• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What am I doing wrong

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I still don't think that is dinos. Looks more like Red Slime to me.

It's possible! i would know if it is Dino's if there was a better photo or video. Is the snots floating in the water column and on the corals? His numbers are so out of normal parameters that it could have killed the snails.

I have had many fights with Red Slime and there were times where the red slime got so out of control that it got stringy, blew all over the place, and had bubbles in it. Almost looked identical to his photo with the overflow in the background. Hence why I don't think it is dinos. But yes, if he can get a better photo, I can know for sure.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I will get a pic tomorrow after the blackout period.
I had the same thing earlier this year and thought red slime, picked up slime remover and no good.
Yes, the snots are on some of my coral.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Mark what salt mix are you using?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK not Reef crystal.

Also, was at PetCo before just talking and another customer mentioned their sea cucumber. Well I had one but have not seen it and wonder if if it finally died and nuked the tank.

OK not Reef crystal.

Also, was at PetCo before just talking and another customer mentioned their sea cucumber. Well I had one but have not seen it and wonder if if it finally died and nuked the tank.

It won’t rise your Alk if it died.
Test your fresh saltwater mixed to see what’s the Alk and Cal level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Do not increase or decrease alkalinity levels more than 0.5meq/L or 1.4 dKH per day. If necessary spread the suggested dose out and test between doses/water changes. You were at 20 and now at 15

Try not to increase/decrease Calcium more than 50 ppm per day. Since you need a larger changes are required spread the dose over a few days. I think you were at 800 and now at 300

Paul B

NJRC Member
Dosed Vibrant today.

vibrant in conjunction with peroxide.

Fluconazole

picked up slime remover

This is how most problem threads begin. By using all sorts of chemicals to combat something that is not a problem, but the treatment is. Those things you are adding all have side effects which in combination could make things seem worse. Seawater is very stable if you don't mess with it. I don't even have test kits and I never have problems.
Unless your tank is loaded with SPS corals you don't "hardly" even have to dose anything.
Dino's and red slime will in most cases remove themselves as long as you stop bothering it. It is a normal process in a cycling tank, and before you post it, a tank never completely cycles as the process is an ongoing thing in a functioning system and it could take years before the right combination of bacteria, viruses, cyano, dino's and algae reach the correct proportions and density to settle down and work together. By you dosing and tweeking things for a quick fix, you are short circuiting the process and actually making it much longer. Many threads start out like this and very few of them ever right themselves. Most of the problems in tanks are caused by us.

I have been doing this a long time and me and Moses used to talk about it all the time. I also made more mistakes and dosed enough chemicals to fill one of the smaller Great Lakes so I feel bad for you. Eventually I found out that a tank will take care of itself.

I have a little cyano, red slime, algae, flatworms etc. It is all fine and normal and part of a healthy ecosystem.

I can't give you any advice as to what to do because I feel you will want to keep doing these things as most people do and I don't know the effects of what you already added. But I hope it all works out because I like to see everyone with a healthy, functioning, natural reef. Good luck.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Paul, I do agree and normally I'm a hands off person. But when I see red stringy crap encompassing my coral I felt the need to act.
Using a turkey baster to blow off the stuff helps but starts right up again.
I too have a little slime and other algae which is fine, the ocean has it too but it needs to be kept in check.