• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Upgrading 75 Gallon to 200 Gallon... good idea or bad?

If you can find a good deal used then get it while you can. Another good reason for a basement room is you can half set it up to keep live rock live etc. Where as 250 lbs of live rock in your living room is not going to make your better half happy. Collect stuff as you go. If you are using a canopy then you can mix and match lights much easier.
Go as big as you can with skimmers and stuff so you don't feel the need to upgrade later that was great advice.

You asked before about using half old water half new....so long as the parameters are the same it won't be a problem.

Be patient and enjoy the buying process and the wheeling dealing. I just bought a 7 year old 180 acrylic tank, Ocean Motion 4 way and a Barracuda pump for 800. All items never used.

You just have to take your time.

Craig s list is your friend...

Thank Mike.. I've reached out to the guy out of philly... lets see what kind of pics he sends me. :) If it all goes through.. anyone want to help me move this? :) lol

I drive a pickup, too bad this guy does not have other stuff for sale that Would make a trip to philly worthwhile

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the heads up... and yes... it does suck that he doesn't have other stuff. I would love to buy the whole setup if anyone had it. :)
I drive a pickup, too bad this guy does not have other stuff for sale that Would make a trip to philly worthwhile

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Wait!
I meant worthwhile for me. I am looking for fish, corals and lights and since I drive a pickup truck could have driven together and brought the tank to NJ.

$1200 is a great deal for the 200DD with stand and canopy. Take it while it lasts. hell he is giving away the skimmer.

I know what u meant. :) Well still waiting on the guy to respond; however, the post does state he wants to sell "locally"... Not sure if that means Philly only????

That probably means that he isnt willing to ship. I dont think the USPS has a priority box big enough for the tank. ;) When I bought the fish it took a little bit to get in touch with him. Im not sure that he is on RC very often. Im sure he will get back to you.

Okay.. so I finally got in touch with someone about purchasing a used 200 DD with equipment. This is all I'm getting (see the pics.. it's missing the dry rocks and canopy)... how much is it really worth? Considering it's used and not new, and hopefully functional. I probably won't be using the lights or might use them until I can get my full spectrum LEDs.

It is a 200 gallon dd star fire front tank with stand and hood and glass tops.
Apex controller with eb4 and eb8. Breakout box. (I will need new ph and orp probes)
Reefflo dart return pump.
2 mp40w correct pumps,
2 400 watt select a watt ballasts with reflectors.
Avast marine media reactor.
2 skimmers which I can choose between swc skimmer and etss 600 (WHICH ONE IS BETTER?) B
Bubble blaster 5000 skimmer pump.
Reeftek calcium reactor with ph controller and co2 tank and media.
Roughly 200 pounds of rock and chemicals and additives.

image.jpgimage[1].jpgimage[2].jpgimage[3].jpgimage[4].jpgimage[5].jpgimage[6].jpgimage[7].jpgimage[8].jpgimage[10].jpgimage[12].jpgimage[13].jpgimage[14].jpgimage[15].jpgimage[18].jpgimage[19].jpgimage[20].jpgimage[21].jpg

I would pay $2,000.00 for all of that easily, if I was goint to use all that stuff but I would not.

I would not use the calcium reactor, vortechs nor halides.

It's your choice, that's a pretty complete system. If you are going to buy it make sure that you are paying 50% of the value, if the tank's front glass is scratched....then pay accoringly.

The Apex may be the older one, the Vortechs are very old, those sell for $150-$200.

Just dont be impressed by the brand names included and aim to pay 50% off the original retail value and make sure everything works.

if you dont think you are going to use it then dont buy it, just aim for what you know you are going to use.
That's my advice.

Halides are meh, I wouldnt use em
Vortechs are fine but older version (doesnt much matter, they are perfectly fine for this tank)
Skimmer is a downdraft which i have personally never liked or had luck with so i would recommend a different one
I dont see a sump or anything
Aquacontroller looks like it is in good shape, no rust on the Energy bars or anything, but get a manufacture dat from the guy if your curious as to how old it is

As far as pump and all of that stuff it depends what your doing, if you are plumbing into the basement and need a pump with more headpressure than someone running an under-tank sump, this pump might not work (im not sure on the ratings of that pump, didnt see a model number or size)
Honestly i would get the tank and stand, vortechs and Aquacontroller and be done with it, if he would sell just those. If not, shoot him an offer for what you would pay for just those, tell ihm you dont want any of the other stuff, and if he throws it all in to get rid of it for a little extra, just sell it off lol.

There is no SUMP... the guy was using a rubbermaid container as his sump???

Halides are meh, I wouldnt use em
Vortechs are fine but older version (doesnt much matter, they are perfectly fine for this tank)
Skimmer is a downdraft which i have personally never liked or had luck with so i would recommend a different one
I dont see a sump or anything
Aquacontroller looks like it is in good shape, no rust on the Energy bars or anything, but get a manufacture dat from the guy if your curious as to how old it is

As far as pump and all of that stuff it depends what your doing, if you are plumbing into the basement and need a pump with more headpressure than someone running an under-tank sump, this pump might not work (im not sure on the ratings of that pump, didnt see a model number or size)
Honestly i would get the tank and stand, vortechs and Aquacontroller and be done with it, if he would sell just those. If not, shoot him an offer for what you would pay for just those, tell ihm you dont want any of the other stuff, and if he throws it all in to get rid of it for a little extra, just sell it off lol.