• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Surf Fishing

mrehfeld

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I am a VS man myself but have a whole of reels and rod makes and models myself. its a lot like reef keeping in that there is always a need for each situation. Best of luck with the season

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
I am a VS man myself but have a whole of reels and rod makes and models myself. its a lot like reef keeping in that there is always a need for each situation. Best of luck with the season
I have both VS and zeebass, I would pick the VS over the zeebass. Both great reels though. Been wanting to try one of the bail less penn torques for a while now. Good luck this year!

I started the surf fishing 2 years ago off sandy hook beach. I went with my son and he hooked a dog fish. He was very excited but since then we didn't get anything else. He is doubtful and my ears are painful.
Can some of you get me some clues?

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
I started the surf fishing 2 years ago off sandy hook beach. I went with my son and he hooked a dog fish. He was very excited but since then we didn't get anything else. He is doubtful and my ears are painful.
Can some of you get me some clues?
As much as I would like to say I'm a great fisherman, sadly I'm not lol. I haven't fished up that way in a long time. Some tips would be to cast as far as you are comfortable (trying to throw it as far as humanly possible usually only flings the bait off the hook), bait presentation is important as well as type of bait for the right time of year and where you are fishing. I also think holding your rod is far better than letting it sit in the rod holder the whole time, stripers tend to "play" with there food a lot and holding the rod will let you know if they are messing with the bait. At the end of the day it comes down to putting in the time. I don't catch fish every time I go out, but I do always enjoy myself and like taking in the scenery like tonight...
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
Man. Kev we need to go and fish. Up until I had my second kid I fished hard. 3/4 nights a week in season. Ive got a freaking bass tattoo for gods sake. Unfortunately I haven't been in over 2 years. But still have my trusty Lami and way to many plugs... lol. Of course all i really need is a black bomber, a sluggo a tin squid and ava jig. But heck that hobby is as bad as reefing. I sold my VS a while back as i couldnt stand that was collecting dust in the garage as it needed to be fished. Id do still have all my fly gear though. Nothing like hooking up with a 12lb blue demon on a 9wt!!!!!

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Man. Kev we need to go and fish. Up until I had my second kid I fished hard. 3/4 nights a week in season. Ive got a freaking bass tattoo for gods sake. Unfortunately I haven't been in over 2 years. But still have my trusty Lami and way to many plugs... lol. Of course all i really need is a black bomber, a sluggo a tin squid and ava jig. But heck that hobby is as bad as reefing. I sold my VS a while back as i couldnt stand that was collecting dust in the garage as it needed to be fished. Id do still have all my fly gear though. Nothing like hooking up with a 12lb blue demon on a 9wt!!!!!
Definitley Tommy! If you ever venture down south let me know. I love fishing plugs too. I also have way too many...lol