• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Upgrading 75 Gallon to 200 Gallon... good idea or bad?

Hi everyone... I'm thinking of upgrading my 75 Gallon to a 200 gallon reef tank. Do you think this is a good idea or a total disaster waiting to happen. I've been in the hobby for about 3 years, so not a pro, but getting there. I have learned alot from everyone on here and have gone through some initial crashes as I was learning the hobby... now that my tank is doing good and my fish and coral are thriving and the fish are getting big.. I wanted to upgrade.

Now I got the support of my better half to get a new tank... I was looking at the 120 gallon deep tank (48 x 24 x 24), but then we saw the 200 gallon (48 x 36 x 27) by marineland and fell in love with it.

Also, how easy would it be to transfer everything from the 75 to 200 gallon and how long would should it all take? I know it's not going to happen overnite or a week... so I'm figuring minimum of 2 weeks. However, my dilema is this.. I want the 200 gallon to go in the same spot as the 75... and I can't just move the 75 without emptying it out, unless someone has done it successfully in the past??? And I can't just empty the 75 without having the new tank up and running... so what would you all recommend as a best course of action.

I know I'm asking lot of questions, but I'm sure I'll have more to come. ;)

Any feedback positive/negative will be appreciated.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
The 200 DD is an awesome tank. But that width is going to be a PITA to put lights over (expensive) and a lot of fixtures weather its leds or T5s.

As for the move... get yourself a stock tank and just breakdown the current tank into it and then start setting up your 200.. I just did the same thing when i went from a 120 to 180.

Good Luck

Hi everyone... I'm thinking of upgrading my 75 Gallon to a 200 gallon reef tank. Do you think this is a good idea or a total disaster waiting to happen. I've been in the hobby for about 3 years, so not a pro, but getting there. I have learned alot from everyone on here and have gone through some initial crashes as I was learning the hobby... now that my tank is doing good and my fish and coral are thriving and the fish are getting big.. I wanted to upgrade.

Now I got the support of my better half to get a new tank... I was looking at the 120 gallon deep tank (48 x 24 x 24), but then we saw the 200 gallon (48 x 36 x 27) by marineland and fell in love with it.

Also, how easy would it be to transfer everything from the 75 to 200 gallon and how long would should it all take? I know it's not going to happen overnite or a week... so I'm figuring minimum of 2 weeks. However, my dilema is this.. I want the 200 gallon to go in the same spot as the 75... and I can't just move the 75 without emptying it out, unless someone has done it successfully in the past??? And I can't just empty the 75 without having the new tank up and running... so what would you all recommend as a best course of action.

I know I'm asking lot of questions, but I'm sure I'll have more to come. ;)

Any feedback positive/negative will be appreciated.

You need a holding tank for the animals while the new tank is being setup. You could also use a holding tank for all the rodi water you will need to make up the difference in water ( I am assuming you would use at least some of the clean water out of the 75g ). I saw a guy giving away a couple of Rubbermaid 100g tubs on here and you would have to pick up in Philly but that would be an option. 40 5g buckets would also be an option (joking)

Cycling new live rock is an issue too if you are adding LR to make up the difference between the 75and 200. Not really and issue if it is just clean base rock but if it needs to be cured you would need a place to do that as well.

And then there is the equipment. You would want all that in hand for an easy and quick transition. I imagine new lights are in order, more powerful pumps and skimmer et al.

Sounds awesome. I wish the misses would clear me for that upgrade :) anyway that is a start of what you are looking at and I am sure I missed a bunch (like the 4 guys that will help you move that beast)

You need a holding tank for the animals while the new tank is being setup. You could also use a holding tank for all the rodi water you will need to make up the difference in water ( I am assuming you would use at least some of the clean water out of the 75g ). I saw a guy giving away a couple of Rubbermaid 100g tubs on here and you would have to pick up in Philly but that would be an option. 40 5g buckets would also be an option (joking)

Cycling new live rock is an issue too if you are adding LR to make up the difference between the 75and 200. Not really and issue if it is just clean base rock but if it needs to be cured you would need a place to do that as well.

And then there is the equipment. You would want all that in hand for an easy and quick transition. I imagine new lights are in order, more powerful pumps and skimmer et al.

Sounds awesome. I wish the misses would clear me for that upgrade :) anyway that is a start of what you are looking at and I am sure I missed a bunch (like the 4 guys that will help you move that beast)

Yep already evaluating my lights, bigger skimmer, bigger pump, bigger sump and etc. As far as moving the beast... I've talked to the store and they said they can come set it up for $100 more.. I would take them up on that. :) I don't plan on moving that beast on my own. lol

Oh and after thinking about it if you just had one or 2 tubs that could hold the water of the old tank you could drain it enough so it is light enough to move, carefully move it the 6 to 8 feet you would need and fill it right back up and start it up. Then you have as much time as you want to move the new tank in, buy and install the equipment, cycle the new rock in the new tank and then transfer the animals from the old tank

If you can swing it, I say go for it! I just jumped from a 120 to a 315 gallon tank (72L x 36W x 28D) and dont regret it. Just make that you think through the cost and added matainance.

Do you have any space available to set up temporary holding tanks? Ad others have mentioned moving your livestock to a temporary location may make it easier. My new tank was in a different location so I ran both for a few weeks until I was ready to finish the move.

If you have the space it wouldnt be a bad idea to set up a brute trash can and cycle your new rock in there. Are you thinking about dry or live rock.

Lighting a 36 inch wide tank can be tricky depending on what corals you plan on keeping and how your rock is placed. Are you thinking about leds, t5s or metal hallides. There are very few led fixtures out there that will have enough spread to cover it front to back. You would probably need two rows of led fixtures or orient them front to back with another fixture or two. Reefbreeders had several different configurations to work with.

If you are thinking about T5s you would probably need a 10 or 12 bulb fixture or two fixtures spread out. I ended up going with two 4 bulb fixtures. That seems to give a pretty good spread but I haven't been able to get my hands on a par meter to confirm that yet. Im planning on adding leds to this setup in a few months.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Are you going under stand or a fish room? In sump or external? There is some great equipment out there depending on which way you are going. I went from a 57g to a 205 and am happy with it. The 205 is in the same spot as the 57g so we just had to plan around the move.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
I think you also have to consider the depth, I don't have a tank that deep or wide but I was just talking to Sunny (monoreef) he has a 350 I think 30" high and 36" deep and he runs 10 Fathoms, I run AI Vegas on a 90 and he said Vegas can't handle the depth of his tank.
Good luck I can't wait to see this build come together

Are you going under stand or a fish room? In sump or external? There is some great equipment out there depending on which way you are going. I went from a 57g to a 205 and am happy with it. The 205 is in the same spot as the 57g so we just had to plan around the move.

Depending on if I get the approval from the bride to make holes in the wall behind the tank to run the plumbing down to the basement. Otherwise, and most likely, it will be under the tank setup via a sump/refugium. I am assuming I would need atleast a 40/50 gal sump and go with a in sump setup for skimmer. The main benefit I see of going under sump is that I dont' have to do any extra plumbing and also keep the bride happy. However, on the contrary, I would think it would be easy for me to change water and fill water with a basement setup.. so that I don't have to carry water to the tank. Unless, someone can suggest something simpler. contrary

I think you also have to consider the depth, I don't have a tank that deep or wide but I was just talking to Sunny (monoreef) he has a 350 I think 30" high and 36" deep and he runs 10 Fathoms, I run AI Vegas on a 90 and he said Vegas can't handle the depth of his tank.
Good luck I can't wait to see this build come together

Wouldn't the AI Vegas LEDs be able to reach 30" depth? Or are they only good for upto 24"? I am a bit budget consious with all the upgrades I have to do... I know everyone feels like Aqua Trader's products are crap, but someone posted last week about how pleased they are with Aqua Trader's lights... Has anyone else used Aqua Traders LEDs?

Depending on if I get the approval from the bride to make holes in the wall behind the tank to run the plumbing down to the basement. Otherwise, and most likely, it will be under the tank setup via a sump/refugium. I am assuming I would need atleast a 40/50 gal sump and go with a in sump setup for skimmer. The main benefit I see of going under sump is that I dont' have to do any extra plumbing and also keep the bride happy. However, on the contrary, I would think it would be easy for me to change water and fill water with a basement setup.. so that I don't have to carry water to the tank. Unless, someone can suggest something simpler. contrary

I moved from a 29 to a 120. That was great. Go to the basement, Mikes settup is freeking awsome if you can go that crazy.
I regret having my sump under the tank to this day. If at some point I redo my stand it is going in the half basement with all my water change stuff.

Reasons to go basement.
1) pumps skimmers all make noise...basement is away from the tank. (good arguement for wife)
2) mess factor .. when you have a flood(eventually it will happen) it will be in the basement. (good arguement for wife)
3) you can fit a larger water system in basement vs under the tank. Frag tank etc(shhh don't tell the bride)
4) skimmer scum is in basement out of sight and smell (good arguement for wife)
5) fuge lights are hidden (good arguement for wife)
6) if basement is cooler will help keep tank cool in summer (she won't care)

Reasons to go basement.
1) pumps skimmers all make noise...basement is away from the tank. (good arguement for wife)
2) mess factor .. when you have a flood(eventually it will happen) it will be in the basement. (good arguement for wife)
3) you can fit a larger water system in basement vs under the tank. Frag tank etc(shhh don't tell the bride)
4) skimmer scum is in basement out of sight and smell (good arguement for wife)
5) fuge lights are hidden (good arguement for wife)
6) if basement is cooler will help keep tank cool in summer (she won't care)

hahahha.. LOVE them ALL!!! Will definitely use them. Thanks! :)

If I may....

Wether or not getting into a 200 gallon tank is a good idea or not is truly based on financials.

If you can afford to setup the larger tank and maintain it then go for it but do note that many that jump into larger tanks sell them within a year or two.

Added setup cost
Ligths'
sump
pumps
skimmer
rock
sand

Recurring added cost
RO supplies
Salt due to larger volume water changes
added electricity costs

The real question and most important question is can I afford to setup and provide long term maintanance. If yes, where in my house will I put it and what is the maximum size that wont over take the room or house.....

I should also mention that there are a few of us that can control our impulses and become satisfied with a manageable sized tank.

What they do is grow out their corals and eventually begin trimming them to keep them within appropriate tank sizes.

Fish the same, they buy small fish, grow them out for a few years and then sell them, give away or return to stores for credit when the fish are too large.

If the reason for the upgrade is because your tank seems small to you, sleep on it and then sleep on it some more.