• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tabling Acro Question

I am thinking of buying on of these but have some questions because I would like to place this about half way down in my tank and have it grow left to right filling in an open space in the middle of my tank. So I ask the experts:

1) can these be place midway on a 30" deep tank w/ 2x 250w HQI MH

2) do they grow length wise or vertical in the tank

Thanks

They dont grow up they grow out. So they get flat and wider, Not like alot of acros that grow up towards light.

Where have you seen an acro colony. I cant find any?

Thanks for the ans Take a look at the divers den...but stay away from the one I want!!! JK I am not quite ready yet.

tabling acro will just spread widely. I have 4 tabling acro on my tank 2 are colonies now and 1 mistake I did was putting it on my overflow. In less than a yr it grew so now I lost some space thats underneath it :(...
Also if you are getting a wild colony or mari cultured make sure you got the right parameters as those pieces especially wild colonies tends to die RTN quick.15" will be fine but some table needs more light than others..

Some table pics
022.jpg

003-3.jpg

I think you're OK with 15" deep, but keep in mind that tabling acros like the efflos are sometimes just under inches of water in the wild. I used to have mine placed about midway too, but ever since I moved it about 6 inches from the waters' surface, total of 14 inches away from my 250 watt halide, it grew faster and colored up nicer.

Here's one of the colonies:

i.jpg

21.jpg

I really love the look but now I am concerned about space especially when it starts to spread out. If I put it on top I may not be able to place anything under it....I hate this hobby it drives you nuts!!!!! :mad:

OK So I picked it up and it is in my tank about 6" from top. looks great so far. Will keep you posted if you are all interested.

D

How hard ARE these tables to keep? I had one that RTN's on me the 2nd I put it into the tank and I tried to save it to no avail.

They are relatively easy to keep, but stability and water flow is Key. I was able to revive one from a pet store which was 95% dead and has now rebounded back completely. They like very high and turbulent water movement, and excessive light doesn't seem to bother them much, given they are acclimated correctly. They will show recession if detritus is allowed to accumulate within its tabling structure. The bad thing about them is the fact that they are harder to frag, or even controlling the spread of RTN once started due to its structure.

Well so far so good not great PE but the color is great however it has only been in the tank 3 days. We shall see!?!?!?

I wouldn't be too worried. I've had regular acros that didn't have PE after the first few days. As long as it's not browning out / RTN'ing or anything like that, it should be fine.

dfm34 said:
If I had red bugs wouldn't effect my other Acro's too? My Yellow Acro is doing fine?

yes some will tolerate depending on how much RB is living on that acro .

Im not saying you do Im just throwing off some more possiblility :). I saw your post in RC and yes that is one of my questions too.. Is that a wild colony or frags that came from a fellow reefer?. Also what is your paramaters?.. Polyp extension is one sign that your Acros are happy. hope that by this time polyp should out :)