warfare with softies. if you got leather and a healthy population of leather the more susceptible your sps are i think. i had same trouble with Monti Cap. maybe not one day but a few days for it to go from bright purple to pearly white. in my case too much leather corals. (3 types of sarcophytons, kenya tree and a sphaghetti leathers) i think alleopathy caused by them killed off the monti. fortunately, my pocillopora is surviving still. i use 2 part to keep calcium and alk up.

cheers.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I highly doubt it's chemical related from the leathers. He only has 3 and they are all less than 2 inches in size. I have seen the tank in person and his other SPS are all showing growth.

Anyone think it may be a result of being burned by the epoxy?