• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Twisteds 75 reeftank

JRWOHLER said:
I don't know if you have been to AO but he always has some great fish. If you need one of the new Koralia pumps he has a great special on them plus another 25% of livestock....just need to pay your membership fees online so he can look you up. ;D
i gotta tread lightly here cuz i dont want to offend but i went to AO this weekend and was really disappointed in what i saw...the place was not what i expected

Fair enough.

I have considered using diamond netting also....I have open top so like you have stayed away from wrasses though I got a four line. He is such a fat pig now though I don't think jumping would work for him anymore....from what I understood they tend to bury themselves...which is one of the reasons I picked him.

i think im gonna force myself to make one today...if i go pick up a jumper and bring it home, ill have no choice but to stand over my tank and make one ;D

twisted said:
JRWOHLER said:
I don't know if you have been to AO but he always has some great fish. If you need one of the new Koralia pumps he has a great special on them plus another 25% of livestock....just need to pay your membership fees online so he can look you up. ;D
i gotta tread lightly here cuz i dont want to offend but i went to AO this weekend and was really disappointed in what i saw...the place was not what i expected
ok, just ignore my disappointment. i went to the wrong AO :-[...My apologies Aquatic Obsessions....ill get to the right one this time ;D

i should add, the one that i went too is owned by a real nice guy. he was real helpful and did apologize for the lack of stock and tanks that had gotten away from him a bit. nothing against the place and ill most likely return to see the tanks cleaned up and hopefully find a nice frag

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I think you went to Aqua Oceans in Toms River, which is a small LFS. He is a great guy and if you check his calender which he updates when he gets shipments in, he has great prices. I got my picasso clowns from him and they were an awesome price. The AO we generally talk about is Aquatic Obsessions which is further north (off of 129 on the parkway). If you have free time this weekend check it out, really nice fish and prices. He is also having specials on the new koralia pumps and if you buy one you get 25% off of livestock.

mnat said:
I think you went to Aqua Oceans in Toms River, which is a small LFS. He is a great guy and if you check his calender which he updates when he gets shipments in, he has great prices. I got my picasso clowns from him and they were an awesome price. The AO we generally talk about is Aquatic Obsessions which is further north (off of 129 on the parkway). If you have free time this weekend check it out, really nice fish and prices. He is also having specials on the new koralia pumps and if you buy one you get 25% off of livestock.
im gonna try to get up there today. i should be leaving in about an hour. the first 2 stops are trop and reef to reptiles. depending on how broke my boss and i are after that we'll ride up to AO and OG2...
i hope noone took what i said about Aqua wrong. i meant no harm to his business. he is pretty cool. we talked a bit and i learned a few things from him. i was just really surprised because i thought that was the AO everyone raved about...ive seen pics that came from AO and when my wife and i pulled up ???.....i was just expecting something entirely different..lol....now that i got the names right, i feel better...Aqua did have a cool little zoa frag i should have gotten, but i (shame on me) dont qt, so i gotta choose from the cleanest tanks possible since im already playing with fire. i do however do a peroxide then iodine dip before they go into the tank.

i had a pretty successful trip today. i didnt get further than the trop and r2r though. greg at reef to reptiles was great! i really like the store he has. i picked up my first acan and blasto from him. very nice frags! i also picked up a blue acro and a green milli from the trop and a green clown goby for my wifes tank. thanks mnat for the lead to gregs place. ill most definitly return. ill post some picks tommorrow if i can get good shots. next trip i plan to start out around AO and work south.

well, my wife had to check out r2r so we headed back up there yesterday. we ended up coming home with a small colony of what i believe are greenbay packer zoas from r2r and a couple anthias for my tank and then a bicolor blenny for the mrs.
heres a few from the day before

nh3.jpg

nh2.jpg

nh1.jpg

nh.jpg

That is funny I bought the same zoas from him pretty cool.
Orange center dark green and then lighter green rim?
Sounds like your wife is into the tank that is cool.

nn-1.jpg

nn1.jpg

sounds like the same ones. were you in there yesterday? someone bought another frag of them while we were there. it was pretty busy in there and when my wife and i left we wondered if any of the customers were ppl from here

JRWOHLER said:
That is funny I bought the same zoas from him pretty cool.
Orange center dark green and then lighter green rim?
Sounds like your wife is into the tank that is cool.
my wife is so into it she had to have her own tank. the only problem is, it seems like all the fish she wants for hers are not for nanos. we'll find her a few cool ones eventually

i should have my new light by the end of the week. it will be 2 15k x250 mh with 4 t5's. what would the best way to change over from the t5's im using? i really cant move too many pieces since they are glued. is it better to start the light out high or just shorten the light cycle. i can move my acan and brain to the bottom but everything else is stuck tight

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
You will probably need to do some light acclimation. You can do it two ways, run the T5s most of the day and start the MH for an hour or so and work it up. The other way is so cover your tank with screen or another material (several layers) and then remove a layer at a time. Since your fixture has the T5s which you can run most of the day, I think the time acclimation will be easier for you.

cool, thanks! ill do it that way. it will also give me a chance to work out the bugs with the heat. im pretty stoked about the new fixture. i think it will really help my acros too. ive been running stock bulbs since i started so my tank should really look good with better lighting

my new pagoda courtesy of aquarium center. this is the first time my wife and i have been there that we got great service and info. not sure if the guy was new but it was a pleasure visiting the store
pag1.jpg

twisted said:
UggHH! i got glass nems! SOB! guess its time to get some peppermints. anyone have any advice?

if possible remove the LR they are on an give it a little squirt of lemon juice.

i've also just covered them with a small batch of epoxy.

Supposedly joes juice or some kalk injected into them does the trick.

good luck!