• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tristian's 160GaL Peninsula Build

Update!!

So here's the latest update.

1. My tank is 100% finished. It's being delivered Saturday the 23rd. By then I need to have the dining room renovations completed.

2. The first couple that saw my tank bought it right on the spot. So my old tank is sold already. The problem is that they bought everything. Sump plumbing and all the nick nacks instead of my reactors. So now I have no sump. Spotter to the rescue with a 60
gallon deep blue with sump like dimensions!!! Score!!

3. My stand builder has done an awesome job despite numerous issues with a sick family member. My prayers go out to him and I'd like to thank him for doing such an awesome job.

4. My sand has been seemingly delayed almost for a month and a half. This may not work for me. I might need to cancel my order and go with a local vendor or different/reuse my old sand. Going to Canada the end of April and then Georgia for a week in may. I cannot wait until the middle of may to build my tank. That's just not going to happen.

5. My frag tank is ordered.

6. I'm nervous. Real nervous about moving the tank. Sure everything is elevator but I'm worried none the less. I fee as if I'm going to have to pull every favour I have to secure some help.

Pics

photo 4.JPG by Asonitez, on Flickr

photo 5.JPG by Asonitez, on Flickr

Stand is looking great!. Let me know when you are planning to move everything i can try to head up your way to give you a hand.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Stand is looking great!. Let me know when you are planning to move everything i can try to head up your way to give you a hand.

Austyn, he said the 23rd when I last txt'd him. I am trying to see if I am free that day to give him a hand with the move.

Thanks for the frags and glad the 65g will work out for you! I love that ATI light on your tank.....the battle to get rid of my light and go all t5's is growing in my mind. Cant wait to see the new tank.

Bad news good news

First he bad news. Instead of being delivered early in the morning like I hoped the tank will be in Home Depots parking lot in bridgewater at 4:30. I'm not sure how this impacts my help.

Then while painting the inside of my tank stand what I thought was a full can of Kilz ended up being 1/4th of a can. Sigh... This build is so frustrating.

secondly because work has kept me so freaking busy especially late into the evenings I have not had a chance to stain and poly my tank. Ill have to just stain the entire thing tonight let it dry by 4:30 tomorrow and tank my time polycoating it after.

Now the good. My frag stand is almost done and it looks fantastic. 2 bags of sand came in a 1 bag is missing. I might end up ordering 2 more bags from PA but looks like a fat chance of that happening.

Bad News. No Tank

Ok. I should be angry. But I don't quite know what I'm feeling right now. It's a combination of anger and understanding. As a business owner i can understand what happened. As a consumer I'm pretty pissed.

#1 - The delivery truck for glass cages was about 20 minutes late. This was fine as it gave me and Gonzapa some time to go into the store and grab some necessities. Boxes for the bottom of the tank and a moving blanket for the tank itself.

#2 - After waiting for another 15 minutes we found out that the truck had arrived and was BEHIND HOMEDEPOT and we drove around and lo and behold there they were.

#3 - Upon arriving at the scene we found out that the lift gate on the truck was not working. This meant that we either had to lift tanks over the lift gate or wait for them to go and find a repair shop to fix the lift gate. This was not going to happen.

#4 - After maneuvering the truck around a little it was discovered that the lift gate started working and we were in business. I was the second to last tank to come out of the truck.

#5 - They asked us for some help removing my tank from the truck and after moving it to the front of the truck Gonzapa and I commented on how SMALL it looked for a 4 foot tank.

#6 - Out comes the measuring tape and it was discovered moments after it was loaded onto my truck that GUESSWHAT? It was the wrong dimensions. It was correctly 25" Tall. It was Correctly 30" Wide. BUT... THAT SOB WAS ONLY 40" LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was not a 4 FOOT TANK!

The silicon work and overflow work were flawless. The glass was cut rounded and looked beautiful. The actual thing looked like it was built by a better known manufacturer. The process itself was very easy and barring the lift gate issue that resolved itself there was nothing wrong with the customer service. Immediately after calling the customer service number after rejecting delivery she told us a new tank would be built Monday and cured by the time it arrives. In order to make it right she said I would be able to choose from a few more options that will make the sting of not getting my tank better. She mentioned

Starphire Upgrade
A Monetary Discount
Another Tank (Smaller)

and a few other options including home delivery. I'll be speaking to her Monday to go over the details.

I am happy for a few reasons.

This gives me more time to finish my tank stand and Frag Tank. It also gives me time to finish my SUMP which will be ready April 6th. This gives me time to swap out my reactors with ReefOctopus ones and this also gives me time to finish Staining my tank stand and canopy.

I will also have some time to finish building a few other things in the apartment that I need to fix up before a special occasion. I will get a chance to also Break down my tank over time and even Quarantine my fish while I wait for a new tank to be built. This is time to build my Manifold and get my Plumbing put in place.

All things happen for a reason. Even if Gonzapa and I took delivery today we did not have enough manpower to actually move the tank into the house from my truck. This would have been unfortunate no matter what. In the mean time I will keep the thread active with more pictures of the stand and such.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
dude, I just got home from work, let me know if you still need help when the correct tank arrives. should definitely be free the following next couple of weeks.

Same here. You should come by and borrow my suction cups at least, they'll make it way easier b

Jpelz will you be at the meeting this month? If possible I would like to pick them up from you at that time. Hopefully the new projected date for my tank will not be too far along.

If you need help you call me next time none of this texting nonsense brah!

BTW check out those new jp40 powerheads they look tight. Also I demand to know what reactors you'll be running for gfo and carbon.

#loveyalongtime5dollar