• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What am I doing wrong

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Do you have Dino? Brown, stringy and snails usually die... sounds like Dino.

I believe it is Dinis, second time this year.
Doing a three day black out and using vibrant in conjunction with peroxide.
If that falls maybe fluczinol

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
If it is Dino, black out is not effective. It will temporally reduce but will be back 100% once lights are back on. Dino love water changes. Are you using GFO or iron supplement? Peroxide will not do anything to dinos. I did a search and nothing comes up that fluconazole helps with dinoflagellates

What are your Phosphates and Nitrates numbers?

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I have not done a water change yet.
The blackout is to help the vibrant & peroxide get rid of the dinos. A blackout alone will not help.
I cannot find the thread about Fluconazole to fight dinos, will keep looking.
I was using carbon but pulled the bag a few weeks ago.

When my sons tank had dinos long ago it took a blackout, peroxide and no water changes.
The blackout was for 1 week, then I gave the corals a 1/2 day of light then back to black for another week. The blackout will keep the dinos in the water column vs sticking to everything. Peroxide will knock them out. I believe I was doing peroxide for almost a month.
Also, no water changes and add nothing except peroxide. Everything you add will fuel the dinos including newly mixed water. I did not do a water change for a long time, and when I did It was small and coupled with a day of dark.
After a while things just got back to normal and never saw them again.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I'll also add that prior to this I siphoned out as much as I could to kick it all off. Find a filter sock with the smallest opening you can. Most dinos will likely still pass through but it will help some.

Last edited:

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I did notice a small pattern.
Last time my Calc was 500+ and Alk was 15
Now Calc is 800+ and Alk over 20.
Just wondering if this has anything to do with the dinos.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Wow Mark that's high . a few water changes you will be good

It's a catch 22. Change water it feeds dinos. No WC and will take very long for calc and Alk to go down. My plan is no WC until dino s are gone or very close to gone.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I would need a 100% WC to bring them down.....LOL
I will deal with dinos first then do a WC this weekend if things start to look better.