• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Useless and marginal products I have purchased over the years

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Brian said:
The Skilter Filter...Combo Hang on the back filter/skimmer. Wow is that thing terrible.
LOL.. some guy was trying to sell me one.. thank god i do my research before buying anything... most people keep them in their attics so i have read

Sea Clone Skimmer tops my list too, although I think it was a great aerator. The second item that always comes to my mind is the zoomed powersweep pump.

there is absolutely nothing wrong with a remora HOB for a nano. Mine does a great job

Yeah I had one too - that thing was GREAT actually. HOB skimmers CAN be good. Seems the AquaC Remoras are probably the best out there for that class.

Marginal: Coraffix coral glue - more expensive than most, very thin, long cure time compared to others. Best stuff I've found that's expensive is the loctite super control gel, a cheaper option is Titebond CA gel though the tip tends to clog if you don't take care of it.

For me it has to be hands down every ich medication on the market. All have failed to perform as advertised, and yes I understand the life cycles of ich and followed the treatment to the letter. The only solution is quarantine and hypo-salinity.

Plusrite MH bulbs, some may have had good result with them. But with my Hamilton Electronic Balast they would fry, literal burn out and get so hot they would melt the glass or explode.

I'll take obcure historical reef accessories for $200. The Silent Surge. A dump bucket-style wavemaker. It was a tank that hung on the wall. It filled and dumped its contents, much like a toilet flush.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

I second that.
afterIfixed.jpg
I just got one last Saterday. What is so bad about it?

I still have my glass tube thermometer in my tank that reads slightly low. My clowns host it at night, so I left it in for them. It consistantly reads 76, when it's actually 78.5. It suction cups to the glass. The clown wedges itself between the tube & the glass for the night. I guess it could be my backup.

Cobalt pellet food, the pellets are extremely large and do not soften. I had very high expectations from the description.

On the other hand they have very good heaters and good customer service.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Skilter. Berlin Skimmer. Under gravel filter with Dolimite Gravel. Reef Safe Ick Treatments. RIO pumps and sticking your hand into the tank fast- got zapped bad. Using Freshwater Mollies to cycle a tank- Ick is the least of your problems with Mollies. Every disease you can imagine.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
My first tank I purchased a Skilter was not to bad on a 30g fish only.
I was in FL 2 years ago and stopped at a aquarium store and the guy has several of them running on different tanks with coral.