• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

The first day of my NEW life

Even though this is somewhat of a private matter, I feel it will only help me if I announce it to the world.

Today is the first day of my new life because today I stopped smoking! It may not be a big deal to some, but considering that cigarettes were a big part of my life for the past 20 years, I take great pride in admitting that enough is enough, and I am DONE with them.

I had quite a health scare the week before last, when I had to run 1/2 mile to catch a ferry to NY City, and found myself unable to breathe, unable to catch my breath. It suddenly became clear what I had to do, what was long overdue. So I've been on "Chantix" since last Monday, and my original "quit" day would have been Tuesday. But I decided to be done when I run out of smokes - and that was today.

Going through the withdrawal will be very hard, but I can and will do it. It will only be as hard as I allow it to be. I'm wearing sweats, 'cause each and every time I get the "urge", I walk around the block, to remind myself that my lungs have TONS of repairing to do.

I want to live - so I'm starting my new life today. :)

End of rant - thank you for listening.

---
Wendy

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
JerseyWendy said:
I want to live - so I'm starting my new life today. :)

Wendy, I'm SOOOOO happy for you... for your children and for the Grandchildren that will some day be yours to hold! Keep up the good work. I love the theory behind your walks. Way to go!

Thank you so much, Phyl & Greg, I need all the support I can get. :-[ Yes, Greg, no kidding. Those who never smoked - it IS a drug and I AM having withdrawals. And I refuse to gain weight, actually I probably should have mentioned that I will shed 30 lbs. in addition to quitting the nicotine. I believe I can do it. No - I WILL DO IT! It will be as hard as I make it. Mind over body. :) I am determined. And I AM stubborn. :-X So instead of packing food into my mouth whenever I get the "jitters", I am walking around the block. I've walked at least 3 miles already today, and my legs are sore.....but I'll continue. Throughout the night if I have to.

---
Wendy

Way to go Wendy...I know what you're going through having stopped cold turkey 23 years ago. I wish you all the luck in the world...Approach this with the same focus you show with your marvelous Reef and I know you'll succeed...

Regards,
Dom

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Any you thought having babies was hard.

I did it so you can do it too.
Good Luck

Thanks a million, Dom and Rich.

Since I had both my boys naturally (no drugs), I have to say that yes, it was hard - kind of. And it's a great comparison actually, because I got through the birthing pain by telling myself all that pain would result in something "great". It did. I have 2 healthy boys. :) "This" pain (withdrawal), will result in something hopefully even greater (healthier lungs, longer life, experiencing grandchildren - God willing).

---
Wendy

Wendy, congradulations on your decision to quite. It's a big step that i know can only make life better. Now lets see all the money spent on cigaretes can go to reef stuff ;D

BobCReef said:
Now lets see all the money spent on cigaretes can go to reef stuff ;D

lol - or she could save it to help pay for whatever new taxes our governor has in store for all of us. :p

congratulations! Actually if I'm not mistaken you'll now be able to check off "non-smoker" on all those insurance forms and I'd assume your premiums may even be lower!

Wendy,

It's actually good to publicize life goals. Besides getting support from friends and family, it actually propels you to do better because you don't want to fail infront of people who know what you're trying to accomplish.

I think you can do it. Good luck and congratulations.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Congrats Wendy and good luck. Wish I could be there stoping with you.

Wow - you guys are AWESOME! Thank you so much. It means a lot to me. :)

I'm not gonna lie, the first night was rough, but I survived it without losing too much sleep.

MikeM, I firmly believe a person has to be mentally ready to quit or it won't happen. A million folks telling you how bad it is won't do any good - I should know.

Ok, one day down......the rest of my life to go. :D

---
Wendy

Chantex is apparently a really good drug for accomplishing quittin. i havent tryed it yet but my grandfather did and he had the same thing goin like you with the "after these packs are gone im done" idea. he ended up quittin 3/4 of the way through his carton and threw the rest of them away. my father is gonna try it once he has the money to get it cause he has no insurance and we are goin through a rough time right now so he wants the least amount of stress on his mind.. but good luck and keep with it i hope you stay strong and overcome these nasty things cause it gives proof of it actually being possible to stop..well take care..kevin

Two years ago in February i quit smoking cigarettes with my girfriend.

You will def feel soooooooo much better. I play tennis now, run, walk, and excersie and i still gained 30 pounds.

GOOD LUCK, Get it done, you will be soo happy and think about all those 6 dollar frags you can buy now that you dont smoke.

Goodluck. I quit using chantix 4 months ago. I slipped and went back on it. Make sure you finish your 6 months dose. Don't be a hero like I did and stop taking them after 3 weeks :p

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Good work! I quit a few years back, too, but have dabbled occasionally.

Knowing that my wife will kick me in the nuts if she ever catches me smoking really helps keep the 'demon at bay'. :)

momof6kids

NJRC Member
Good luck Wendy, trying to quit. Keep thinking about how much extra time and money you will have. Not to mention how much healthier you will be. What a great idea to walk whenever you get the urge. ;D

I have seen how addictive it can be by looking at my 17 year old nephew who when he doesn't have money to buy his own has picked up used cigarette butts off of the ground to get the last puffs out. How disgusting and dangerous is that.

Thank you all again and again. :) Yesterday was a true test because the day started off stressful, and then got progressively worse. There were many times I thought I was going to jump through my skin, but I didn't give in. Heck, I don't have any cigarettes anyway, lol.

Last night was worse than the night before. I kept waking up, sweating, then freezing - and I'm not in menopause.

After I put my son on the bus I'll try and take a nap so I won't be so grouchy all day. Thanks again for the heads up, everyone. :)

---
Wendy

Subliminal

NJRC Member
The best advice I was given was if the urges come really bad, to tell yourself to wait 5 minutes and see if you still want one. Most times, you'll think better of it by then. Spend a little time thinking about your health, your family, and those commercials where the guy smokes through a hole in his throat. Then revisit the cravings.

:)

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You're doing great Wendy. Unfortunately my Sister in Law didn't get the urge to quit until there was a spot on her lung. Luckily it wasn't (yet) cancerous... but she did manage to quit after that. YOU CAN DO THIS! ;D