• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

SPS turning white ,, don't know why?

so I recently lost a pink and green birdsnest now my pocapora is turning white and my levels are really good
calcium 447. Checker
Alk 9.04. Checker
Mag - 1162
Ammonia 0
Nitrate about 10 ppm
Nitrites 0
ph .12 ppb. Checker
Any ideas ?

Last edited:
No tips white I have branches turning white,,I have my whites set no higher than 35% and blues no higher than 80%,, I will post pic in the morning long day at work to tired to go down and turn up lights for pic

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
With your nutrients so low I would suggest lowering your alk. I always had issues with sps keeping my nutrients that low and alk above 8. Also try posting a picture it may help determine what is going on.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
It seems like @Sunny and @kschweer might be on to something. I know I lost my birdnest (2 of them) due to me being a neebie and not lowering my lights when adding them to my tank. I not have another birdnest which is doing well. I have a blue voodoo, a couple of caps, a digi, a birdnest, and an acro all seem to be doing ok. Here are my numbers from last week (I only test weekly).

pH - 8.1
Ammon - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 15
Cal - 450
Alk - 7.8
Phos - 0
Mag - 1380

Maybe take your sps out and re-dip them? What dip are you using?

Here are a couple of pics sorry if not so clear,, I dipped it in revive this morning with an air stone to keep water moving I also retested this morning and my
Alk. 8.12
Calcium 458
Mag 1180
Nitrates 15

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    146.9 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    139.3 KB · Views: 18

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
yes i do my last test was 8days ago and it tested at 8.04 NOT 9.04 my fat fingers on iPhone ( sorry i will go on diet lol )
it happens. I have fat fingers many times.

Do you dose anything?
Do you have other sps corals that are doing well?
Do you have other corals (non sps)? How are they doing?

my Alkalinity has been high around 10 but that was over 2 months ago have slowly been lowering it after i lost my birds nest 2 months ago cause i thought it was to high and then i have brothers that keep it at 10 always but it been stable at around 8-8.25 for a couple of weeks now

i dont dose anything i have a calcium reactor for 5 months now and i never had any swings in Calcium or Alkalinity, All my other corals are doing great sps lps . softies @njtiger24 whats funny is this pocapora is in the same spot my birds nest were.. Maybe Flow? i also don't use any phos or gfo i use to but my phos levels always swung week to week and since i removed it my levels seem ok,,, i put a zero for phos cause i ran out of reagent,,,@saltkreep88

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
i dont dose anything i have a calcium reactor for 5 months now and i never had any swings in Calcium or Alkalinity, All my other corals are doing great sps lps . softies @njtiger24 whats funny is this pocapora is in the same spot my birds nest were.. Maybe Flow? i also don't use any phos or gfo i use to but my phos levels always swung week to week and since i removed it my levels seem ok,,, i put a zero for phos cause i ran out of reagent,,,@saltkreep88

Same spot? Again I am no expert but I'm not sure about flow but what about location? Is it up high in the tank or low? Might still be a too much/not enough light? Or like @Sunny said a pest.