• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tristian's 160GaL Peninsula Build

So my frustration with waiting for sand from premium aquatics boiled over to the point that I got poetic. The guys following the premium group buy thread got a kick out of it. Apparently so did our contact at premium. so here it is.

Its ok....................i might just go to sandy hook and pick up some sand. Sure my fish might develop a couple more eyes and my corals might probably die....but I'll have sand! I don't blame you supra... one day I'll have sand. Just not.. this day.. or lifetime... maybe my son will carry on the legacy and finish the tank...

Waiting for Sand.

Once upon a afternoon Dreary
I tried to order Tropic Eden Sand Clearly
Premium Aquatics did not have any on hand
This unfortunately I could not stand

I've waited long with anxious breath
Would this Sand take it's toll on my health?
I got my tank and finished my stand
but still I did not have my sand.
Sand I say where are you my friend
Will I have you in the end?

This wait I fear I must suspend.
It just may have cost me all my friends.
All I talk of is this Sand.
Something else must take the upper hand.

Many changes are coming my way.
My school of thought might just fade away.
Before I move to my new bund?
Should I just ask for a sandy Refund?

No I say I will wait for my sand to send.
I will wait and count the days on end.
Until finally I meet my sandy friend.

If it does not come before the end of Summer.. what a bummer.
I just hope it comes before Autumn...
At which point I might just freaking go bare-bottom.

The End.

hey what up boss how tank going good i would love to see some pics my family probs are starting to calm down and want to get back into the swing of things,and was looking forward to see where you are at 18fisher also i need some pics for album let me know 18fisher ray

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
So my frustration with waiting for sand from premium aquatics boiled over to the point that I got poetic. The guys following the premium group buy thread got a kick out of it. Apparently so did our contact at premium. so here it is.

Its ok....................i might just go to sandy hook and pick up some sand. Sure my fish might develop a couple more eyes and my corals might probably die....but I'll have sand! I don't blame you supra... one day I'll have sand. Just not.. this day.. or lifetime... maybe my son will carry on the legacy and finish the tank...

Waiting for Sand.

Once upon a afternoon Dreary
I tried to order Tropic Eden Sand Clearly
Premium Aquatics did not have any on hand
This unfortunately I could not stand

I've waited long with anxious breath
Would this Sand take it's toll on my health?
I got my tank and finished my stand
but still I did not have my sand.
Sand I say where are you my friend
Will I have you in the end?

This wait I fear I must suspend.
It just may have cost me all my friends.
All I talk of is this Sand.
Something else must take the upper hand.

Many changes are coming my way.
My school of thought might just fade away.
Before I move to my new bund?
Should I just ask for a sandy Refund?

No I say I will wait for my sand to send.
I will wait and count the days on end.
Until finally I meet my sandy friend.

If it does not come before the end of Summer.. what a bummer.
I just hope it comes before Autumn...
At which point I might just freaking go bare-bottom.

The End.
I still have your back ordered bag of sand in my garage by the way.

The tanks up!!!! Soon as my reactors arrive it will be time to visit bob and relieve him of my corals and fish!

qu4a3atu.jpg

3yneqy2e.jpg

e4aqujum.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya man that's your ball of weed in there. It looks good ! Man this tropic Eden sand is beautiful. I'm glad I didn't buckle and go carb sea!

Got finished building the Electrical Cabinet tonight. It was a bit of a pain and unfortunately it won't 100% Match the wood that the tank is made with (I was looking for 1/2" Sanded Oak Ply and HD didn't have that for some reason.) I went with Pine instead but I think once I stain it the same color at the same time they should blend and look ok next to each other. The next few nights I'm going to spend getting my APEX moved into the cabinet. I usually like APEX setup but I HATE doing all of the wiring!

I made no progress with the frag tank stand. I am still missing a small sump, sand and a BRS dual reactor system. I think I will end up having to just purchase a few cheap reactors online.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
No problem. As you could see, there was still plenty left even after I cut you some.

As for the stain, I've been told that the pine absorbs stain a lot more than oak, so if you are staining some of each, you might want to put an extra coat on the pine wood to make up for the extra absorption.

I'm doing them both at the same time. So I'll be able to see how much it's soaking up. I wipe on the stain making the process so easy and simple. Easier than painting and more durable.

I'm doing them both at the same time. So I'll be able to see how much it's soaking up. I wipe on the stain making the process so easy and simple. Easier than painting and more durable.

I would take some scrap pieces and test it before hand that way you know how the wood will react with the stain. Better to get a feel for it on scrap wood (or even the back or inside of the cabinet) before hand. For instance you might let the oak set with the stain on it longer as opposed to wiping the stain off of the pine almost immediately. Obviously the grain of the wood won't match but you can get real close with the shade of stain :)

Hehe thanks for the tips and I think your right I might just test it out first. I'm soooo excited about my tank. I cut no corners this time around and it definately shows. This setup had been one of the smoothest I've ever done.

It does not look like I'll even have much of a cycle and I'm excited to start putting my corals and fish back in.

I used 2 bottles of bio spira and also added a lot of life via the refugium. One of the best things I did even though I'm waiting on my reactors is place a large amount of carbon in a bag right after the refugium.

This removed the brown organics out of the water within a day or two. Completely removed the fishy smell as well.

I've been debating if to invest in some miracle mud. The jury is still out in that. I'm hoping the next group buy will enable me to order biopellets and maybe some of the mud. Currently I'm rocking out with live rock rubble and tropic Eden+oolite live sand.

Yay!

So My reactors are finally online and I must say they are EXCELLENT. The price shipped for each one was more than reasonable and they are much better quality than other reactors I used to use. My Sump area and the maggie mufflers are working great as well keeping things nice and quiet. I need to bring my BioPellet Reactor online.

So far I have retrieved all my fish from Bob. They are doing GREAT. Starting today I will do a pre-cautionary Quinie Sulfate Dose along with some Prazi-Pro in the main display tank and run the tank dark for 5 Days. I have no corals in the display tank just rock and sand and fish. I noticed 1 white speck on a Hippo tang that I recently adopted and I'm not taking chances. Quinine Sulfate has the great benefit of being absorbed but not binding to live rock and sand and it rapidly degrades once light is added. It kills the Ich at ALL stages and I can gurantee that a 5 day treatment will decimate the bug and any surviving bug/trophont. So Sunday I will put my sump back online. In the mean time I currently have 50% of the displays volume of water made up for a few massive water changes after the treatment.

I am contemplating purchasing and adding my future fish to the aquarium and treating all of them at once basically eliminating the need to do any future qurantine for fish purchases as I would be already stocked. I planned to purchase a 20 Gal breeder from petco and use that as my qurantine tank for future purchases.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Tristian, what would be the downside of using that treatment. Im assuming its risky since the solution hasnt gone commercial yet?