• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Starting 30 Gallon Reef! Questions???

deepblue68

POTM Winner
no there first generation a350 tuna blues not controllable. I had a a360 which I sold which was controllable and I like.the new a360x really looks like an awesome light but not cheap.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
im also selling a pretty much brand new Buddie with a DI resin chamber and an extra bag of resin so you can refill the DI the other filters have been changed and used twice since i changed it, i have it packed in the original box and all 30$ i live in Bergen County
I am just worried that the A80's won't cast enough light for all corals. It might be okay for zoa's and LPS but not SPS corals.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
im also selling a pretty much brand new Buddie with a DI resin chamber and an extra bag of resin so you can refill the DI the other filters have been changed and used twice since i changed it, i have it packed in the original box and all 30$ i live in Bergen County

How much for resin bag?

I just bought a new buddie

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
ahh well resin bag is opened i got it off amazon for like 20$
also i read your post, i have the AI prime HD on a 32G biocube atm had it on a 10g nano running at like 40% power if not less had it setup to get stronger after like 60 days got major algae outbreaks that killed off my some corals AI got a ton of power so id recommend a good program build and start it small. i decreased mine from like 27W to like 20ish and the algae died off pretty much clean the glass once every other day and i feel like thats alot kessils are nice but are stupidly expensive i also had the Marine orbit before this light it was good cause but didnt grow ANYTHING maybe cause my tank was freshly new not sure but it control and stuff was awesome growth was azz

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
also i read your post, i have the AI prime HD on a 32G biocube atm had it on a 10g nano running at like 40% power if not less had it setup to get stronger after like 60 days got major algae outbreaks that killed off my some corals AI got a ton of power so id recommend a good program build and start it small. i decreased mine from like 27W to like 20ish and the algae died off pretty much clean the glass once every other day and i feel like thats alot kessils are nice but are stupidly expensive i also had the Marine orbit before this light it was good cause but didnt grow ANYTHING maybe cause my tank was freshly new not sure but it control and stuff was awesome growth was azz

I picked up 2 A80's from someone on the site. I got the spectral controller so I'll have a good program! I am worried about the intensity but if it cycled with a program it should be okay. Will need to monitor it

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
Link? I've been looking for one! Why are you selling ?
honestly connected it to my basement sink and used a 5g jug to collect the waste water to the collected water was insane spent more on water bill than its actually worth but thats my opinion just doesnt produce enough or fast enough for my likings, i just go to the water store fill up 6 jugs once a month have water changes for days i pay 2 dollars for 5g tested the water pretty much with everything its not perfection rodi but its pretty clean and my phosphates are like .3-.5ish for about 8 months i had really really slow growth in my tank due to the fact my girlfriend lovesssss to put her hands in and move crap around was my first reef had no idea what i was doing just read off posts. after about 9 months i got huge growth like i my hammer coral grew 3 extra heads my toadstool trippled in size my rasta zaos went from 1 poylp to like 10? another zao i had went from 3 poylp to like 20 what ive learned is its better to just leave it alone and be prepared to wait months for growth. people will tell you oh my coral got 20 times bigger in 2 months yah ok... one of the guys i met on the forum has a 500 gallon in his basement which he pretty much gave me a full coral setup for like 50$ had his tank for 10 years and said his growth isnt even that fast so dont always believe what people say imo tho

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
some of my favorite info i actually got from this forum alot of these NJ guys know their stuff i sat on reef2reef and got so many mixed reviews hard to believe everything so if you have questions id ask here, alot of older reefers i noticed who been in the hobby for a long long time, just takes alittle longer to get info since its not super busy like reef2reef / major reef communities but i mostly just trust these guys just my little information i picked up from my 14 month reef journey haha

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
honestly connected it to my basement sink and used a 5g jug to collect the waste water to the collected water was insane spent more on water bill than its actually worth but thats my opinion just doesnt produce enough or fast enough for my likings, i just go to the water store fill up 6 jugs once a month have water changes for days i pay 2 dollars for 5g tested the water pretty much with everything its not perfection rodi but its pretty clean and my phosphates are like .3-.5ish for about 8 months i had really really slow growth in my tank due to the fact my girlfriend lovesssss to put her hands in and move crap around was my first reef had no idea what i was doing just read off posts. after about 9 months i got huge growth like i my hammer coral grew 3 extra heads my toadstool trippled in size my rasta zaos went from 1 poylp to like 10? another zao i had went from 3 poylp to like 20 what ive learned is its better to just leave it alone and be prepared to wait months for growth. people will tell you oh my coral got 20 times bigger in 2 months yah ok... one of the guys i met on the forum has a 500 gallon in his basement which he pretty much gave me a full coral setup for like 50$ had his tank for 10 years and said his growth isnt even that fast so dont always believe what people say imo tho

If you install a second RO membrane into the system it doubles the good water and reduces the waste water. Obviously more expensive though.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
If you install a second RO membrane into the system it doubles the good water and reduces the waste water. Obviously more expensive though.
You can do that but your psi going into the RO will need to be high enough for it to be effective.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
So you get the additional pump and the memrbane for 70 bucks. You'll break even so quick
Sure, but before a second ro membrane is added, check your psi going into the unit. With a second membrane, you may need a booster pump.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Sure, but before a second ro membrane is added, check your psi going into the unit. With a second membrane, you may need a booster pump.
That is what I'm saying get the pump and you're litty mgitty. But also holds true can't have too much psi. I wanna see what type of waste I produce before adding the second membrane and pump

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
That is what I'm saying get the pump and you're litty mgitty. But also holds true can't have too much psi. I wanna see what type of waste I produce before adding the second membrane and pump
Gotcha

Typically, you'll run about a 3:1, waste to "good" ratio as is but that depends on your unit more less.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Possibly if enough water is running through it. Maybe 2:1, but again, its depending on your unit and its membrane. I wouldn't expect that from a buddy unit.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Possibly if enough water is running through it. Maybe 2:1, but again, its depending on your unit and its membrane. I wouldn't expect that from a buddy unit.

Ugh that's saddening ! Maybe I'll store some waste water for the flower beds. I mean for me I need 5 gallons a week give or take