• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Used Equipment Values and Equipment ID

Hi everyone,
So I made a very bad impulse buy tonight getting a used 54 gallon corner setup. The pictures looked good and I measured it all out to go in a specific spot in the room. Measurements all checked out. When I got there the tank just seemed so so much smaller than I had imagined it. It was going to be something I was going to transfer/upgrade my current 29 gallon set up to because of a handful of size placement issues in the room and the current stand it's on. So between it being so much smaller than I had figured, learning that it didn't really mean that I could get any 'next level' fish (I'd been hoping it might mean I could get a yellow tang, I know now that they need length over gallons), and on top of it, it means that my light will no longer work for my setup so long story still long, I'm going to be cleaning up the tank and selling most of it to hopefully get some of my money back for getting a proper setup. No impulse buys this time.

I want to know the value of these items so I could know what I could sell it for and I'm not sure how much these things depreciate once they're used or in the condition they're in. So far I've been putting all of the items in an excel sheet with the prices everything is going for new since I'm not sure if it would be better to just do it as a group, or try to sell some things individually.

So I have...
  • 54 Gallon Aqueon Tank, oak color trim, with build in overflow drilled bottom
    • It has all the plumbing, but the return hose from the pipe is a bit split and the return comes out of two of those... black nozels with all of the joints
  • Oak stand (the only ones online now are made of pine from what I've found)
  • Glass top for the tank
  • Pro Clear Aquatic Systems model 75, 300 GPH wet/dry filter with bio balls
    • This has a crack in the acrylic near where the pipe goes in, however it's above the water line so it doesn't leak and I could always add a smear of silicone to it for good measure if that'll make a difference
  • One Tetra 150 Watt Heater
    • The black film from the outside has come off, how much of a difference would that make
  • One Rena Cal 200w Heater
    • It's discontinued so I'm guessing that means old, any value there? Black film is also coming off
  • Coralife light fixture
    • I do not know if it's T5 or hallide or anything like that, might just be fluorescent, I went with LED for my tank so I know NOTHING about any of those lights, there's no writing on the fixture other than the name. The bulbs look like this, and they do say 50/50 65 watt
    • Fixture is 30" long. It takes two light bulbs each bulb with 2 bulbs of it's own. The bulbs are about 21 inches.
  • Coralife UV sterilizer 3x
    • So uh... plugged it in and nothing happened. No light, nothing? The return pump that came with everything didn't work either.
  • There's also some chemicals and salt but he says the tank has been dry for a year so not so sure if I should just chuck those or not.
If you have any suggestions on ways to sell it, prices to sell it for, or what a good general rule for depreciation is please let me know.

Last edited:

hcker99

Sponsor
Gold Sponsor
Pics would help but the way we usually value used tanks is roughly $.50 per gallon. You'd probably get $100 for the tank stand and sump. Heaters roughly $5 each. The one with the black film coming off I would throw out and not take a chance on. The light you really need a pic of as different technologies have different values. The uv should have a power light on it. If the pump doesn't work it could be the impeller needs to be replaced or the pump is shot and then worthless. The chemicals and salt....if they are over a year old I would toss them out.

The things are down in the garage and outside so I'll get pictures tomorrow, I just took pics of the different labels on things for my research. The UV light has a power light but it also doesn't light up. The pump didn't even make a sound when I pluged it in.

Pics would help but the way we usually value used tanks is roughly $.50 per gallon. You'd probably get $100 for the tank stand and sump. Heaters roughly $5 each. The one with the black film coming off I would throw out and not take a chance on. The light you really need a pic of as different technologies have different values. The uv should have a power light on it. If the pump doesn't work it could be the impeller needs to be replaced or the pump is shot and then worthless. The chemicals and salt....if they are over a year old I would toss them out.
This is in no way directed at you, I promise that if it comes off that way at all it's just because I'm really really bad at hearing my own tone in things and I'm sorry if it does, I'm just baffled since 50 cents per gallon seems really really low to me. Maybe on nano tanks it might sound more reasonable to me, say $5 for a ten gallon sure, but to say that tanks that retail new for 2-9 dollars per gallon are only worth 50 cents seems really drastic. I researched what this setup would cost new from several different retailers, just the tank, lid, stand, and sump, and it averages around 900 dollars. I'm not trying to say I expect something near that, I understand that used isn't new by any means, just explaining my shock that any sort of rule is 50 cents per gallon, I mean would anybody honestly sell their 100 gallon tank for $50? And heck if they are I'll start making room now! :biggrin:

At the end of the day this is your setup and can sell it for whatever you feel comfortable with.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Absolutely, I'm sorry I wasn't trying to argue with you as I said, it was just shocking to me that it seemed to be the rate since there's tons of tanks online on the second hand market that aren't even close to that so it was rather disheartening to hear. Maybe I should be checking out more specialized places for resale.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
@Kai I had a 54g tank running. I had two tangs (yellow and powered brown) for 2 years. Here my thread My tank thread

Now I’m not saying it was the right move. Just showing you what a 54g tank can look like.

Reactions: Kai

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Personally, I’m very apprehensive about buying used items, no matter what it is. In this hobby, IMO it’s about the warranty that you get when you purchase anything new.

The way I see it, for a few dollars more I can always purchase something new vs. buying used. Unless I get it at serious discount or damn near free, I’m more than likely to pass.

erics210

NJRC Member
Kai,

A big question is your cost for everything. Feel free to message me. I have sold a handful of used tank setups.
If your impulse purchase only cost you $100- you are fine....lol

My experience is more of a second hand reef life. I am a reefer on a budget.
One of the ways I have acquired equipment I needed is by purchasing someone else's set up. and upgrading my equipment, lights, pumps, powerheads, etc.

Good Luck to you moving it along.

Reactions: Kai
@Kai I had a 54g tank running. I had two tangs (yellow and powered brown) for 2 years. Here my thread My tank thread

Now I’m not saying it was the right move. Just showing you what a 54g tank can look like.

That is a really nice looking setup, but if I’m going to be needing to spend more money on things like fixing my lighting setup I’d rather be way in the clear rather than barely getting away with something. If it was closer I might try but I’ve been seeing numbers of 4-6 feet for a yellow tang, and the yellow or blue are really the ones that I’m interested in and I’ve been seeing that blue ones need even more space so I’d rather skip too many little upgrades in between. I liked the idea of a corner tank visually though, I just wish they had more length in swimming space. It’s practically the same length as my 29

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally, I’m very apprehensive about buying used items, no matter what it is. In this hobby, IMO it’s about the warranty that you get when you purchase anything new.

The way I see it, for a few dollars more I can always purchase something new vs. buying used. Unless I get it at serious discount or damn near free, I’m more than likely to pass.

I understand that, I was really in it for the tank and stand, and I figured that the light it came with would be enough to supplement my existing light however the sizes were all messed up unfortunately. The person I got it from also said in writing that it all worked, so I’m going to go through the rest of everything and check it and maybe see if something could be done.

So does anyone know anything about this light? No writing or anything that I can find but I’ve got pics
b2ad83a7137fc4939eacca7f8dbe333e.jpg
73efe937cfd740c5fc0d5f461caac924.jpg

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I'd ditch the heaters to be safe, as well as those lights.
Trash the chemicals. Salt may be OK, it hardens but doesn't really go bad.
The UV may just need a new bulb, they need to be replaced often.
If the pump vibrates when its turned on try taking it apart and cleaning the propeller area, if it doesn't vibrate you can use it as a doorstop or put flowers in the outpipe.

Write it off as a learning experience. We've all been there.
Most of the stuff I initially bought when I got into the hobby was impulse and budget driven.
Most of that stuff ended up sold for cents on the dollar, given away, or left to rot in the garage.

Saying that you have a good sump you can hold onto and sell the tank and stand.
Petco should be having a big tank sale soon, you can grab a 40b for something like $60.
Grab a 40b metal stand for $50 online ((also petco) you can skin it with wood and magnets)).
A hang on back overflow (or a driller) for another $50-60...

Just don't skimp on the skimmer or lighting, and always try to buy larger than you need as you WILL be going bigger sooner than you think.
Keep your eyes on Craigslist and on the NJRC for sale forum.

Lovely :smilet_digitalpoint: I'll just have to see what I can manage then. Luckily that wasn't a light I planned to use (at least not on it's own, had hoped it might be supplemental to my black box 165 watt). I've got a lovely new pump doorstop so it seems, maybe I'll chuck the UV sterilizer in a pile to think about testing out a new light later, but since the power light didn't even go on I'm doubtful. That sump is smaller than my current sump which is a 20 high so even that doesn't work for me, at least it's not completely useless as I'm sure someone might want it.
At least it's a bit reassuring that you've suggested the sale and metal stand with an overflow on the back @Mark_C, as right now I have a 29 gal from a $/gal sale, the metal stand for it like you said, and my sump was also a $/gal and I've made a DIY PVC overflow and return. I'm just glad that I went above on my skimmer, it's a curve 5 and rated to 140 gallons thankfully. Maybe I'll check out what the petco sales are going to be and take this time to make a stand. Or maybe I'll just force myself to call it as being enough for now. Depends on how good that petco sale is gonna be on the bigger tanks.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Good call on the skimmer, those curve 5's are fantastic.
I'm upping from a 25g shallow reef to a 40b and keeping my current lighting (AI 26 or a Maxspect Razor, selling the one I don't use later).
Just going to island the center, drop the few sps I have in the mid top of the island closest to light, zoa and softie the rest of the rock, and leave a 2" sand border between the base and the glass where other low light softies can live.
No additional costs, bigger tank, more livestock (a chalk bass and a valentini puffer).
Also, no need for expense of live rock (though I have near 50 pounds in a 25 tank) as I've got 2 blocks of Marinepure for the sump.
Petco will be $1 per gallon with 40's and above at half price.

Yeah it pulls a lot of stuff out now and all I have is come corals and a CUC, I also kinda overfeed because I have some filter feeders in there, a big seafood counter clam and I don't want that little fella to die. I'll have to keep the petco sale in mind. My light is maxed out for the spread on my 29 so I guess I'd only keep corals in one part until I end up getting another light. If that happens. I keep needing to tell myself that my current setup is perfectly fine and I don't need an upgrade.

50 cents on the gallon? Lol I guess I owe the guy who bought my 180 money back, he bought it used for 500, sounds like I should have given to him for 90 dollars. If that were the case it would have been smashed inside a blanket and taken to the scrap yard