• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Starting 30 Gallon Reef! Questions???

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Start slow don’t buy sps.
Buy soft coral and zoas if you don’t kill them after a year then add sps. This is a new tank setup. You want to keep it simple. Learn how to maintain your tank after you have an established tank and you understand the requirements of coral. You can grow sps you just need to put them high on the rocks.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I am just worried that the A80's won't cast enough light for all corals. It might be okay for zoa's and LPS but not SPS corals.
Definitely not enough for sps, you 'd need at least a 2nd one.

It may be a a little difficult to run a spa tank in a 30g

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Definitely not enough for sps, you 'd need at least a 2nd one.

It may be a a little difficult to run a spa tank in a 30g

I plan on having two A80 minimum. When you say SPA do you mean SPS? Sorry if that's a dumb question. Would a third A80 allow me to grow those corals

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I plan on having two A80 minimum. When you say SPA do you mean SPS? Sorry if that's a dumb question. Would a third A80 allow me to grow those corals
Yea my "spa" was a typo. I meant Sps.

2 should do it as you'll get the adequate light coverage/spread. 3 may be overkill. You'll just need to adjust the intensity to compensate. You could supplement with t5's if you'd like. That's what I did on my tank.

I've tried sps in my tank before and for me it didn't work out. I couldn't keep up with the parameter swings.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Yea my "spa" was a typo. I meant Sps.

2 should do it as you'll get the adequate light coverage/spread. 3 may be overkill. You'll just need to adjust the intensity to compensate. You could supplement with t5's if you'd like. That's what I did on my tank.

I've tried sps in my tank before and for me it didn't work out. I couldn't keep up with the parameter swings.

I will definitely start with zoas and LPS which I don't think I'll have a problem with.. however, I will see one one day and be like I NEED it

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I had a 48” x 24 x 12 deep blue frag tank and I had two A80 growing frags. 15 watts per light.
Two on a 30 long should be enough

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
I had a 48” x 24 x 12 deep blue frag tank and I had two A80 growing frags. 15 watts per light.
Two on a 30 long should be enough

I agree ! One wouldn't cover the entire tank since it's 36 inches long. If I decide on SPS Ill have to figure that out down the road. Did you see my most recent Pm?

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
It's super long....should make for a nice lagoon Style tank
What exactly do you mean by a lagoon style? I am not sure of the different types? My brother has a 65 deep & Tall. I prefer the longer tanks which allow fish to swim longer lengths. So I am really excited.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Its DIMS (36” x 15” x 13”) so it seems long but pretty shallow....which I feel is a good thing. Give you easy access to the tanks sandbed and what not.

Something like this is what I'm referring to. (Pic I found off the internet)

imageproxy.jpeg

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I like shallow tanks. I have a 125 gallon and I am glad I didn’t get the 180 or the 220.

Deep tanks are hard to clean. Lighting a deep tank is also a problem and you always have dead spots. Getting the flow on a tall tank is also difficult.
For me 20” or less works best

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
I like shallow tanks. I have a 125 gallon and I am glad I didn’t get the 180 or the 220.

Deep tanks are hard to clean. Lighting a deep tank is also a problem and you always have dead spots. Getting the flow on a tall tank is also difficult.
For me 20” or less works best
The back of my brothers tank is ALWAYS dark. Hence why he struggles with keeping his levels stable. I keep trying to tell him but he's stubborn. I would have loved a 80/100 long. Would look so clean and cool. Furthermore the deep tanks are SO hard to reach the bottom.

deepblue68

POTM Winner
Welcome to the club! Iam from wanaque nnj and just got back in the hobby recently. I am running Kessil's lights on my 40 breeder and I really like there products. Iam pretty happy with my skimmer which is a sca 301 and find it works very well and has a small footprint. I also feel its a affordable skimmer.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Welcome to the club! Iam from wanaque nnj and just got back in the hobby recently. I am running Kessil's lights on my 40 breeder and I really like there products. Iam pretty happy with my skimmer which is a sca 301 and find it works very well and has a small footprint. I also feel its a affordable skimmer.

Welcome back!! Do you use the kessil controller? One light or two?