• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Whats in the back of your NANO?

???

Hi Guys, I am new to this website.. but let me tell u about my tank.. Its a 24 gallon dx Nano cube.

I have 2 clown, 2 damsels (black and white stripes), 1 yellow tail damsel, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 purple lobster, 1 seabea anemone, 2 narisuss snails, and lots of crabs...

I was on the reef central website and asked people there how they set up the back of there tank. Most people agreed and said that they have filter floss, purigen, phosremover, carbon, chemi pure, heater and a return pump.

I then went to buy my anemone at my favorite LFS (Red Sand, (Dunellen, NJ)) and I was asking advice how to set up my back chambers and he said only put filter floss, carbon, and live rocks... and pump and heater..

Can you guys tell me whats best??? I have removed my bio balls from my tank now.. and added live rocks in the back of the tank.. I should be getting my shippment of all those chemicals on thrusday. .but don't know if I should take the LFS advice.. or the people at reef central..

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I've been running a 12g Nano DX for 2 years with nothing in the back but a temp probe, a heater and those sponges that came with it. The only problem I had with my system is that two ugly, aggressive corals grew out of control and killed all of the good looking stuff.

I had 2 purple fire fish, a peppermint shrimp and skunk cleaner in it as of last Friday when I decided it was time to tear it apart and start over. I plan on putting the sponges and temp probe back in the first chamber. Some live rock rubble and the heater in the second. The pump will be alone in the third chamber.

I'm not sure how I'm going to stock it yet. One thing for sure, though, there will be NO FRILLY MUSHROOMS or BROWN BUTTON POYLPS!

Welcome to NJRC, by the way. I hope you find us to be informative and helpful!

Hello there and welcome to NJRC!

I have a 12Gallon AP. All I have in the back is a egg crate holder that I made with 2 sections. an upper and lower half. This fits perfectly into chamber 1 but leaves about 3 inches to the bottom of the overflow cuts. The picture here does not show the divider in the middle, but you get the idea.

egg.jpg

I have phosguard 100ml bag in the upper half and then on top of the whole thing I put filter floss covered by another piece of egg crate to hold it in place. I am fortunate enough not to have a heater in the tank so the only other thing I have in chamber 4 is the return pump ( maxijet 900, only 8.5 watts )

The 24lbs of live rock in the tank and the 1.5" sand bed keep everything just fine, and the water is crystal clear. When using filter floss, just make sure not to use too much or you will restrict the flow of water in the back chambers. Just use enough ( you will know if you are ok )

My tank is not heavily modded, but some might think so. I have an external chiller and pump that adds an additional 240-260GPH back into the tank. This combined with the 235 from the MJ900 gives me about a 49x turnover rate. I personally think it is just enough. I keep the temps low and the flow moderate to high.

I don't think you need all those things in there.. Start with making sure your parameters are correct and if anything like silicates or phosphates are outta wack then put some phosguard in there. If your nitrates start to get high then do some water changes or cut back on your bio load. Seems like a lot of live stock in there ( but I don't know the sizes )

Is this tank a Fish Only? Do you have live rock in the main display area of the tank? Chemipure has carbon in it and also phosphate remover if you get the elite version, so you don't need all that other stuff. Again if phophates or silicates are a problem, remove the chemipure-elite and put in phosguard 100ml.

Welcome! Personally I would rely more on water changes and less on chemicals to maintain water quality. With your bioload I would definitely be doing water changes weekly. I can't believe I am going to say this, but I'd have to agree with your lfs. I would just make sure you change out the filter floss everytime you do a water change. I would agree with mynd- break out the chemicals when water changes don't seem to be enough.

Eric

Thanks guys.. I really love your website.. especially since all you guys are from NJ... or close to NJ..

I Have decided that I will stick with the rocks in the back chamber and add the filter floss and the carbon.. none of the other stuff..

I actually do a two gallon water change every week.. I do have a lot of fishes in there.. but.. I really like them.. and they aren't harming each other..

I have been doing this for only 3 months now.. and I already am dreaming of a 120 gallon tank.. lol..

I really hope my clownfish takes that anemone.. ;D

Welcome to NJ reefers....that is up to you, personally i would not bother with bio balls, but the sponge is a great thing. Keep it, also if it comes with carbon keep that as well, just in case one day something goes wrong with your tank..I would empty out you back and start a fuge, or add a skimmer. Its really up to you. I added a skimmer to my 6 gallon tank. I do water changes bi monthly and the skimmer still picks up lots of crap. The bio balls are garbage and take up space. HTH..

We want pictures not a belly itcher... Host them here - http://photobucket.com/ and after you upload them in a 640x480 format then link them here with the 4th option under the image at photobucket. Hope that makes sense.

I actually have stock lights.. 2 (36watts 10,000k white/blue antics?).. just what came with it.. The anemone is seabae anemone.. and I have perculas..

Amritroy2003 said:
I actually have stock lights.. 2 (36watts 10,000k white/blue antics?).. just what came with it.. The anemone is seabae anemone.. and I have perculas..
I don't think the light you have is sufficient. Anemones need alot of light and really stable water condition.

As for the clowns, some sources see them incopatibile, but Wet Web Media sees them compatibile (if you have true and not false percula):

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/inverts/cnidaria/anthozoa/heteraccrispa.htm

mladencovic said:
Amritroy2003 said:
I don't think the light you have is sufficient. Anemones need alot of light and really stable water condition.

As for the clowns, some sources see them incopatibile, but Wet Web Media sees them compatibile (if you have true and not false percula):

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/inverts/cnidaria/anthozoa/heteraccrispa.htm

Well, I've had it for 4 days.. and it hasn't moved, meaning, its not floating to the top, its secured itself into a rock and sand..

WELCOME! I like this thread because maybe i can get some opinions for the back chambers too. Right now i have:

Chamber 1 - stock sponge and filter floss on top. I hate the sponge but right now its holding the plastic i put in against the bottom and middle intakes. Anyone with an idea of what to do please let me know.
Chamber 2 - Temp probe
Chamber 3 - Live rock rubble
Chamber 4 - heater and maxi-jet 900

How is everything going Amri? Hope all is well.. Looking forward to hearing and seeing more. Let us know how things are progressing.. :)

In chamber one I have added a mj600, on top of which sits half of a stock sponge topped with filter floss. I made chamber two a fuge with L/R rubble and chaeto and in three: OK, you asked for it.....Mj900, heater, ICA chiller pump, intake, and return hoses. Yup, no really its all in there! ;D

I am setting up my new nano cube 24 DX and am have some things to put in the filtration system. Let me know what you guys think about it please.

chamber 1 the 2 sponges that same with it along with the surface skimmer addon
chamber 2 the 1 sponge that came with it, followed by chemi pure and then filter floss on top
chamber 3 heater/pump

How does that look? I have 4 small fish and a shrimp, clown, bicolor blenny, 6 line wrasse and yellow clown goby. I have a back wall of live rock and live sand...also how do you guys use cheato in the back if there is no window in the rear of the tank for a light? I cant seem to find anything explaining how to put lights back there or underwater LEDS. Thanks in advance

Wow, old thread lol.... but that's not a bad thing.

IMO, too many sponges to keep clean. I would keep the one in the first chamber and top it with floss, again, JMO

As for the chaeto / light question, the back of nano-cubes are covered in a thin black vinyl that can be removed so a light can be added to the back of the tank. I will try to find an old pic of my NC12 DX and post for you.

OK, copied from my N-R thread-

While at lowes hunting for a lamp to use for tank maint. and also for the makings of a fuge light I found this in the clearance bin. It should serve as both. Cheesy, maybe, but It should work I hope. (Not bad for five bucks?)

100_4208.jpg

100_4209.jpg

Mounted ballast and timer/powerstrip on backof (tiny/almost useless stand)
100_4205.jpg

cut back for fuge... (hope your all not bored already !)
100_4212.jpg

Hope this helps some. ;)
--Richie