• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Water Barrels 30 & 55 gallon

howze01 said:
Baxreefs said:
CJ & Jonathan 2 x 55s I'll drop them off with others Depending upon how many I need to bring I may be able bring the 50 g & stand too!

Just noticed the part about the tank. That would be awesome if that would work out. Although you could probably sell CJ some frags if we went up there

Good point! ;D

Try to come by Friday, going to LBI Saturday & catching a Furthur show at PNC Sunday on the way back.

I can drop the 50 & stand and some barrles to you next week if needed.

Got my barrels Bax- and pp sent. Any tips on getting the calcium deposits off of the outside? Can i like take a some sand paper or a wire brush and go to town? I was trying to figure out how to soak a 30 gallon barrel lol.. I was thinking the bathtub but that might make me single by the weekend. o_O!

asonitez said:
Got my barrels Bax- and pp sent. Any tips on getting the calcium deposits off of the outside? Can i like take a some sand paper or a wire brush and go to town? I was trying to figure out how to soak a 30 gallon barrel lol.. I was thinking the bathtub but that might make me single by the weekend. o_O!

A brush with a bucket of warm water and a healthy splash of vinegar will remove most of it. Where it is stubborn, straight vinegar, scrub and then scrub with the vinegar water.

Again, just so you know it is absolutely SAFE, for you and your reefs, this is litterally just calcium, it is completely harmless. I already spent more in man hours pressure washing these things then the deposits were worth! ;D But I figure its for a good cause!

I though a lot more folks would want the 55s and they are spotless!

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It's too hot to sit there and scrub, let the vinegar do the work. If it is really caked on, soak a paper towel with the vinegar solution and lay it on the barrel for 15-30 min. Then wipe off. Straight vinegar will take less time to disolve the calcium deposits. ;)

Thermosts said:
It's too hot to sit there and scrub, let the vinegar do the work. If it is really caked on, soak a paper towel with the vinegar solution and lay it on the barrel for 15-30 min. Then wipe off. Straight vinegar will take less time to disolve the calcium deposits. ;)

Word! ;D

So Dave, asonitez, mnat, Thermosts, and ricwilli have their barrels. Thanks guys!

I am very nearly out of the 30's.

But, I have tons of the 55s. However, they gotta go! I'll keep them around for a week or so more, then they are out of here.

Once agian, I have this dilema every six months or so. But, I never know what size barrels or what they may have held until they are here as my product usage varries. But I'm always using something, so ... it will happen again! ;D

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Baxreefs said:
howze01 said:
Baxreefs said:
CJ & Jonathan 2 x 55s I'll drop them off with others Depending upon how many I need to bring I may be able bring the 50 g & stand too!

Just noticed the part about the tank. That would be awesome if that would work out. Although you could probably sell CJ some frags if we went up there

Good point! ;D

Try to come by Friday, going to LBI Saturday & catching a Furthur show at PNC Sunday on the way back.

I can drop the 50 & stand and some barrles to you next week if needed.
You coming to LBI tomorrow?.. what time? I'm leaving to the poconos for a week at 11am

Sid

We did not leave until nearly 2 PM.

Let me know when you are back and we'll figure something out.

My odest is starting at Stockton College this fall, so worst case, I'll get them to you then.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Bax, Please scratch me from the list this time, I was looking for a 30, but if you do get them all the time, I'll wait for the later. It just doesn't seem like it will happen this time and I'm in no rush. Thanks anyway, Nice to see barells available to members again!

Tazmaniancowboy said:
Bax, Please scratch me from the list this time, I was looking for a 30, but if you do get them all the time, I'll wait for the later. It just doesn't seem like it will happen this time and I'm in no rush. Thanks anyway, Nice to see barells available to members again!

No problem!

I'll have them from time and time and make them available as I can.

Bax - first let me thank you for the barrels, much appreciated.

To anyone who purchased a 30 gallon, and is looking to clean them up a little, here is what I am doing.

I purchased a large white vinegar from BJ's, but if you are not a member of one of these clubs, any super market will do for a smaller size.

I wanted concentrated strength, but did not want to purchase many bottles to fill a small pool.

So, I tipped my barrel on its side and stabilized the barrel so it would not move.

Then I layered papered towels from the top of the barrel to the bottom. I used 3 rows of 3 paper towels, and then put a second layer on top of that for additional weight/saturation.

I then soaked the paper towels with vinegar, and allowed them to sit on top of the barrel for a while. If you have paper towels that will hold up, you could always put the vinegar in a bucket, soak the paper towels and apply. Kind of like paper mache.

This method is working great for me, and for the most part is hands off, just have to spend a little time with the application of the paper towels, and a little post cleanup for the few spots that are missed.

Dave

Thanks Dave

That's a great method for cleaning them up and making look real spotless. Any of those small patches iside or out should pose no issues to your reef. This form of calcium get so hard, it is really not going to go any where if on the outside. If on the inside, it will dissolve over time, but not very rapidly.

This calcium is a "food grade" calcium peroxide powder (not that I would recomend eating it) that has been re-sized to true nano scale particle sizes for injection in environmental applications. It is the resizing that makes it solidify so hard. You should see what we have to do to clean our pumps, hoses and mix vessles. I've toyed around with dosing it for a reef supplement adding it directly to my sump so rest assure, I think it is very reef safe! 8)

paper towels? HAH

I took some sandpaper and a wire brush in a batub filled with 4 gallons of dollar store vinegar and scalding hot water... then i just rolled the barrel around soaking each side.. cleaned up well.

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Baxreefs said:
Sid

My odest is starting at Stockton College this fall, so worst case, I'll get them to you then.
ok sounds like a plan :).. but if you come down this way sooner or if im heading up your way before then would be nice.. I just really want to give the 30 loaner i have now back.. i hate having other peoples things for to long even though they say they don't mind

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The_Codfather said:
Baxreefs said:
Sid

ok sounds like a plan :).. but if you come down this way sooner or if im heading up your way before then would be nice.. I just really want to give the 30 loaner i have now back.. i hate having other peoples things for to long even though they say they don't mind

Sid are you planning on attending the meeting next month? If you are, I can bring one down with me for you.

Taz

I almost fell over laughing when I read his post! I bet he still dumps skimmer juice down the kitchen sink!!! ;D

Sid

I have two for you we'll get'em to you. I can always leave them at CJ & Jonathan's on Rt 22 near Rt 287. I am by there often.

To all interested:

I still have two 30s left one white and one blue.

I have many of the 55s left as well, but I do want to clear out the unclaimed barrels by the end of August at the latest. I need the room!

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thermosts said:
The_Codfather said:
Baxreefs said:
Sid

Sid are you planning on attending the meeting next month? If you are, I can bring one down with me for you.
I do plan on going but i will know better closer to the date when it is posted

Baxreefs said:
Taz

I almost fell over laughing when I read his post! I bet he still dumps skimmer juice down the kitchen sink!!! ;D

Sid

I have two for you we'll get'em to you. I can always leave them at CJ & Jonathan's on Rt 22 near Rt 287. I am by there often.

To all interested:

I still have two 30s left one white and one blue.

I have many of the 55s left as well, but I do want to clear out the unclaimed barrels by the end of August at the latest. I need the room!
Thank you Bax.. sounds like this is going to work out...