• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Starting 30 Gallon Reef! Questions???

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
W

At some point today I am starting a tank tale! My tank is days away from being birth with water.
Sweet man let me know i highly recommend biospira it’ll help cycle and i messed up went with grainy sandy don’t really like it now specially for my diggers that pink Fuji stuff is beautiful sand and get some good quality dry rock or live what ever you going with i got some cheap quality stuff and it was butt

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Sweet man let me know i highly recommend biospira it’ll help cycle and i messed up went with grainy sandy don’t really like it now specially for my diggers that pink Fuji stuff is beautiful sand and get some good quality dry rock or live what ever you going with i got some cheap quality stuff and it was butt

I heard there is a great place in bergen county ionic or something that has amazing live rock. That's where I plan to go. I don't want fine sand - I'd like a medium grain.

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
I heard there is a great place in bergen county ionic or something that has amazing live rock. That's where I plan to go. I don't want fine sand - I'd like a medium grain.
cool stuff man i went with dry rock i really hate bristle worms and trying to avoid them so wanted to take a the cheaper route of dry rock aswell but got some rock off amaazon pretty much garbage next tank ill know better tho

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
cool stuff man i went with dry rock i really hate bristle worms and trying to avoid them so wanted to take a the cheaper route of dry rock aswell but got some rock off amaazon pretty much garbage next tank ill know better tho
You could dip the rock but than you deal with killing sponge and other beneficial stuff

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
You could dip the rock but than you deal with killing sponge and other beneficial stuff
yah i got an infestation of sponges in my other tank haha currently this one i have is pretty much ready for coral ill be dipping all my corals this week and entering them in the new tank .

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Ugh that's saddening ! Maybe I'll store some waste water for the flower beds. I mean for me I need 5 gallons a week give or take
If the unit is running properly, you should get 5gal of fresh RO in about 1hr, 1.5hrs give or take

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
Sponges will come and go based on the available nutrients. They’re a good reef member, filtering your water.
you have any good pictures of sponges in your reef? mine look weird pretty looks like pink lump after awhile the middle looks like something came out of it to me they look like fuzzy pink cocoons

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
How would you recommend cleaning the tank before adding water / sand? Dish detergent and water? Or is there a special method?