• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tunze vs. Vortech

I'm running Tunze's but as I see more and more systems, I see more people use the Vortech. Is there a reason why? Just wondering for future builds and exploring more options. Anyone with experience with both, please weigh in.

Heres my take on it.

I had a vortech and it was only one point source for flow. It created great waves but didnt provide flow. Also noisy and needs to adjusted periodically.
In a 30 gallon tank it enough movement but it didnt create enough flow.

I have koralias now and am changing over to Tunze nano streams. From what i have seen with the new Tunze controller, you can control your pumps and a wavebox. I think it will blow Vortech out of the water literally. Its got a whole host of new features including storm mode.

(If you have a solaris fixture you could program your solaris lights to simulate a storm and your tunze controller will simulate the heavey flow a storm provides)
COOOOOOLNEESSSSS!!!!!!

btw i cant afford a solaris

Here is my reasoning with my new setup for besides the cons of the vortech

Vortechs = 350 x 2 = 700
Tunze - 200 x 2 nano stream controllable pumps + controller 170(controller comes with photocell and a controllable LED moonlight)= 570

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have both. The Tunzes are in the tank, the Vortech is in a box under the cabinet collecting dust. Personally, I didn't like the vortech. It's inability to direct flow was my biggest problem with it. That and the fact that it wasn't controllable. I know they've changed than with the recent iteration but I have the first generation. With 2 Tunze's and a multicontroller I get a nice 3/4" wave in the tank.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I switched from Vortech to Tunze. I didn't like the flow with the Vortech.

JohnS_323 said:
I have both. The Tunzes are in the tank, the Vortech is in a box under the cabinet collecting dust. Personally, I didn't like the vortech. It's inability to direct flow was my biggest problem with it. That and the fact that it wasn't controllable. I know they've changed than with the recent iteration but I have the first generation. With 2 Tunze's and a multicontroller I get a nice 3/4" wave in the tank.

John,

Not quite fair there. I was referring to the controllable ones in case I wasn't clear.

Either way controllable or not, he doesn't like um or he would have upgraded.

Calaxa have you ever owned a vortech and which tunze do u currently run. Also what pumps have you had experience with.

Me,

You name it i have tried it and Ive had reefs on and off since high school.

ReeferNets said:
Either way controllable or not, he doesn't like um or he would have upgraded.

Calaxa have you ever owned a vortech and which tunze do u currently run. Also what pumps have you had experience with.

Me,

You name it i have tried it and Ive had reefs on and off since high school.

No experience with Vortech. That's why I am asking. Seeing more of them than Tunzes so was wondering why (price?). I have the 7094 controller and just swapped it with a 7095. Not sure why I did. All it did was add a moonlight. I pre-ordered a 7096. Again, not sure why since it's just smaller and is USB configurable. I run 7200/2 pumps and preordered the 5100 stream. I would add a wavebox but am trying to find a used one. New is just too expensive for my tastes.

As for other powerheads, Tunze is the only controllable one I have experience with. The other ones are your basic ones (ie Koralia, Maxijet, and one terrible Rio). Just seeing what else is out there.

I almost bought the 7095 mutli controlle but since the 7096 has alot more options and like the vortech with the option of running a wavebox.

The reason why i am would only run a tunze system is because of the wave box. It does exactly what it states - makes a wave.

On a reef in the ocean water is crashing into from all sides constantly moving.
Thats the directional flow that you replicate with you pumps. The water is constantly moving also past the reef.

Basically theres all kinds of different zones on a reef where the flow is different a wavebox or something simliar and pumps controlled together are the closest youll get replicating true flow in the ocean. Theres a cool video on youtube of the nano wave box in motion its unreally to say the least.

I'm pretty sure the 7095 and even the 7094 can run the same wavebox. If I get one, I'll test it out on each of the controllers.

So basically you're telling me stick with what I got?

7094 and 7095 does not run waveboxes, thats why the new 7096 is cheaper, it doesnt have to programed. You do it your self.

When you purchase a new wave box, you dont need the controller with the 7096 so people who do DYI units buy um.

ReeferNets said:
When you purchase a new wave box, you dont need the controller with the 7096 so people who do DYI units buy um.

Can you explain this more? I'm just trying to understand better.

The 7096 controls everything.it You don't need the controller that comes with it.

Very cool settings. Its got storm mode. Its pretty cool.

I'm hooked

7094 and 7095 do run the wavebox 6212. Says so in my manual and on their webpage. I don't think you have that info correct.

Quote from their site:

Multicontroller 7095 can control up to eight Turbelle®, and contains an LED moonlight with a 29-day moon phase. A wavebox 6212 and the pumps mentioned above can also be controlled by the Multicontroller.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The 7095 does a great wave. No wave box required. I can give you the settings for it if you want. I set mine up in two seconds and was blown away by the wave I got from one Tunze on either end of the tank.

I like Tunze's better, never liked the fact that u could not turn the vortech, the only thing that i dont like about the tunze is how big they are IMO nothing beats how they controll the flow of water.
JM2c

wow did i just post :)

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
*THUD*

Yeay! Keep 'em coming, Steve! Good to see you again. And I agree whole heartedly.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
New had Tunzes yet. One thing I do like about the Vertex is the battery backup. Has anyone else used the Hydor 8's they nice IMO 3000 gph.

Calaxa,
Sorry i just read your response i meant the 7095 will not control a nano wavebox.

I cant wait to pick up the nano wavebox and check it out.