• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Water Changes

In my 15g I've been doing about a 5g WC every other week.

When I had an aftermarket 240gph pump in my Tunze 9002 it was clean as anything, but with the stock pump it's starting to get a little green but nitrates and nitrites are 0. I have about 13 lbs of LR in the tank.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We do 10% weekly on all of our tanks. The 30 g is a bit different because of the open top and evaporation we get so we are adding a gallon almost every other day of RO. You don't have as much room for error with a nano due to the small volume so weekly water changes are a very good thing.

3 gallons religiously on Saturday afternoon.. Water is made on Friday afternoon. I use seachem reef salt. I never miss a Saturday, blow off the rocks with a turkey baster every morning ( feeds the tank ) and I only feed my tank once a week. Parameters are perfect all the time. There is 24lbs of live rock in the tank.

I change mine every 2 weeks and never had a problem....my brothers tank hasnt been changed in over a year.....and all thefish are alive and happy so not sure whats going on there.

my 20g tank seems to do really well with water changes of about 15% every ten days. It is open top, so I end up adding RO/DI into the refugium to keep specific gravity constant every 2-3 days.

2.5 gallons weekly on my 24 gallon. i was doing about 5 gallons weekly but was running into problems. i think that the huge spike in mineral content too quickly from large water changes can actually be counter-productive... just my 2 1/2 cents.

Interesting, do you siphon out or just use like a big gulp cup? Ha, never heard of anyone doing that, good idea though. Even if you miss a day or 2 its still only a gallon.

Funny but it is a Big Gulp type cup. I just lift the return pipe (from the chiller that goes into a small HOB refuge) and fill the cup. Then put the new water in the back. I don't know if it is the best way, but it is easy and has worked well for my tank (everything growing nicely).