• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

sps dies in one day

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Looked like epoxy when I was there the other day. Maybe Mike can chime in and let us know for sure.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Did you run the FWE? What water changes have you done since then? Did you siphon any of the flatworms out when you were done dosing? Those let off some pretty good toxins which would affect your SPS faster than anything else in your tank.

Phyl said:
Did you run the FWE? What water changes have you done since then? Did you siphon any of the flatworms out when you were done dosing? Those let off some pretty good toxins which would affect your SPS faster than anything else in your tank.

I ran the fwe about a week and a half ago. i siphoned as much as i could, and only have done a 5 gallon water change

If everything and everyone else in your tank is looking good, Mike, then I wouldn't start ripping my hair out over it. It's sad that you lost that pretty thing, and I know it upset you, just keep your eyes on the alkalinity and the rest of the parameters, and all should be fine. :)

JerseyWendy said:
If everything and everyone else in your tank is looking good, Mike, then I wouldn't start ripping my hair out over it. It's sad that you lost that pretty thing, and I know it upset you, just keep your eyes on the alkalinity and the rest of the parameters, and all should be fine. :)

Thanks Wendy thats what i am going to do. im gonna get the tropic marine stuff from Tom and add it in. weird thing though i looked at the piece this morning, and instead of white it is turning brown when i get home today i will check it out and post a picture see what you guys think

Welp She's a gonner :'( :'( :'( I want another one

dead1.jpg

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sorry to hear that Mike. Unfortunately, I have a five gallon bucket full of unexplained deaths just like that. I'll have a frag do nothing for 6 months then errupt into a beautiful colony then RTN over night and look just like that. Usually there is no smoking gun. Everything else in the tank is fine, it just decides that it's its time to go.

JohnS_323 said:
Sorry to hear that Mike. Unfortunately, I have a five gallon bucket full of unexplained deaths just like that. I'll have a frag do nothing for 6 months then errupt into a beautiful colony then RTN over night and look just like that. Usually there is no smoking gun. Everything else in the tank is fine, it just decides that it's its time to go.

Yea i hate to see things die i'll just have to get another one if i can remeber what it was LOL im bad remebering half of them

Phyl said:
Sounds like algae growth.

Yup. That's what the brown is.

I had an acro RTN a few weeks back. Not completely. I didn't feel like fragging it to try and save the few bits and pieces left. Turned brown about 2 or 3 days after (as that fresh skeleton will get coated almost instantly!).

Color coming back now though on what was left.

OT, but will the acro flesh actually grow over the algae on the skeleton?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Our efflo, the lone survivor, had the tips burned off of it when we lost our SPS in September. The tips of that are rapidly recovering the bare/algae covered skeletin. I think there's one left that has visible death remaining. The new flesh is able to grow faster over the existing skeletin and is actually quite purple.